News   May 02, 2024
 718     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 384     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 315     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

this kind of signage used to add immeasurably to the streetscape in the city. there were hundreds and hundreds of examples all over Toronto. it was a genuine and thriving form of 3-dimensional popular art.

all of them went to the metal scrapyard--and the city is greatly impoverished by their disappearance.

Mmm, I dunno. This is subjective. I personally much prefer the way the city looks now, without a lot of rusting junk no one every looked after overhanging the sidewalk. When bulbs were so infrequently replaced that it became fashionable to redub a Scarborough landmark as "The GOOF" because the proprietors couldn't be bothered to fix the "GOOD FOOD" sign, we're talking about one quaint example out of hundreds of others of less remarkable ones that just made the city look flat-out shabby. I think "immeasurably" is the kind of overstatement that can only be proferred in retrospect.

This is subjective

undoubtedly.

as for "overstatement", i would suggest the following suffers from the same weakness:

"Mmm, I dunno. This is subjective. I personally much prefer the way the city looks now, without a lot of rusting junk no one every looked after overhanging the sidewalk. When bulbs were so infrequently replaced that it became fashionable to redub a Scarborough landmark as "The GOOF" because the proprietors couldn't be bothered to fix the "GOOD FOOD" sign, we're talking about one quaint example out of hundreds of others of less remarkable ones that just made the city look flat-out shabby."

I think "immeasurably" is the kind of overstatement that can only be proferred in retrospect.

Last edited:
undoubtedly.

as for "overstatement", i would suggest the following suffers from the same weakness...

Call it weighted counterpoint. My point simply was that the difference between lamented past glories and good-riddance-to-garish-kitsch is in the eye of the beholder.

undoubtedly.

as for "overstatement", i would suggest the following suffers from the same weakness:

"Mmm, I dunno. This is subjective. I personally much prefer the way the city looks now, without a lot of rusting junk no one every looked after overhanging the sidewalk. When bulbs were so infrequently replaced that it became fashionable to redub a Scarborough landmark as "The GOOF" because the proprietors couldn't be bothered to fix the "GOOD FOOD" sign, we're talking about one quaint example out of hundreds of others of less remarkable ones that just made the city look flat-out shabby."

I think "immeasurably" is the kind of overstatement that can only be proferred in retrospect.

No, I'll take you task for this. What you're equating with overstatements are not. They're by-and-large statements of fact. These things generally were neglected once they were put up; that's one of the reasons the city moved against them. And do you mean to suggest the sight of neon and incandescent signs and marquees with bulbs and even entire sections burnt out was, and is even today, an uncommon one? Did, or did not, the proprietors of Garden Gate neglect the "GOOD FOOD" sign to the point that its rehabilitation would actually have been detrimental to their business (an experience so ubiquitous worldwide that it has become a cliche that Jack Astor's has made a virtue of)? "Shabby" I will grant you is a matter of opinion (obviously, in this case), but where in this is "overstatement"? This is an opinion based on experiences common to anyone in an urban environment, and "shabby" notwithstanding, they're entirely objective because they're observations on reality... how you care to emphasize or de-emphasize them is another matter.

Last edited:
Well, the streetcar only bit the dust when the B-D subway opened in 1966...

I'm surprised it was that late... so much of North America had utterly ashcanned their streetcar systems in the 50s. Our really lingered... made it past that hurdle, whenever it was, beyond which it was no longer "cool" to consign one's streetcars to history and too much trouble to get rid of them. I suppose it's not surprising the Bloor streetcar, out of all the lines, should go, given that they built the subway. But the TTC still runs the buses along Sheppard. Mind you, that's a much shorter route... chasing folks off the buses at Yonge just to put them back on at Don Mills might get them a little techy. :)

I've always had an ambivalent relationship with the streetcars. Love 'em when I'm on 'em; hate 'em when I'm stuck behind them driving. But all things considered, I'd never want the city to lose them.

Last edited:
Re: signs

And yet.....

Montreal: Ste. Catherine St. 1955:

CN002285.jpg

CN005838.jpg

No, I'll take you task for this. What you're equating with overstatements are not. They're by-and-large statements of fact. These things generally were neglected once they were put up; that's one of the reasons the city moved against them. And do you mean to suggest the sight of neon and incandescent signs and marquees with bulbs and even entire sections burnt out was, and is even today, an uncommon one? Did, or did not, the proprietors of Garden Gate neglect the "GOOD FOOD" sign to the point that its rehabilitation would actually have been detrimental to their business (an experience so ubiquitous worldwide that it has become a cliche that Jack Astor's has made a virtue of)? "Shabby" I will grant you is a matter of opinion (obviously, in this case), but where in this is "overstatement"? This is an opinion based on experiences common to anyone in an urban environment, and "shabby" notwithstanding, they're entirely objective because they're observations on reality... how you care to emphasize or de-emphasize them is another matter.

