News   Jun 26, 2024
 845     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 736     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 667     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

This reminds me Mustapha, someone always comments on the lack of people in the street scenes of the NOW photos as compared to the THEN ones from the archives. Especially in the downtown streetscapes.

But I hazard to guess that particularly when the financial district is concerned, many of the THEN photos were taken on a weekday by a paid city photographer. However, many of the NOW ones are taken by amateurs on their days off, more than likely Sunday afternoons.

Would this be the case?

I once read that the two inventions that most affected urban street life were television and air conditioning. Add to this indoor shopping (both malls and underground), home "theatres", and backyard decks and there goes the street life.

We also have to remember (as was brought up when we were discussing the blocks around Yonge and Adelaide) that neighbourhoods change and become less interesting to pedestrians. Other streets seem impervious and survive changes in use and fashionability (most of Yonge Street), or go through declines and then come back (King East, Queen West). Other streets are neighbourhood centres that evolve to become city-wide destinations (The Danforth, Queen East in the Beaches, College in Little Italy).

I once read that the two inventions that most affected urban street life were television and air conditioning. Add to this indoor shopping (both malls and underground), home "theatres", and backyard decks and there goes the street life.

Though I seem to have observed street life in general on the upturn in recent years--and have wondered if any of that has to do with the advent of handheld/portable devices that have liberated people from being tethered to a TV or home computer screen...

Aaron, Aaron Aaron; you got your hat blocked in those days. Blocked. :)

Traynor, this also explains the numerous street urchins in these old pictures just standing around. Or those TTC subway construction or track laying pictures always with a crowd of men - they were always men - standing around looking.

You can probably see this highway from outer space. Or near space.:)

Ah! Thanks, Mustapha. Blocked.

I believe I would have been one of the urchins you refer to in your response to Traynor. I do find certain construction projects fascinating to watch. I'd be there with bells - and my newly blocked hat - on.

Last edited:
As a child in the late '50s and early '60s I'd sometimes see the statue when we'd go up to London by train for the day to visit the museums, galleries or historic buildings.

It was modelled on a photograph of Michael Llewelyn Davies ( the inspiration for the story ) dressed as Peter Pan . He apparently committed suicide at the age of 20 in a drowning "accident" with his gay lover. Forever young, indeed.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/Michael_Llewelyn_Davies_as_Peter_Pan.jpg

What a beautiful child.

December 23 addition.

Then: 1911. More vintage civic excitement. The corner of Bathurst and Dupont, looking to the SE.

fo1244_f1244_it8213.jpg

Now: October 2009.

CSC_0040.jpg

I sometimes look at these pictures and wonder if any of the people in them are still with us now. In this case probably not.

I sometimes look at these pictures and wonder if any of the people in them are still with us now. In this case probably not.

There is a very small chance that one of the kids might still be around.

The pic notes 1911 . . .

This quote from OJC . . .

"1912 to 1916 - Hillcrest Park
South-west corner of Bathurst Street and Davenport Road. Owned and operated by the Toronto Driving Club. Inaugural Meet: August 20, 1912. Final Meet: July 16, 1917."

J T

Yes, I can see the "racetrack" in the background of this picture. What kind of driving are we talking about? Driving a horse team? Driving a newfangled automobile? Or driving a few golf balls on a range? LOL

The pic notes 1911 . . .

M m m m . . .

This quote from OJC . . .

"1912 to 1916 - Hillcrest Park
South-west corner of Bathurst Street and Davenport Road. Owned and operated by the Toronto Driving Club. Inaugural Meet: August 20, 1912. Final Meet: July 16, 1917."

M m m m.

Regards,
J T

Another view also dated 1911..

f1244_it10033.jpg

December 23 addition.

Then: 1911. More vintage civic excitement. The corner of Bathurst and Davenport, looking to the SE.

fo1244_f1244_it8213.jpg

The regrading of Bathurst Street north of Davenport was a major civic improvement for the most significant north-south street west of Yonge Street. These series of photos outline the progress of the works (the dates are contradictory however. The first few are hand-labelled 1908-9, but it would appear from the later ones that the work really began in 1914):

Looking north:

bathurst1908.jpg

bathurst1909.jpg

bathurstnov111913.jpg

bathurstdav.jpg

bathurstmar131914.jpg

bathurstjuly91914.jpg

bathurst1915.jpg

Looking south:

bath1907.jpg

bathurst1907.jpg

bathurst1910.jpg

bathurst1913.jpg

Bathurst1914.jpg

bath1915.jpg

The regrading of Bathurst Street north of Davenport was a major civic improvement for the most significant north-south street west of Yonge Street. These series of photos outline the progress of the works (the dates are contradictory however. The first few are hand-labelled 1908-9, but it would appear from the later ones that the work really began in 1914):

Looking north:

I was struck by the similarity of the Bathurst/Davenport intersection to the Lansdown/ Davenport intersection. Both display hills and curves in the roadway.
Here's Lans/Dav in 1916, 1917, 1920 & 1931

Attachments

• 1916.jpg
    1916.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 310
  • 1917.jpg
    1917.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 294
  • 1920jpg.jpg
    1920jpg.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 286
  • 1931.jpg
    1931.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 314
Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting how conspicuous the apse of St Alban's is from a couple of those southward views...

Interesting how conspicuous the apse of St Alban's is from a couple of those southward views...

Olde Toronto did seem like a forest of steeples sometimes.

thecharioteer, that series of the Bathurst street hill really netted things out visually.

December 24 addition.

Then: Avenue Road and St.. Clair, looking S across St Clair. 1937. Supposedly.

fo1244_f1244_it1096.jpg

Now: October 2009.

DSC_0041.jpg

Back