News   Apr 18, 2024
 449     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.4K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

Miller leaves NDP

Darkstar: What were you doing listening to CFRB? :) You know that's the Hazel/Mel worship station, don't you?

Yeah, that's one of my hang-ups about Hazel, talking about running the city like a business and referring to taxpayers as "shareholders" - taxes are not like RRSPs!

Hazel oversaw the essential rape of the landscape west of Toronto. When I arrived in Canada in 1976, we settled in Meadowvale, and quickly saw the surrounding farms torn up for houses. Hazel never had any development plan, other than to maximise the fees.

Not to defend Hazel, but Mississauga was hardly alone when it comes to this.

Mississauga was no worse than many municipalities, including Metropolitan Toronto. I think you'll find that neighbourhoods built in Mississauga in, say, the early 70s would look an awful lot like neighbourhoods built in Scarborough, Richmond Hill, Brampton, etc. ... in the same time period.

It's mystifying to me why Hazel gets singled out so often in threads on this topic. Urban planning has evolved hugely over the years, and we have a very different understanding now. To Hazel's credit she has not remained stuck in the past. She has made many statements lamenting poor decisions from the past and advocating for better land-use planning and better transit. I'd like to see similar statements from a number of other suburban politicians.

And actually, 70s Meadowvale ranks among the best of the 70s best in the GTA; like Erin Mills, it was part of that whole E.P. Taylor sequel-to-Don Mills thing. (Look carefully at some of the older enclaves, like along Falconer Drive...)

Back