You can’t seriously believe that opinions like these—replete with weasel word phrases such as: “by and large” these are “statements of fact”; that “generally” these things were “neglected”; and that your opinions are “entirely objective because they're observations on reality” are going to pass muster here.

In any case, you’ve entirely missed the point, which is that these signs at their best were a popular art form, one that enlivened the streetscape, and that the eclipse of commercial signage, as both an art form and a form of industrial design, has left us with a more impoverished look to our streets.

Were there were examples of neglect? Were they signs and marquees that “had bulbs and even entire sections burnt out” Yes, certainly. So what?

Firstly, contrary to your completely prejudicial description of these signs as “rusting junk no one every looked after”, there were plenty of examples of well maintained neon signage. You’ve cited the same GOOF example twice—are there any other instances of rusting junk you can remember?

Secondly, how does the neglect of some property owners translate into a complete discrediting of the form? Are you seriously suggesting that the abolition of these kinds of signs has led to a less ‘shabby’ look to the city? I don’t even know what the word ‘shabby’ means. All I know is that commercial signage sucks big time—and it didn’t used to.

Anyway, I don't want to belabour this, and I would suggest we just let it go. I was born in Toronto, have lived in the heart of downtown Toronto since 1977, and continue to do so. Based on my experience of having lived downtown for the past 33 years--and, having seen these changes first hand, I simply don’t agree with you.

Btw, if I did know what the word "shabby" meant, it might include things like the images below. these are all just random examples within spitting distance of each other. (i can't even be bothered digging up some of the [thousands] of really bad and pathetic examples of backlit signs that have blighted the city in the past 15 years or so.)

IMG_3932-1.jpg

IMG_3931.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

IMG_3912.jpg

IMG_3922.jpg

IMG_3928-1.jpg

Last edited:
You can’t seriously believe that opinions like these—replete with weasel word phrases such as: “by and large†these are “statements of factâ€

Are they, or are they not, statements of fact? Was there anything I characterized in this kind of signage that was incorrect? Even Honest Ed's sign had its share of burn-out bulbs, and this was a man who took his public image seriously. So if not, then what are you even taking issue with?

your opinions are “entirely objective because they're observations on reality†are going to pass muster here.

They're objective inasmuch as anyone else can see them and agree that they exist. Subjectivity enters into the issue only on the matter of how you care, or don't care, to spin those realities. To me, and people like me, they don't represent any "immeasurable" loss to the city, although I don't dispute that they can and do to you personally. That's a different matter.

There's a propensity, not absolute but chronic, on Urban Toronto to take as an ipse dixit that everything that previously existed in Toronto is perforce superior in nearly every aspect to whatever replaced it. Sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't. It's not out of line to step up once in a while and offer the opinion that sometimes it wasn't.

In any case, you’ve entirely missed the point, which is that these signs at their best were a popular art form, one that enlivened the streetscape,

No, I haven't missed your point. I get that you feel that way about them. My point simply was it isn't universal, which is why I began be saying it was subjective in the first place.

and that the eclipse of commercial signage, as both an art form and a form of industrial design, has left us with a more impoverished look to our streets.

Where you would say "impoverished", others would say "uncluttered". I don't feel impoverished because downtown no longer has the air of some town in West Virginia that's been down on its luck since the mine closed. But again, that's subjective, I admit it. Some people are sorry it's gone; others aren't, and I was voicing that opinion. And I did so because one of the thoughts I had was "thank God the city doesn't look like that anymore", which was completely countered by what you said. Fair enough.

Were there were examples of neglect? Were they signs and marquees that “had bulbs and even entire sections burnt out†Yes, certainly. So what?

So this is what you're eulogizing, and what I'm saying is not necessarily lamented. If you can admit it was so, why can't you admit it's possible to be glad to see the back of it?

Firstly, contrary to your completely prejudicial description of these signs as “rusting junk no one every looked afterâ€, there were plenty of examples of well maintained neon signage. You’ve cited the same GOOF example twice—are there any other instances of rusting junk you can remember?

I don't have a litany of offences. I'm speaking from my general impressions, just as you were in praising them. Which, of course, is equally prejudicial, just the other side of the coin.

Secondly, how does the neglect of some property owners translate into a complete discrediting of the form?

No, of course not. But why do imagine your personal liking for the form necessarily obliges the rest of us? My experience of them is that they give parts of town where they exist a run-down, economically-depressed, "past it" look that I don't regret to see consigned, for the most part, to the past. I'm not demanding you agree; I'm saying other people have different opinions on the matter, just like they do on expressways, waterfronts, condos, and other aspects of the urban environment.

Are you seriously suggesting that the abolition of these kinds of signs has led to a less ‘shabby’ look to the city?

Yes. When I look at those two views of the same street, there's no question in my mind that I prefer the now shot to the then.

