Toronto Mirvish Village (Honest Ed's Redevelopment) | 85.04m | 26s | Westbank | Henriquez Partners

Development will include 1000 rental units. NO condo units to be sold. The units are described as "family sized". 44% of the units will be two, three or four bedrooms. There is a permanent street market (as seen in the render and map). Retail units are smaller in size (similar in scale to typical retail units on Bloor). Three towers of 29, 22 and 21 stories.

Homes and small commercial buildings on Markham street will remain intact. Markham street will be served with a bike valet, with an underground bike service area/shop (underground parking for bikes?). The intent is for Markham to have "destination restaurants".

Last edited:
There's a lot to like about this proposal. I kind of think a busy mess is what this site needs. Seems like the next best thing to having the site developed organically as small lots.

There's a lot to like about this proposal. I kind of think a busy mess is what this site needs. Seems like the next best thing to having the site developed organically as small lots.

agreed a busy mess fits the annex perfectly.

I am curious to see/ hear more details but this looks better to me than what many people were expecting. The varying heights are nice, breaks things up and makes it seem more personal, the trees help with that as well, feels more like a community than a typical condo. Smaller retail fits in here well, and a market sounds nice.

It's not amazing, but I'm tired of huge block sized podiums and towers. Are the houses being retained?

More images:

y2Oiedf.jpg

NfU6dIZ.jpg

vjHO5I1.jpg

HNgXVe6.jpg

Looking at those renders, I have to say I think its perfect. Its crazy, granted no arguing there, but it will instantly fit in. People have been complaining about boring stretches of street wall and asking for variation in height and facade. Not everyone of course will like this, but I think this really does appeal to the people of the Annex. Hell if this gets built I'd move there.

It is a hot mess I think a lot of people could fall in love with.

I was hoping for architectural spectacle, but this project looks great. Big monotonous podiums and monolithic towers make the pedestrian experience dull; the variety of facades evident in this project is a refreshing change of pace. Keeping Markham Street intact is important.

However, I think the project looks somewhat chaotic and could use more refinement. The trees seemed to have been inserted to avoid a sterile look, but they contribute greatly to the look of chaos.

Last edited:
Is there anything on their website? They said info would be available at 7:00 p.m. I guess this will have to suffice.

Quite like it - it's trying to emulate a very organic, messy type of urbanism you'd find in Asian cities. I don't think I have seen anything like that in Toronto.

Russell_Street.JPG

Russel Street, Hong Kong (wikipedia)

Ikebukuro_28006.jpg

Ikebukuro, Tokyo (wikipedia)

Now it would be nice if it wasn't from a megablock development, but hey, it is what it is.

AoD

Attachments

• Russell_Street.JPG
    Russell_Street.JPG
    719.4 KB · Views: 1,173
  • Ikebukuro_28006.jpg
    Ikebukuro_28006.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,358
Last edited:
I am not concerned with the density. The height is comparable to say, Woodward college residence at St. George and I don't think it overpowers its surroundings. Toronto is growing and density is going to affect all our neighborhoods. I'm glad this is a unique and sensitive approach to density that seeks to give back to the city and neighbourhood. Yet another point tower on a podium or a step-backed mid rise would have been a huge disappointment.

Back