News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 959     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 361     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Re the Dundas/Dupont pic: I wonder if the old image was further down the intersection--presuming that Dupont once crossed the tracks at grade; remember that the whole configuration here was reworked and "bypassed" circa the 20s/30s, and the old Dundas alignment followed the present access road to Dupont from the south...

Re the Dundas/Dupont pic: I wonder if the old image was further down the intersection--presuming that Dupont once crossed the tracks at grade; remember that the whole configuration here was reworked and "bypassed" circa the 20s/30s, and the old Dundas alignment followed the present access road to Dupont from the south...

adma,

I don't have a map of this area to rebut you. I took the picture based on what seemed to me to be the original road alignments, and what I assumed to be unchanged parallel train trackage on the east side of this intersection. I've added your comment here under my original post.

If anyone, that includes you adma, ;) can pinpoint with documentable certainty where the 'now' photo should be; I'd be happy to go out and take a new pic.

Heck, if that knowledgable anyone wants to accompany me, there's a pub lunch in it on me.

In any event, I will take another photo 'further down' - north - and post it in the OP in a week or so.

I'll try to get a 19teens era map of this area...

Last edited:
mustapha, i think you'd really be interested in going down to harbourfront and checking out the great big map of toronto from the 1850's complied by ERA architects as part of the exhibit there. some really interesting stuff on that map.

http://www.era.on.ca/news/index.php?news_id=76

mustapha, i think you'd really be interested in going down to harbourfront and checking out the great big map of toronto from the 1850's complied by ERA architects as part of the exhibit there. some really interesting stuff on that map.

http://www.era.on.ca/news/index.php?news_id=76

This will be interesting and helpful. Thanks for the tip, smuncky!

I dug a little deeper and the Harbourfront Centre people have put part of the map online:

http://www.harbourfrontcentre.com/whatson/visualarts/yqc09_1/ERA plate[7].jpg

Last edited:
Feb 12 addition

Rogers Road looking W from, shoot, I forgot.:eek:

ser71_s0071_it3959.jpg

DSCF0205-2.jpg

Additions for Feb 13,14,15

It's mostly gone now :p

I'm glad to see you made it to my neighbourhood. I think when the weather improves I'll start an "Earlscourt then and now" thread.

If you use 'Rogers' as a search term at the Toronto archives site, you'll come up with lots of results for your neighbourhood.

I'm away until Monday so I'll post a couple extra pictures...

Yonge and Shaftesbury, NE corner.

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0535.jpg

DSCF0269-1.jpg

Sherbourne and Isabella, NW corner.

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0526.jpg

DSCF0238.jpg

Bloor, south side, looking E from Queens Park Cres.

fo1244_f1244_it7241.jpg

DSCF0234-1.jpg

If you look behind and above the storefronts further west, you can see the roofs are typical for Toronto housing stock. The storefronts seem to have been built in front of the houses in quite a few areas.

Back