News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 871     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Here's an extraordinary picture I ran across by accident in the Archives labelled "Aerial View of Orange Parade" (1930-1950). Taken from the roof of the Park Plaza, it shows a still-residential Bloor Street looking east from Avenue Road. One of the only remnants still standing (or at least its reconstructed facade) in this view is the Windsor Arms (mid-picture at right).
Even more conspicuous in the photo is the apartment building behind Windsor Arms--also still extant on Sultan St...

Those houses on the south side of Bloor were at one point owned by Victoria College/U of T and were used as residences. I think Victoria College still owns the land under the Colonnade (nice picture of the day) & what at one point was the Britannia Building.

Britannica. (I'd love to see Wikipedia's logo atop the building today.)

That building in the last photo on the right side behind the streetcar is very modern looking for 1929.

bloor3.jpg

Despite the photo's inscription, I believe the shot is looking *east*--and that "very modern looking" building just happens to be the future home of Bemelmans...

here are a few street level shots of the same stretch looking west from St. Thomas looking towards the Medical Arts Building. a few of these houses on the south side are still there of course...MAC cosmetics is in one of them...

bloor.jpg

bloor2.jpg

bloor3.jpg

The feel of Bloor Street durng this transiltional period between residential and commercial uses seems very similar to Church Street today, the width of the street, the mixture of houseform buildings, the storefronts. Interesting if Bloor had evolved along these lines.

However, it was fortunate that the Bloor Street lots were deep enough to permit a widening of the street and the increase in scale of uses that exist today. Unfortunatley though, the architectural quality of buildings since the Colonnade has been fairly banal at best, exhibiting some of the worst qualities of 70's commercial and retail design (Manulife? Renaissance Plaza? The office towers at Bloor & Bay?) We've never really had buildings on Bloor worthy of the street's aspirations.

One entrance of the old HHOF building was saved along with its mural and is now the main entrance to BMO Field.
web_19_ajm.jpg

dbailey62, How observant! If you hadn't pointed this out to me I would have never realized. I wonder why they even bothered. I'm a CNEophile; making the trip down at least twice a season and this never twigged on me.

Last time I saw a movie on a screen THAT small was at the 'Dundas Mall' (aka Eaton Ctr) Cinemas in what is now H&M, I believe. That was like 12 years ago... DAMN!

DC83, Best Buy. The old cinemas were a few dozen feet to the west of your memories; where the Best Buy is now.:)

dbailey62, How observant! If you hadn't pointed this out to me I would have never realized. I wonder why they even bothered. I'm a CNEophile; making the trip down at least twice a season and this never twigged on me.

I believe it was one of the conditions agreed to between the City / CNE and MLSE who were handling the development of the stadium. It should be pointed out that it is at a 90 degree angle to its original orentation as it now faces west whereas the originals faced north (toward the Food Building) and south (towards the Grandstand).

I wish they'd saved a bit more of it, or even the other entrance (as it could have been used elsewhere at BMO).

Hey, it's something. I wish they'd saved a bit of the old Grandstand. Even those old blue plastic seats would have been better than most of the seating in BMO today.

Last edited:
bloor3.jpg

Despite the photo's inscription, I believe the shot is looking *east*--and that "very modern looking" building just happens to be the future home of Bemelmans...

you're right! you can just see the top of the building that predated the Manulife poking above the streetcar. i had been trying to figure out which church that was in the distance--it must be St. Paul's at Bloor and Church...

i'd be very surprised if that moderne Bemelman's building went that far back though. 1929 seems a bit remarkable...if true, it would have to be the first modern structure built in the city....

you're right! you can just see the top of the building that predated the Manulife poking above the streetcar. i had been trying to figure out which church that was in the distance--it must be St. Paul's at Bloor and Church...

i'd be very surprised if that moderne Bemelman's building went that far back though. 1929 seems a bit remarkable...if true, it would have to be the first modern structure built in the city....

or perhaps St. Andrew's to the west of St. Paul's

Bemelman's is indeed that old; it's dated in Patricia McHugh's Toronto guide. (But it looks more "modern" in the photo than it was.)

Have you seen the new user interface for the Toronto Archives photo database?

Yeppers. The ability to preview the pictures is nice. It's faster too. Our tax dollars doing good things.

December 9 addition.

Then: Jarvis and Carlton NW corner. October 1, 1936.

fo1231_f1231_it0812.jpg

Now: September 2009.

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DC83, Best Buy. The old cinemas were a few dozen feet to the west of your memories; where the Best Buy is now.:)
I believe it was closer to the passage that exists south from Dundas between the Eaton Centre & the Marriott, if my memory serves me correctly. Those screens were horrible.

Depends what you mean by "modern". The Studio Building at 25 Severn Street was completed in 1914:

Studio_Building_1.jpg

Hi All,

Related to this incorporation of the HHOF building into BMO is my quest to find something that I have a faded but vivid memory of and my attempts to bring it to the stadium.

Once at MLG in 1999, 2000 I saw what appeared to be a large wrought iron Canadian coat of arms.

I'd love for MLSE to incorporate it into one of the gates (as an example) at BMO Field.

Does anyone on this board or thread know anything about this piece?

Depends what you mean by "modern". The Studio Building at 25 Severn Street was completed in 1914:

Studio_Building_1.jpg

you're absolutely right. the Studio Building's deliberate deployment of the 'factory aesthetic' would in all likelihood mark it as Toronto's first modernist building.

sadly, it looks like that godawful condo on the site of the Canadian Tire Parking Lot on Church St. is finally going ahead, which, as has been widely reported, will effectively destroy the quality of light in the building.

Bloor St. puzzle

That billboard looked familiar:

click thumbnail to enlarge

Attachments

• Bloor - Bay.jpg
    Bloor - Bay.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 395

Back