News   Jul 15, 2024
 35     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 325     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 531     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Great pics as usual mustapha, thanks very much. I don't know where you find the time, this is a lot of work. I especially like the last one, I had no idea there was a bus terminal at Yonge & Yonge Blvd.

Oooh! The bus loop at the top of the hill. It made the journey downtown from Willowdale such an adventure.

My memory of this period - 1966 - is but a boys but I seem to think that the Yonge to Richmond Hill bus - an express from Yonge and Eglinton TTC terminal - stopped here before carrying on. My dad thinks the fare was about $1.25

Great pics as usual mustapha, thanks very much. I don't know where you find the time, this is a lot of work. I especially like the last one, I had no idea there was a bus terminal at Yonge & Yonge Blvd.

You're welcome, but it wasn't as time consuming as going to Havana.:)

Yes, the attention-grabbing screaming match now goes well beyond signage.

Were Chong Young and Dick Young related?

Is that a Joy station I spy next to Mills & Hadwin? I have no memory of there being one there in the early '70s.

Yes, the attention-grabbing screaming match now goes well beyond signage.

Were Chong Young and Dick Young related?

Is that a Joy station I spy next to Mills & Hadwin? I have no memory of there being one there in the early '70s.

To your 1st question... I don't know; my grandfather 'Sam', gone for 30 years now might have known, as he had a laundry at #2616 and knew everyone up and down the street. His 'Sam Low Laundry' - the name of which meant 'the laundry of the three Lows' - 'sam' - being phonetic and symbolic Chinese for the 3 unrelated young men named Low who started it in 1926. Gramp's laundry received a write up of a few pages in this book:
http://www.redroom.com/publishedwork/chinese-laundries-tickets-survival-gold-mountain

Your 2nd question - I was surprised too. I worked at that Loblaws to the north of it in 72/73 but the Joy was gone by then.:eek:

Last edited:
very cool tour. thanks for these.

the three main things i noticed were that the gas stations disappeared (esso and BP), the full names of all the banks instead of the abbreviations, and those abovehead wires were horrible.

I wonder why the corner doodads were removed from the roof of the Glen Grove? Are they stored in the basement of some doodad wraith somewhere?

I waited in the cold all Saturday afternoon for the Witt car fanboy ride but it never came.

ser71_s0071_it2140.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

Believe it or not, it still stood, abandoned and mouldering, in the late 70s--I presume it bit the dust in preparation for the Loblaw-ization of the York Mills auto dealership site.

Back