News   Jul 04, 2024
 291     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 486     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 525     0 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

Believe me, nobody goes to Scarbrough Centre with the 95E. It's about a 20 min ride to Scarbrough Centre in the day time, 25 minutes during rush hour. Everyone takes the 198 Rocket.

Well no one takes it to go to STC because it frankly doesn't go there. All 95 routes continue along Ellesmere/York Mills, it only stops at Ellesmere and McCowan and it never goes into the terminal. If you wanted to go from UTSC to STC you'd take the 38 Highland Creek. The 95E is really only good if live by it or you want to get to the Yonge line.

Also regarding time, it's not the biggest difference. Taking the 198 is actually slower than the old 116E, as it has more stops. The benefit is that it now runs all day as opposed to only during rush hour. Also taking the 198 means taking it at Kennedy and not STC, so the bus ride is longer. Also the frequency of the 38 is better when compared to the 198. While it is usually quicker to hop on the 198, the STC/38 route is a nice alternative to have sometimes, particularly when Eglinton or Kingston is backed up (like it was a few weeks ago for road work; down to one lane in the morning rush hour)

And to my knowledge there isn't any express bus from UTSC to Centennial and UTSC. I do think it is an idea worth entertaining though, particularly given the fact that a GO Bus route that I used to take would take no time to get from STC to UTSC. It would take Progress out of the terminal to get to Centennial and get on the Highway and exit off on Morningside, where it would continue down to Ellesmere, unload at the other Centennial Campus, and continue along Ellesmere to Military Trail and then the UTSC Bus loop. So simple and easy.

Hell, if the TTC would rather not use the 401, they could go run it along Milner and add a stop at the Super Centre at Milner and Morningside.

Last edited:
Well no one takes it to go to STC because it frankly doesn't go there. All 95 routes continue along Ellesmere/York Mills, it only stops at Ellesmere and McCowan and it never goes into the terminal. If you wanted to go from UTSC to STC you'd take the 38 Highland Creek. The 95E is really only good if live by it or you want to get to the Yonge line.

My bad. Had a brain fart.

Also regarding time, it's not the biggest difference. Taking the 198 is actually slower than the old 116E, as it has more stops.

Having more stops is good, even if it slows down my commute. That way the rest of the community can benefit from it as well. I believe the old bus was basically a shuttle from UTSC to Kennedy, which seems pretty wasteful to me.

Having more stops is good, even if it slows down my commute. That way the rest of the community can benefit from it as well. I believe the old bus was basically a shuttle from UTSC to Kennedy, which seems pretty wasteful to me.

I suppose it does serve the community more. The old bus stopped in a few places like Morningside and Kingtson and then a handful of other stops. What can be said with certainty is that either way is 10 times better than having to take the regular 116. That thing takes like 40 minutes to get to the station.

The sad thing about the subway extension is that it will do very little to improve the commutes for UTSC students and people who live and work in east Scarborough (other than stroking a few egos). I'll have a 10 minute longer bus ride to rapid transit just to avoid making a 2 or 3 minute trasfer (SRT to BD)

In other words, my commute is now longer than it would be if we had stuck to the SRT plan.

This deal sucks for people in east Scaborough.
So does the sheppard east subway but it was never about improving transit. It was about improving home values between victoria park and brimley.

So does the sheppard east subway but it was never about improving transit. It was about improving home values between victoria park and brimley.

How did you come to that conclusion? I thought the subway was about not being second class citizens, and not removing traffic lanes from entitled drivers.

How did you come to that conclusion? I thought the subway was about not being second class citizens, and not removing traffic lanes from entitled drivers.

No, the subway was about some sort of skewed perception of what is "right" and "fair" by a couple of politicians trying to create their own never-ending fiefdoms and legacies.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Because Scarborough has the cheapest property in the entire city. If the bloor danforth extension gets built, then place like Brimley and Lawrence and Danforth and Eglinton become more expensive. If sheppard east is built, Agincourt will become out of reach. Just like how all of North York east of Bathurst is so expensive.

Because Scarborough has the cheapest property in the entire city. If the bloor danforth extension gets built, then place like Brimley and Lawrence and Danforth and Eglinton become more expensive. If sheppard east is built, Agincourt will become out of reach. Just like how all of North York east of Bathurst is so expensive.

That may be true, but I didn't hear any subway boosters using property values as a reason to build subways in Scarborough.

That may be true, but I didn't hear any subway boosters using property values as a reason to build subways in Scarborough.

Boosting property values will also mean the area's property tax assessments could also go up. Then when their property taxes go up, watch them complain.

Last edited:
Folks, the Scarborough Subway is just a plot by downtown lefty elites to price average taxpayers out of their Scarborough homes and replace them with rich downtown elitists. The downtown lefty elites pretend not to support the $3 Billion boondoggle known as Scarborough Subway (and we know how lefties love their boondoggles), because they know that their apparent non-support of the subway will make people in Scarborough support the it. Folks, this is why we must proceed with the SRT plan. If we don't, the downtown pinkos win.

Last edited:
I'm voting for TheTigerMaster.

Back