News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Gooderham Flatiron Building - taken from south east corner of Front and Church August 2010

front_church_2010.jpg

I should have taken a few more steps east :)

Practically forgot how the "Old Old City Hall" centrepiece to St Lawrence Market was once un-sandblasted.

Oh, and does anyone else think the Beardmore Building looked better before than after? (It almost seems like in the earlier picture, it was already on a precocious gentrification path.)

Take note that many of the present doorways/windows between 35+49 have interchanged.

Regards,
J T

Mustapha recently noted the intimate details that can be found within some of the 'oldies'.
I was prompted to isolate these images.

detailsinoldies.jpg

Hi west_end_kid. I couldn't find anything online about the Worthington Block in your pic. It seems its loss is unsung. It always amazes me how some buildings survive and their neighbours don't. I realize it isn't some sort of random game; but still...

August 16 addition.

Then. February 26, 1912. Gilead Place.

s0372_ss0032_it0045.jpg

Now. July 2010.

DSC_0426.jpg

From Corktown to St. George:

The Beverley/College/St. George intersection in 1913:

beverleycollege1913.jpg

Behind the fence on the right was architect William Cumberland's home Pendarvis (1860):

Pendaris_on_St__George_Street-1.jpg

bevmap-1.jpg

Today:

beverleycollege.jpg

bev.jpg

Mustapha recently noted the intimate details that can be found within some of the 'oldies'.
I was prompted to isolate these images.

detailsinoldies.jpg

A theme that runs through many of these Then pictures - for me - is the dusty faced moppet about 2 years of age standing in the street with seemingly nothing to do or play with. I had dinner recently with my 83 year old neighbour - a native of the Great Republic of Gerrard and Carlaw - he mentioned that the phrase: "the game ended when he took the ball home" was a reality in his 1930s childhood when a football cost serious money.

I wonder how many of these old pictures show ancestors of our families or neighbours? Quite some time ago in this thread nomoreatorontonian mentioned that her father appeared in a picture of a group of cyclists at the CNE.

thecharioteer: anyone with a bit of historical curiosity may easily see Pendarvis. First lane north of College off Beverly running east. She is in fine shape but the face that she used to present onto College street is hidden now...

August 17 addition.

Then. Gilead Place, again. Looking the other way - south this time - and twenty four years later: September 23, 1936. Note moppets in picture. :)

s0372_ss0033_it0062.jpg

Now. July 2010. There is still laneway housing in Gilead Place - the gray brick structure is a row of townhomes.

DSC_0419.jpg

Thank you!

The Toronto Public Library has the most unfriendly website + pics that I have ever seen;

they do however, have some 'nice stuff'.

Regards,
J T

^ ‘Twas nothing. :) Now this, this is one of the most interesting finds I’ve turned up lately:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=construction AND journal AND collection:toronto

Construction: a Journal for the Architectural Engineering and Contracting Interests of Canada

There are 12 volumes available, starting with Volume 2 (November 1908 through October 1909). Volume 5 is also missing, and the last one available is Volume 14 (January 1921 through December 1921). Probably less than 20% of it is Toronto stuff, but they’re filled with rare photographs (interior and exterior) and floor plans as well as interesting construction details. There’s so much material to absorb I’m still browsing through them. Here’s one example of what you’ll find in Volume 4, which is the poorest-quality scan of the bunch (you’ll need to zoom in to 100% to really see the floor plans properly).

Mason and Risch Piano Warehouse, 230 Yonge, under construction in 1911 (5 pages):

http://www.archive.org/stream/constructionjour04macduoft#page/n189/mode/2up

Completed, 1911 (10 pages, with interior photos)

http://www.archive.org/stream/constructionjour04macduoft#page/n533/mode/2up

Two bonus images from the Toronto Archives. Circa 1919:

https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.com/webcat/systems/toronto.arch/resource/fo1231/f1231_it0338.jpg

…and apparently undergoing demolition (late ‘60s / early ‘70s?):

https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.co....arch/resource/fo0124/f0124_fl0001_id0069.jpg

I wonder how many of these old pictures show ancestors of our families or neighbours? Quite some time ago in this thread nomoreatorontonian mentioned that her father appeared in a picture of a group of cyclists at the CNE.

I'm reminded of this photo from the archives which possibly includes me (circled).
Sure looks like me at that age and I certainly remember how much I enjoyed those cars at Sunnyside.
I may have previously posted this - not sure.

GoldieatSunnyside.jpg

Back