1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

January 5 addition.

Then:

St. Thomas street, looking SSE from just S of Bloor.

Don't know the date; guessing it's the 80s from the car.

fo0124_f0124_fl0015_id0019.jpg

Now: October 2009.

CSC_0016-1.jpg

thecharioteer said:
What would be very helpful would be to access the set of municipal aerial photographs that were taken during this era (the kinds used in Phase I Environmental Surveys). Any of our master researchers know how to access these on-line (Anna, wwwebster?)

Sorry for the late reply; I was offline over the holidays. Unfortunately, I have no special stash of Toronto aerials in my bag of tricks, only London, Ontario:

http://geography.uwo.ca/maplibrary/airphoto/london42/google/google_index_1942.htm

The Walker House Remix

Wow, I haven't logged on to here in awhile! I have been on here for more than an hour catching up. Great posts - bathurst - dupont, rossin house/prince hotel and of course Mustapha's daily Then and nows. Here's another what could have been remix. Enjoy..

The Walker House - What could have been :(

4113405051_d1a92fd848_b.jpg

When Adam Vaughan spoke at the Noxon book launch about a year ago he said that he'd been told ( by Morden Yolles, I believe ) that one of the reasons the local Jewish community embraced architectural Modernism - Dickinson's design for Beth Tzedec for instance - was because Hitler banned the Bauhaus, and that was a fine reason to support it. Also, the reason a number of Jews went into engineering was because of quotas at Canadian architectural schools that excluded them.

When the [Jewish] Primrose club was still around I got to hang a bit there with friends and their parents on occasion. Once in awhile it surprised me that some Jewish folks had very "Anglo" names. I suppose a family ancestor might have changed the name to avoid discrimination?

The "PARK" sign in the newer photo is a sadly watered-down recent replacement for something which had an odd "60s contemporary Fractur" polygonal font...

And note that there is only one sign; not the several that require careful study before parking ones car.

Wow, I haven't logged on to here in awhile! I have been on here for more than an hour catching up. Great posts - bathurst - dupont, rossin house/prince hotel and of course Mustapha's daily Then and nows. Here's another what could have been remix. Enjoy..

The Walker House - What could have been :(

4113405051_d1a92fd848_b.jpg

Alden, very very cool.

With the right management perhaps the old Walker could have worked as a boutique hotel. We'll never know.

^ I miss St. Thomas from that time period. There were three restaurants with large patios and Bemelman's was right around the corner. Now, it's relatively dead.

Me too. I honeymooned at the Windsor Arms.

January 6 addition.

Then: Looking S on Spadina from Bloor.

fo1567_ser648_s0648_fl0139_id0010.jpg

Now: October 2009.

DSC_0126.jpg

Then: Looking E along Bloor from Spadina.

fo1567_ser648_s0648_fl0139_id0017.jpg

Now: October 2009. And there's a Pizza Pizza... an opportunity to get adma's knickers in a knot. :) [Sorry mods, please delete if you feel necessary].:)

DSC_0127.jpg

Very odd. Unless there's some sort of reasonable explanation. Was he consuming it?

Random tidbit: I was very close to renting the apartment above Pizza Pizza back in '96, when I worked a night shift down the street at the Shopper's. It was a spacious hole in the wall.

It's interesting to see what looks like a newspaper and magazine kiosk in the before photo "Then: Looking S on Spadina from Bloor." They're still around in many European cities selling magazines, cigarettes and other such basics, but no longer in Toronto.

Interesting in shot #2: Britannica House (151 Bloor) already existed.

Interesting in shot #1: that news/refreshment(?) kiosk on the left--very European...

Interesting in shot #2: Britannica House (151 Bloor) already existed.

Interesting in shot #1: that news/refreshment(?) kiosk on the left--very European...

The kiosk was run by the Canadian National Institute for the Blind - CNIB. In my youth, one could occasionally find blind people - men - war veterans perhaps? - working in tuck shops in government buildings and on military bases.

January 7 addition.

Then: Yonge street looking S from Yorkminster Park church. Heath street in the distance. Marquees for the Hollywood and Hyland theatres dimly in the distance.

ser381_s0381_fl0075_id7420-3.jpg

Now: October 2009. I should have stood in the middle of the street for this but for the traffic.

DSC_0123.jpg

Was that pop bottle showing in any of those photos of the Bank of Nova Scotia (Spadina & Bloor) a few weeks ago? I wonder if the whole collection was taken about 1961-62 when the Bloor subway was still at the blueprint stage?
(I was working at an office on that corner way back then.)

Back