News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 964     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 365     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I was having some difficulty understanding the placement of the main entrance to the "popular" Cawthra House (King/Bay NE corner) until I realized that the Toronto Public Library images were reproduced in reverse.

CawthraHouseimages.jpg

Goldie: Good eye! I never picked up on that. Now I'm wondering if the church steeple is that appears to the right of the "correct" version is St. James? That would make sense.

August 20 addition.

Then.

nebayandalbert1.jpg

Later. Eaton's Annex store. Those of you over 40 may remember the old - very old - wooden escalators.

nebayandalbert2.jpg

Now. July 2010.

DSC_0271.jpg

Thanks Mustapha-love Gilead!!

Re: Moppets, I take note of the young child on the right. Appears to be a young Afro-Canadian child. I'd be interested in knowing if any UT'ers know much about the black community in Toronto at this time-or have anecdotes/links/books of note to share on this topic.

With Toronto's early Black community centred around the area of king/sumach, the presence of this little child has piqued my curiousity of this fascinating and important part of Toronto's early history. I did read KAren Smardz-Frost' s I’ve Got a Home in Glory Land that provides additional details (and what-if's) on Thornton and Lucie Blackburn's influence (who lived at Eastern and Sumach) as escaped slaves in early Toronto

kitestate,

You're welcome. I caused your love inadvertently. The picture set was in the rotation. :)

I also noted that child.

Black - may I use that word? - as you have used "Afro-Canadian" - citizens in early Toronto were not documented by the City photographers except by accident. Other than the Blackburn's and a very few others, we can only guess what their individual stories were. I hope your appeal generates feedback. It would be more than interesting to hear from someone of 10th generation descendancy something of that community's history.

I do realize the main purpose of threads like this is to discuss lost structures and vastly changed streetscapes; but the street vendor, urchin or moppet, the citizens in the street staring into the lens so long ago - they built, lived in and maintained the physical City. Sometimes I contemplate what their stories might have been, the visible minority citizens too. So, during a busy day I take a moment and think of the directories that wwwebster has posted here. I fictionalize that the streetcar driver in a Then picture may have lived on Gilead or Sackville.

I'm reminded of a dear gentleman whose grandson was a friend of my son. His family had a shoe business - their stores - Blatchford Shoes - appear in many Yonge street Then scenes.

The UTers here who have already shared personal stories - thank you.

"Public lavatory at Toronto and Adelaide streets 189?"

s0376_fl0001_it0090b.jpg

s0071_it5818.jpg

nomoreatorontonian: we've seen goldie on the midway at Sunnyside. You're up next, if you will so indulge us. :)

Very vaguely. My mother dragged me there once or twice as a wee lad. I think I cried there once after getting separated from her for a minute. :)

Hopefully she comforted you with a soft ice cream cone from the machine strategically located at the Eaton store end of the tunnel connecting to the Annex. :)

Help. Does anyone know the whereabouts of these places? Thanks in advance. :)

s0372_ss0033b_it0298.jpg

s0372_ss0033_it0157.jpg

s0372_ss0033_it0086.jpg

s0372_ss0033b_it0102.jpg

Lovatt Place was a dead-end street heading east from Sumach Street, the next intersection north of Wascana Ave, roughly where the post-Regent Park-recompassed Shuter intersects Sumach. Williamson Place is harder to figure out, except it was in the vicinity of 124-126 Eastern Ave, placing it iin the vicinity of the intersection of Eastern and the "old" stretch of Sumach Street (the one cut off by the raised sections of Adelaide and Richmond streets). Both are long gone from the city grid.

Haven't figured out Lima and Madeira Place.

Madeira ran east off Parliament between Oak and Gerrard. Lima ran east off Parliament just south of Queen, opposite the old Presbyterian church which still stands on the west side.

Blatchford Shoes was on Yonge Street around the corner from our street, St Germain. We would go there when we didn't want to go downtown (which took an hour by streetcar). I found the Blatchford family selling shoes in both the 1861 and in the 1901 Toronto censuses.

Another part of Toronto with a number of Afro Canadian families in the 1860s was St John's Ward (Queen Street West to Bloor Street, Yonge over to University for those who aren't familiar with the old ward names). Many of them worked as waiters in downtown hotels. Others had barber shops. I met Karen Smardz Frost in May and she knew of this community as well.

Eaton's Annex tunnel. I remember the soft ice cream and also the smell of paint that always permeated the place.

s0372_ss0033b_it0102.jpg

Could this be a visit by the census taker?

Attachments

• census.jpg
    census.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 405
This is probably the VERY FIRST photograph of an urban street scene (Paris in 1838).

Aug. 19 was celebrated as "World Photography Day" because on that day in 1839 France made the official announcement of the invention of photography by Louis Daguerre.

This is also the VERY FIRST photograph of a PERSON!

Boulevard_du_Temple_Parisfirstphotographofapersonby_Daguerre1838-small.jpg

^ Thanks for that Goldie. You know, given the choice between the above photo with all it's marks, hot spots and miscellaneous scratches as opposed to a perfect, crisp modern digital print, I'd rather have the above print hanging on my wall.

^ Thanks for that Goldie. You know, given the choice between the above photo with all it's marks, hot spots and miscellaneous scratches as opposed to a perfect, crisp modern digital print, I'd rather have the above print hanging on my wall.

In 160 years our current modern digital file will not look so crisp anymore either lol
If anyone can even open the files anymore

Back