Toronto Mirvish Village (Honest Ed's Redevelopment) | 85.04m | 26s | Westbank | Henriquez Partners

I have to believe that this project is more likely to resemble aspects of the Woodwards project because of the scale (although it won't be that tall). Woodwards isn't sterile at all.

I took a long walk around the Woodwards project just last month, and 'sterile' is not a word that would come to mind. In fact, it has contributed greatly to the rejuvenation of the area.

Don't be nervous. It sounds like 90% of what our new condos are like so it'll fit right in!

While Vancouver does have its share of uninspiring architecture, I personally find the condos there to be more visually appealing (I think one of the reasons is that the condo boom in Vancouver preceded that in Toronto so they are ahead in terms of evolution in design).

Comparing the condo buildings built by Concord in the two cities should make it obvious (especially the Concord condo buildings in Beach Crescent, Marinaside Crescent, and Cooper's Quay). One can also compare the Trump hotel/condo buildings in the two cities (the one in Vancouver is under construction and has retained the original design). Coal Harbour has its share of beautiful condo buildings - my favourites include Three Harbour Green (the granite and glass exterior of this building looks gorgeous, especially in person), Harbourside Park I and II, West Pender Place, and Jameson House. Some of the other condo buildings I like include Vancouver Tower, Pomaria, Rolston, Cinque Terre, Woodward’s (love the lattice work), Milano, and Vancouver House (under construction).

I think Vancouverism encompasses more than just “puny Vancouver-style podiums, fussy details and typical glass towers with cheesy curves and useless balconies,†as evident through the diverse sample of condo buildings I noted.

While Vancouver does have its share of uninspiring architecture, I personally find the condos there to be more visually appealing (I think one of the reasons is that the condo boom in Vancouver preceded that in Toronto so they are ahead in terms of evolution in design).

Comparing the condo buildings built by Concord in the two cities should make it obvious (especially the Concord condo buildings in Beach Crescent, Marinaside Crescent, and Cooper's Quay). One can also compare the Trump hotel/condo buildings in the two cities (the one in Vancouver is under construction and has retained the original design). Coal Harbour has its share of beautiful condo buildings - my favourites include Three Harbour Green (the granite and glass exterior of this building looks gorgeous, especially in person), Harbourside Park I and II, West Pender Place, and Jameson House. Some of the other condo buildings I like include Vancouver Tower, Pomaria, Rolston, Cinque Terre, Woodward’s (love the lattice work), Milano, and Vancouver House (under construction).

I think Vancouverism encompasses more than just “puny Vancouver-style podiums, fussy details and typical glass towers with cheesy curves and useless balconies,†as evident through the diverse sample of condo buildings I noted.

Drives me crazy when people compare Vancouver to Toronto's Trump. You don't see people comparing Sheratons or Hiltons. Completely different development teams here! Concord Pacific Place and Cityplace target different income brackets and should be taken into consideration. The Harbour Green complex also has one of the highest price points in Canada. Love the materials but, the designs can be a little obtuse particularly the penthouse of One Harbour Green. I find Jameson House a bit of a let down (for what it represents) although I find that with a lot of Nigel Dancey's work. Rolston is awful. We have much better versions of it here. I do prefer Vancouver House to Telus Sky.

Drives me crazy when people compare Vancouver to Toronto's Trump. You don't see people comparing Sheratons or Hiltons. Completely different development teams here! Concord Pacific Place and Cityplace target different income brackets and should be taken into consideration. The Harbour Green complex also has one of the highest price points in Canada. Love the materials but, the designs can be a little obtuse particularly the penthouse of One Harbour Green. I find Jameson House a bit of a let down (for what it represents) although I find that with a lot of Nigel Dancey's work. Rolston is awful. We have much better versions of it here. I do prefer Vancouver House to Telus Sky.

Well the Sheraton complex in Vancouver is so much nicer but it would not be a fair comparison since it was built much later. But the Trump hotel/condo buildings in both cities are from around the same time. I did note that the Trump hotel/condo building in Vancouver had retained the original design, which was going to house a Ritz-Carlton hotel. The question is why don’t/can’t developers in Toronto come up with better designs?

Concord Pacific Place comprises of multiple neighborhoods, some more expensive than others. Among the three neighborhoods I noted, only Beach Crescent would be more expensive than CityPlace. In addition, within each Concord Pacific Place neighborhood, there are buildings targeted at different income brackets. I think the idea of creating more egalitarian neighborhoods as opposed to distinct class enclaves is refreshing and forward-thinking.

I find Three Harbour Green exceptionally stunning (the shades of grey and green are pleasantly deep and rich, making for a lovely contrast) even when compared to the most expensive condo buildings in Toronto.

I love Jameson House and Rolston (especially considering the space they had to work with) but it’s a matter of personal taste. Out of curiosity, which buildings in Toronto were you thinking of as comparable to Rolston?

The comparisons of Trump are totally valid. Like that didn't happen between Trump Chicago and Toronto? Trump projects have always been about the architecture unlike the Hilton's of the world. Now that there are two Trump's in Canada, it's fair to compare.

"The question is why don’t/can’t developers in Toronto come up with better designs?"
They totally can (and do) but often times buildings get 'value engineered' to death resulting in a lot of garbage out there. To say the whole city is like this is simply not true though.

Either way, I looked at Henriquez's website and i'm excited to see what he'll come up with. Not every project has to be designed by aA. I think he'll have a fresh perspective.

They totally can (and do) but often times buildings get 'value engineered' to death resulting in a lot of garbage out there. To say the whole city is like this is simply not true though.

Well the "value engineered" phenomenon seems to be more prevalent here than other cities like Vancouver.

link not working.

it was only on the market for 8 days and got pulled yesterday. It was "only" overpriced by about $7,500,000+, if your interested you can look up 115 Dunvegan Rd on street view. I wonder in what musical dream he came up with 12 mill.
2wdvdk0.jpg

The comparisons of Trump are totally valid. Like that didn't happen between Trump Chicago and Toronto? Trump projects have always been about the architecture unlike the Hilton's of the world. Now that there are two Trump's in Canada, it's fair to compare.

"The question is why don’t/can’t developers in Toronto come up with better designs?"

Either way, I looked at Henriquez's website and i'm excited to see what he'll come up with. Not every project has to be designed by aA. I think he'll have a fresh perspective.

the problem I have with Trump Toronto does more to do with its location - right beside Canada's two tallest bank towers and a few other tall office building so that is almost completely invisible most of time (although given its design it might be a good thing).

Trump Chicago is at a more dramatic location. I wish Trump Toronto is on University Ave or further west, or by Lake Ontario

given the horrendous 90's style painted brick it could very well be.

Wait... what makes painted brick a) "90's or b) horrendous ? I like painted brick, especially if it is done in a light color and a matte finish. For me, painting brick is just the same as painting any other cladding material like wood or metal, although brick has a nice texture and takes paint well. It only looks bad once it starts to peel and chip... although if it is repainted every few years, the effect can look great.

I realize this is way off topic. Sorry moderator.

David Mirvish's house back on the market today, this time with a "reduced" price of 10.995 Million. Might get lucky with a Chinese manufacturing tycoon or Russian oil oligarch picking it up close to asking price.

Back