News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 654     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Mustapha: I just realized that perhaps the reason I'm finding it hard to orient myself with regards to the playground, is because of the fact that in 1910, Gerrard Street had not yet been extended to University. The playground was probably built afterwards.

gerrardelizabeth-1-1.jpg

Thanks for the tip re: Goads. Now there's another mystery; there should be two schools on that map near the D4 - Eilizabeth Street School and Hester How, not one. I'll have to research this some more.:confused:

The 'Lizzies' were quite the basketball players

Elizabeth Street Playground Juvenile Basketball — Playground, City and Canadian Champions - 1930
s0372_ss0052_it1407.jpg

Elizabeth Street Playground Juveniles — Playground, T & D, Ontario and Dominion Basketball Champions 1943-44
- some of these guys are probably still around
s0372_ss0052_it2116.jpg

Looking at the background of these photos to try to get a clue as to where they were taken if they were indeed even taken in the Elizabeth street playground. arrhhg. Time to step outside for a cigar. :)

Before we leave the subject of College Park I'd like to add a couple of Then and [Later] Then photos I found at the Toronto archives.

Then: Yonge and Hayter, NW corner. "c1919" on the photo.

yongeandhayterNW.jpg

[Later] Then c1970? - my own guess. For you out of towners that peruse these pictures; the modern view is basically unchanged; Eatons is no longer in business for one thing.

fo0124_f0124_fl0003_id0062.jpg

Looking at the background of these photos to try to get a clue as to where they were taken if they were indeed even taken in the Elizabeth street playground. arrhhg. Time to step outside for a cigar. :)

Well, the charioteer’s article says that TGH bought the site in 1928, and the team pictures are after that. The coach in both pictures is Bob Abate, a member of the Canadian Sports Hall of fame.
http://www.sportshall.ca/accessible/hm_profile.php?i=90
The article says, among other things, that “On May 23rd, 1990, the Elizabeth Recreation Centre was re-named the Bob Abate Community Recreation Centre.†The Bob Abate Centre is at Bloor & Montrose.

2 Bloor West looks complete and occupied, so post 1972 anyway.

Not a car nor a person to be seen in that photo... Were they filming an "End of the World" movie? LOL

edit: OK I exaggerate... I magnified the picture and I found two people and one car.

Last edited:
"...2 Bloor West looks complete and occupied, so post 1972 anyway. Not a car nor a person to be seen in that photo... Were they filming an "End of the World" movie? LOL edit: OK I exaggerate... I magnified the picture and I found two people and one car."

Not entirely clear, but zooming in I think the car that's visible in the shot is a yellow police car - possibly a '74 Plymouth Fury. The yellow centreline on the road dates it to after 1971.

Last edited:
[Later] Then c1970? - my own guess. For you out of towners that peruse these pictures; the modern view is basically unchanged; Eatons is no longer in business for one thing.

There is also a "new" residential tower built over the podium, obscuring the brick wall.

I've been meaning to try and get a modern version of this shot for a while. I think I came pretty close on the weekend although I don't think I was at the right spot on the Gardner.

I think this photo is great, it looks like something out of lord of the rings to me. This giant featureless concrete spire towering over the landscape.

4321897395_ded5fa5640_o.jpg

Here's is the modern version:

4322631072_77fe01d8fb_b.jpg

More sleuthing on this picture:

I will guess that there was a Taxi stand near the southern most Yonge Street entrance. It would appear that 40 years of idling cabs have left their tell tale mark on the stone facade. Note how the blackness lessens as you go farther north. That would be from the cabs farther back in the line turning their engines off, because it would be a longer while before they got a fare. The same pattern can be seen at the north entrances as well where I guess there was also a Taxi stand.

Union Station and the Royal York Hotel have this same pattern but exacerbated by the many years of coal locomotives magnifying the effect. Just an observation of mine and I am not certain, to be sure.

Last edited:
More sleuthing on this picture:

I will guess that there was a Taxi stand near the southern most Yonge Street entrance. It would appear that 40 years of idling cabs have left their tell tale mark on the stone facade. Note how the blackness lessens as you go farther north. That would be from the cabs farther back in the line turning their engines off, because it would be a longer while before they got a fare. The same pattern can be seen at the north entrances as well where I guess there was also a Taxi stand.

Union Station and the Royal York Hotel have this same pattern but exacerbated by the many years of coal locomotives magnifying the effect. Just an observation of mine and I am not certain, to be sure.

I'm intrigued by your speculation regarding the cause of that stain on the building - a taxi stand.
I'll suggest that it could also have been caused by a nearby manhole in the sidewalk or road that released the damaging smoke.
I wonder if any city engineer has an opinion.

I've been meaning to try and get a modern version of this shot for a while. I think I came pretty close on the weekend although I don't think I was at the right spot on the Gardner.

I think this photo is great, it looks like something out of lord of the rings to me. This giant featureless concrete spire towering over the landscape.

4321897395_ded5fa5640_o.jpg

Here's is the modern version:

4322631072_77fe01d8fb_b.jpg

And the modern drivers now insist on driving with exactly one car length between them.

February 2 addition:

Todays Then and Now picture is combined. Then: It was a corner grocer. Now: It's someone's home, but they have left the charming sign intact. I've forgotten the corner, but it's a few blocks NW of Bathurst and Queen.

CSC_0041.jpg

Here is another. SE corner of Sullivan and Huron. I remembered this time.

CSC_0046.jpg

Back