News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.8K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 601     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Some days I'd kill for half a Scotch egg ...

Love the interiors - the reception desk and leaf pattern curtains especially. I wonder if Court Noxon designed the furniture? After 1965 Modernism went to ratshit for a while, but we seem to be back on course again.

Reminds me a bit of the Stasi headquarters in Berlin. I wonder if those plants are mic-ed up.

:) Couple of years ago in Leipzig the German language only taxi driver is giving me a narrative tour on the way to the city centre; we pass a building he says "Stasi"; take both hands off the wheel and grabs his throat with one hand and air punches his head with the other.:eek:

A new year!

- see attached image

Attachments

• new year.jpg
    new year.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 423
January 2 addition:

Then: Yonge and Farnham, SE corner. Proctor and Gamble HQ. June 14, 1954.

ser381_s0381_fl0308_id12103-63.jpg

Now: October 2009. Lovely vinyl awning things. Must buy them to classy up my place.

DSC_0124.jpg

Nice job on matching the brick for the added third storey, but it's a shame (once again) they replaced the sashed windows with the plates. Not crazy about the awnings either (but they're easily removed).

Well, not just an added third story, but an added rear/south wing as well. (And also note the skylights-to-the-basement punched into the terrace.)

:) Couple of years ago in Leipzig the German language only taxi driver is giving me a narrative tour on the way to the city centre; we pass a building he says "Stasi"; take both hands off the wheel and grabs his throat with one hand and air punches his head with the other.:eek:

That's incredible!

That word still means something to those who remember.

Inspired by some of the recent Modernist postings, mention must be made of the City's finest Modernist synagogue Beth Tzedec at 1700 Bathurst Street, designed by Peter Dickinson and completed in 1955. The largest synagogue in Canada, the sanctuary contains about 2,600 seats and can accomodate an additional capacity of 900 when panel doors are opened to connect it to the adjoining banquet hall.

The story of Beth Tzedec illustrates the history of the Jewish community in Toronto. It begins with the story of the Goel Tzedec congregation, formed in 1883, beginning on Richmond Street before buying and remodeling a church on University Avenue below Dundas, just north of Armoury, which at that point was part of "The Ward":

armourymap-1.jpg
synagogie1924.jpg

synagogue.jpg

The story continues with the Beth Hamidrash Hagadol Chevra Tehillim congregation, founded in 1887, originally meeting at Richmond and York before buying the McCaul Street Methodist Church in 1904 at 67-69 McCaul Street (opposite Grange Avenue), becoming known as the McCaul Street Synagogue. The Jewish community was leaving the Ward and the heart of the community was shifting to Spadina and Kensington Market:

mccaulmap-1.jpg

mcCaulsynagogue.jpg

mccaul2.jpg

Post-war, the shift further north continued (Holy Blossom Synagogue had left Bond Street and erected their new building on Bathurst in 1938). Land was purchased on Bathurst in Cedarvale in 1951 and a design was developed with Peter Dickinson for a new complex that would include a sanctuary, banquet hall, library and school, in a very sophisticated site plan that followed the angled street grid:

beth-1.jpg

f1257_s1057_it0377.jpg

f1257_s1057_it0379.jpg

f1257_s1057_it0383.jpg

f1257_s1057_it0386.jpg

A year after the groundbreaking, the two congregations amalgamated under the new name Beth Tzedec.

f1257_s1057_it0391.jpg

f1257_s1057_it0392.jpg

f1257_s1057_it0394.jpg

f1257_s1057_it0393.jpg

The new building was dedicated on December 9th, 1955.

Today:
bethtzedecsiteplan.jpg

bethtzedec.jpg

I ended up going to the house of gourmet because of the pic with the rice and duck. I had bbq pork with bbq duck though, large dish and boy was it good... finished the whole plate lol :eek:

Happy New year everyone.

January 1 addition.

College street S side, just W of McCaul.

Then: I call this one "Brush cuts and pipes".

College of Pharmacy opening. "ca 1965" according to the Toronto Archive photo notes.

175collegecdninstituteofpharmacynod.jpg

Now: October 2009.

DSC_0128.jpg

I hope everyone has prosperity, good health and good relationships with family, work and friends this year. And, to borrow a phrase from a TV commercial: "stay hungry my friends".

DSCF1335.jpg

Sincerely,

-Moose

When Adam Vaughan spoke at the Noxon book launch about a year ago he said that he'd been told ( by Morden Yolles, I believe ) that one of the reasons the local Jewish community embraced architectural Modernism - Dickinson's design for Beth Tzedec for instance - was because Hitler banned the Bauhaus, and that was a fine reason to support it. Also, the reason a number of Jews went into engineering was because of quotas at Canadian architectural schools that excluded them.

I ended up going to the house of gourmet because of the pic with the rice and duck. I had bbq pork with bbq duck though, large dish and boy was it good... finished the whole plate lol :eek:

Ah, the 'combo'. Good choice.:) Yes, the meat-on-rice choices come in small [in a bowl] and large [on a plate]. Thanks for the reminder. Large is the economical way to go.

House of Gourmet, and all the other Chinese restaurants that open until very late are still the place to congregate after the clubs have closed.

January 4 addition.

Then: "Shaggy Pony in need of a brush"

Edward and Centre, SE corner. March 30, 1937.

Many of these "Then" pictures show unleashed dogs running around. Then came leash laws. Domesticated as they were - the dogs - I am sure todays parents of toddlers sure appreciate not having Poopy the mastiff show teeth and slobber over their little Jeremy at the playground. As for cyclists... the thrill of having a German Sheppard come after your ankle will always be memorable for many of us.

_ser372_ss0033_s0372_ss0033_it0165.jpg

Now: October 2009.

DSC_0062.jpg

Many of these "Then" pictures show unleashed dogs running around. Then came leash laws. Domesticated as they were - the dogs - I am sure todays parents of toddlers sure appreciate not having Poopy the mastiff show teeth and slobber over their little Jeremy at the playground. As for cyclists... the thrill of having a German Sheppard come after your ankle will always be memorable for many of us.

_ser372_ss0033_s0372_ss0033_it0165.jpg

dogs were also used as the original car alarms....

f1244_it1573.jpg

The "PARK" sign in the newer photo is a sadly watered-down recent replacement for something which had an odd "60s contemporary Fractur" polygonal font...

Back