News   Jul 08, 2024
 343     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 991     6 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 592     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

" . . . a good cashmere overcoat (with a silk scarf), as worn by Sterling Hayden visiting Toronto in 1942:" QUOTE thecharioteer.

C'mon Charioteer, that's not Sterling Haydon!

That's General JACK D RIPPER as a young man.

Reguards,
J T

When I first saw Dr Strangelove as a teen in the early 70s I thought the first 10 minutes was shaping up to be a Stoner Movie. :)

sterling.jpg

I like the idea of a dressy, buttonless trenchcoat, especially on someone tall and slim ... but it requires a certain finesse in the wearing that this guy can't manage. When the wrapped-around effect slips ( as above ) it gives the impression of someone who just got out of bed and threw on their dressing gown, and the parting of the coat at crotch level, combined with the hands in pockets stance and the wide-apart legs, make it too creepy/pervy for words.

U.S., you truly are the Doyenne of this site and your sage commentary has been missed. You are, of course, absolutely right about Johnny Guitar's trenchcoat (why didn't I see it?). I have a hunch you would approve of William Holden's coat (and tux) in Sunset Boulevard. Am I correct?

sunset-blvd-original.jpg

Best dressed men in toronto

If we're going to name the "Best Dressed Men in Toronto" can we ignore this character?

Attachments

• grapes.jpg
    grapes.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 310
Best Dressed Men

If we're going to name the "Best Dressed Men in Toronto" can we ignore this character?

Attachments

• grapes.jpg
    grapes.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 299
U.S., you truly are the Doyenne of this site and your sage commentary has been missed. You are, of course, absolutely right about Johnny Guitar's trenchcoat (why didn't I see it?). I have a hunch you would approve of William Holden's coat (and tux) in Sunset Boulevard. Am I correct?

sunset-blvd-original.jpg

I'm not going to get involved with this one. :)

Unrelated, and just for fun:

Then. "Group of women in High Park 1913".

GroupwomeninHighPark1913.jpg

Now. Last week I think this was. In from the cold at College Park.

CSC_0029-1.jpg

January 25 addition.

Then. "November 28 1932. Esplanade [can't make it out] E from Princess".

s0372_ss0079_it0660.jpg

Now. November 2010.

DSC_0040.jpg

This is one of the best Then & Nows posted that illustrate that sometimes Toronto does get it right. Now if we could only get the Esplanade extended directly into the Distillery District......

(Does anyone know why The Esplanade doesn't link up with Mill Street?)

Last edited:
January 27 addition.

Then. "Adelaide and Victoria - track. June 9, 1911".

Note the wonderful old sign: Toronto Electric Light Co".

s0372_ss0058_it0053.jpg

Now. November 2010.

DSC_0035.jpg

E.J. Lennox in front of his Freehold Savings and Loan Building, one of the worst losses of the the 50's-60's blitz:

781px-E_J__Lennox_and_the_Freehold_Loan_Building.jpg

Gentlemen:

When all else fails: either think British:

princeofwales1927.jpg

Can anyone explain the background to that photo? It looks like big blocks of something that doesn't belong there, maybe damage to the negative? Compare it with this one from a Vancouver Natural History Society camp in the 1920s or so to Boothanie Valley

81923BotahniecCamp4_1.jpg

Attachments

• 81923BotahniecCamp4_1.jpg
    81923BotahniecCamp4_1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 703
This is one of the best Then & Nows posted that illustrate that sometimes Toronto does get it right. Now if we could only get the Esplanade extended directly into the Distillery District......

(Does anyone know why The Esplanade doesn't link up with Mill Street?)

Urban cul-de-sac? Keep the trucks and cars from the former industrial areas east of Parliament out of this residential area?

"Geez, you're older than I thought. I'm soooo young still T_T" QUOTE TKWizard.

Don't let the grey hair fool you; truth be known, some of us "olde tymers", are only in our mid 20's!

We dye our hair grey to appear OLDER + WISER. The furrowed brow in the above self portrait is due to

Photoshop. I can say no more other than that our >secret agenda< is "on target".

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Gentlemen:

When all else fails: either think British:

princeofwales1927.jpg

Can anyone explain the background to that photo? It looks like big blocks of something that doesn't belong there, maybe damage to the negative? Compare it with this one from a Vancouver Natural History Society camp in the 1920s or so to Boothanie Valley

View attachment 6312

It is very curious because it and the other photos in the set are of the Prince of Wales opening the Princes' Gates in 1927 down at the CNE.

An interesting side-note to this visit (given the current interest in Edward's brother George, as portrayed in "The King's Speech"), is that George, the Duke of Kent, accompanied Edward on this visit to Toronto, resulting in the naming of the gates for both "princes". George can be seen in this pic (to the right):

princeofwales1927a.jpg

princeofwales1927b.jpg

And here, at City Hall:

princes.jpg

And the gates (here referred to as the Prince of Wales Gate):

princesgates.jpg

Last edited:

Back