:cool:Happy Dominion Day:cool:

1904, Hoskins Ave

f1568_it0393.jpg

1952, Riverdale Park
f1257_s1057_it2083.jpg

1966, Yonge Street, North York
f0217_s0249_fl0300_it0001.jpg

July 2 addition.

Then. James street, looking N from Albert street. February 1913.

james1913.jpg

Later. February 9, 1917.

james1917.jpg

Now. June 2010. Our Church of the Holy Trinity is still there, behind the trees.

james2010.jpg

Another pair of James Street photos, showing Holy Trinity Church vanish from view as the Eaton's warehouses expand:

f1244_it1160a.jpg

f1244_it1160b.jpg

Then. June 14, 1950. Terauley Street again. This time looking west. Note the doorway as our reference at the end of the street on the far side of Bay street.

s0372_ss0058_it2071.jpg

Now. June 2010. There is our doorway again. A Now shot from the same perspective is impossible owing to Terauley being built over.

DSC_0193.jpg

I love these 'impossible' Now and Then's! There seem to be several versions of how this happens: sometimes the perspective doesn't exist anymore (as above); sometimes the building doesn't exist anymore; and sometimes the building is there, the perspective is there, but the view is gone. One of my favourite examples of the latter is the old Board of Education building at College and McCaul. Its a rather extraordinary orphaning of a building and its setting. The good news is that the building in question is still in use...

5f2c92e3.png

3ba8dbd4.gif

efdc4bf8.gif

105dc991.gif

ff7bd8e7.gif

94c49f96.gif

01a7bfcb.gif

Last edited:
Another mystery to be solved. I would suspect, deepend, that when one compares the archival pic with the contemporary TO Maps view, the building in question was moved southerly at some point. In the archival pic, it appears about mid-point between the Lennox's Stewart Building and the pair of Victorian semis, only slightly set-back from College Street. On the TO Map, it's substantially set-back and seems closer to where the houses once stood. The location of the houses can be seen in the 1910 Goad, at which point this Education building is not yet constructed.

collegemccaul.jpg

e010757088-v8-1.jpg

Post-script:

Apparently the building was moved in 1959 to make way for the new Board of Education Building:

from: http://wx.toronto.ca/inter/culture/...96B933F0D991CEB78525757B00746E60?OpenDocument

"A neo-classical inspired building dating to 1915. The first floor of the former Toronto Board of Education administrative office houses a restored boardroom, now an education museum. Adjacent to the boardroom, the original walnut paneled Trustees' Committee Room functions as an additional display area and researchers' reading room. The crisp use of classical detailing is evident throughout the museum space's cast plaster ceilings, mouldings and cornice details. Woodcarvings in the rich mahogany dais, as well as egg and dart mouldings, Corinthian capitals and pilasters, and acanthus leaf decoration add to the beauty of the interior space. The building's elaborate exterior facade (north) echoes the interior design. The building was moved to its present location in 1959 to make way for the "new" Toronto Board of Education Administrative Building at 155 College Street."

Last edited:
It is curious that in an era that launched the blitzkreig of Victorian Toronto, this particular Edwardian building was deemed worthy of preservation (and the effort of moving it). The only other example I can think of a relocated building during this era, was the university building on the NE corner of St. George and Galbraith (or so I was told by one of my professors back in the 70's). Perhaps it was Toronto's particular fondness for Georgain Revival?

stgeorge-2.jpg

It is curious that in an era that launched the blitzkreig of Victorian Toronto, this particular Edwardian building was deemed worthy of preservation (and the effort of moving it).

yes, one wonders what the rationale was. there must have been some particular reason for it. it sounds like the interior is quite extraordinary--not that that stopped anyone in the late 1950's who was bent on tearing something down. in any case, its great that they saved it, even if it is rather hidden in plain sight. its strange how closely jammed in it is to the Orde St school and the late 20's UofT building on McCaul...

b7037099.gif

in any case, the 1959 building is of course an exquisite example of institutional mid century modernism, so kind of a win-win....

d18f9780.gif

It is curious that in an era that launched the blitzkreig of Victorian Toronto, this particular Edwardian building was deemed worthy of preservation (and the effort of moving it). The only other example I can think of a relocated building during this era, was the university building on the NE corner of St. George and Galbraith (or so I was told by one of my professors back in the 70's). Perhaps it was Toronto's particular fondness for Georgain Revival?

Definitely moved at about the same time for the Galbraith Building--don't know whether it was more precocious preservationism or precocious "green-ism" (i.e. making maximum use of existing building stock where applicable). And in both cases, the building was probably "single-unit" enough for moving to be practical...

Definitely moved at about the same time for the Galbraith Building--don't know whether it was more precocious preservationism or precocious "green-ism" (i.e. making maximum use of existing building stock where applicable). And in both cases, the building was probably "single-unit" enough for moving to be practical...

One candidate I wish had been considered for moving (failing retention in situ, of course):

Post_Office_on_Adelaide-1.jpg

thedeepend, thecharioteer,

Education Building: I am awestruck. I had no idea such a building like this was there, or that it had been moved. Truly this falls into the category of "secret urban places" [a category I just made up] :).

July 4 addition.

Then. James looking S this time; from Louisa towards Albert. February 9, 1913. 9:00am.

f1231_it2181.jpg

Now. June 2010.

DSC_0195.jpg

One candidate I wish had been considered for moving (failing retention in situ, of course):

Post_Office_on_Adelaide-1.jpg

Though in the case of Education and Galbraith, I wonder if the nature of their (perhaps early c20 steel-frame office-type?) construction might have eased the risk of their shaking to bits.

Then again, the Registry Office on the site of New City Hall's podium *was* of that vintage...

photo upload test

I think I have finally figured out how to upload full-size images. I'm a slow learner!!!
Hope this works.
If this is the fire station on Main St., I may soon attempt the "NOW" version.

MainStfirehall1911.jpg

Last edited:

Back