News   May 06, 2024
 329     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 477     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

And what else? The flashback to the gas-stations-on-practically-every-other-block era (including one with the "transitional" pre-Gulf BA logo of 1967-69); *two* old-school streetfront Loblaw groceterias (including the one with the Chug-A-Mug billboard on top)...wow. As a slide show, those vintage photos need a musical soundtrack like this, or something
200px-Laura_nyro_eli.jpg

Forgotten about her. Gone too soon. Weird to listen to long gone singers voices... they wash over you... Karen Carpenter had a great voice too. I have to close my eyes to listen to Karen.

Jan 30 addition

And, related to subject building in the Jan 29 photo; its immediate neighbour to the south.

ser372_ss0003_s0372_ss0003_it1378.jpg

DSCF0167-1.jpg

They added a 3rd floor at some point.

Dearborn Chemical Company is no longer; subsumed into a division of the General Electric company.

http://www.gewater.com/index.jsp

Quoting myself here; a bit odd, I know. I've added a picture.

Adelaide Street, looking W, from a point about 50 yards W of Yonge Street.

adelaide.jpg

DSCF0130.jpg

Here is a earlier picture of this location to add some interest to this post of a few days ago.

fo1244_f1244_it7331.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 31 addition

It would be even more 'Grand' if it were still around.:)

Jan 31 addition:

Yonge from just N of Davisville, looking N.

The TD bank building is still there. The young thing with the shoulder length hair, summer hat and shoulder slung bag makes the picture seem less antique, although that day and her life are long vanished. My imagination is triggered and I follow her onto the car to begin a journey.

ser71_s0071_it1573.jpg

DSCF0155.jpg

that's minto. it's the yonge/eglinton intersection.

Re the enigmatic Dearborn: (1) it's interesting at an attempt at a Prairie-esque "minimal" industrial-honesty statement, and (b) its most recent tenant was Chairtex--and if one looks in the windows above, it seems that a lot of Chairtex's wares are still housed within, so there may be some fascinating untapped industrial archaeology here...

Back