I don’t even know what the word ‘shabby’ means.

shabby

• adjective (shabbier, shabbiest) 1 worn out or dilapidated. 2 dressed in old or worn clothes. 3 mean and unfair: a shabby trick.

— DERIVATIVES shabbily adverb shabbiness noun.

— ORIGIN from dialect shab "scab", from Germanic.

New English Dictionary, Oxford University (a.k.a. "OED")

All I know is that commercial signage sucks big time—and it didn’t used to.

I can't, and don't, claim it's vastly improved these days; it is, however, less visually and physically intrusive than the signage you favour, and, for the moment, less suggestive of economic decline.

having seen these changes first hand, I simply don’t agree with you.

Yes, THAT was pretty much my point when I brought this up and suggested these things are "subjective" in the first place. Did we need to go through all this just for you to reach the same conclusion and call a ceasefire?

Are they, or are they not, statements of fact? Was there anything I characterized in this kind of signage that was incorrect? Even Honest Ed's sign had its share of burn-out bulbs, and this was a man who took his public image seriously. So if not, then what are you even taking issue with?

Putting aside your seeming obsession with “burned out bulbs”…

To claim that your opinions about this matter are “objective inasmuch as anyone else can see them and agree that they exist” is an absurdly circular argument to make--better suited to an undergraduate philosophy seminar on Logical Positivism. Who is this ‘anyone’? who can ‘see’ the objective truths of what you are saying and ‘agree that they exist’ That just sounds like sophistic nonsense to me.

Anyways, you clearly believe far too much in your own all seeing ‘objectivity’ for this to be a productive exchange.

Where you would say "impoverished", others would say "uncluttered". I don't feel impoverished because downtown no longer has the air of some town in West Virginia that's been down on its luck since the mine closed.”

“My experience of them is that they give parts of town where they exist a run-down, economically-depressed, "past it" look that I don't regret to see consigned, for the most part, to the past.”

“Shabby: 1 worn out or dilapidated. 2 dressed in old or worn clothes. 3 mean and unfair: a shabby trick.”

By your reasoning, should we just tear down any old Victorian building that hasn’t been properly maintained—lest the city start to appear ‘past it’, ‘economically depressed’ and ‘run down’?

Cabbagetown used to be a ghetto, Rosedale used to be full of rundown rooming houses—should we have just torn all those houses down, because they were "shabby": ie. “worn out or dilapidated”. Parts of Parkdale are still very run down—should we just get on over there and bulldoze the neighbourhood in favour of something more ‘with it’?

However you dress them up, your opinions are the exact same arguments the city boosters of the 1960’s were pushing, in their efforts to justify the demolition of dozens and dozens of beautiful buildings simply because they were ‘shabby’, 'worn out or dilapidated', ‘run down’ and ‘past it’

bbd03f36.png

Last edited:
Call it weighted counterpoint. My point simply was that the difference between lamented past glories and good-riddance-to-garish-kitsch is in the eye of the beholder.

To be honest, I addressed that in my earlier Duffy's-sign comment. Though less from the POV of modern-day advocacy and more out of a measured empathy for a past moment.

And St Catherine in Montreal is a whole different, higher-level kettle of fish from the Bloor/Lansdowne area.

However you dress them up, your opinions are the exact same arguments the city boosters of the 1960’s were pushing, in their efforts to justify the demolition of dozens and dozens of beautiful buildings simply because they were ‘shabby’, 'worn out or dilapidated', ‘run down’ and ‘past it’

But let me reinvoke my "measured empathy for a past moment"--now, Old City Hall is an extreme case; but when it comes to those Bloor shots, one really can "feel" the low-grade shabbiness as the Mad Men-era stylesters might have viewed it. The tracks; the cobbles; the wiring; the antennae; the neon; and all in depressing black and white--it was dreadful. And it was doomed. Let's not sugarcoat the past; or rather, how the past regarded itself. It may look like what hipsters like today; but at the time, it was viewed more like how hipsters view Rob Ford today. And, paradoxical as it may sound, it had to "die" in order to be reclaimed by today's Jane Jacobite urban hipsters.

Today, you'd have to go someplace like Barton in Hamilton to get a feel for (and empathy for the early critics of) this kind of c1960 blue-collar strip urbanism. And such is a measure of how far the pendulum's swung that even Barton in its present state can't escape "hipster urbanist rediscovery"...

I have to agree that the backlit sign isn't much of an improvement--it can be cheaply altered, so it doesn't take much to plop a new, cheaply made one in. The overhanging signs didn't age well, though, as has been mentioned before. When maintained properly they look great; when not maintained they make the neighbourhood look sleazy.

The overhanging signs didn't age well, though, as has been mentioned before. When maintained properly they look great; when not maintained they make the neighbourhood look sleazy.

...though, maintained or unmaintained, the now-gone Revue canopy and Edgewater/Brighton/Venus Florists signs on Roncy got their share of latter-day hipster love...

Back