News   Jul 04, 2024
 265     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 440     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 530     1 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

The Sheppard East LRT is not the reason why the grade separation is happening.

Have you actually been to the site? I have. And this is the sign I photographed there 18 months ago: "SHEPPARD EAST LRT UNDERPASS". As you can see, it's been so designated by all three levels of government, which is unambiguously why they are funding it.

b2f33e4c.jpg

This line features some of the few remaining level crossings on major thoroughfares in Toronto, and the city has been content that they remained so for decades. Only with the announcement of the Sheppard East LRT was the elimination of this level crossing finally undertaken. Note that this is not being done on either Finch to the north or Progress to the south; only on this road with its projected light rail line.

If you claim you're still not convinced, you need to check this out.

You are totally missing my point and I truly do not understand why. Anyway, focus on providing on any new information regarding this project

My point is that you said, and I quote,

The Agincourt GO/Sheppard Avenue East Grade Separation has no connection to SELRT.

...and I'm showing you the unequivocal proof that it did. That the city had in mind at some vague point to eliminate a bottlenecking level crossing is self-evident. But the fact is, that project wasn't undertaken until we were granted nearly a billion dollars in public funding to implement Transit City--and as I pointed out, this isn't going on at Finch's level crossing on the same line. Just Sheppard's.

The project was well underway with Sheppard Avenue a 15' hole in the ground and its traffic squeezing by on a two-lane detour by the time Mississauga Fats called off the LRT (April, 2011; I have photos of that, too). The transit line might be a thing of the past, but it is undeniably the reason the shovels hit the ground there when they did, and that's my point. To say that the work has nothing to do with the LRT is wrong, and if Ford had been elected a year earlier than he was, motorists on Sheppard would almost unquestionably still be rumbling over the Agincourt level crossing to this day.

My quote is simply referring to the fact that the grade separation will happen regardless of whether the SELRT is built or not. We cannot have traffic backing up on Sheppard between Midland and Kennedy every time a train passes. In fact, if there was money in previous capital budgets, the underpass could have been completed a few years back.

However the proposed SELRT has pushed the underpass to be completed sooner rather than later

Last edited:
My quote is simply referring to the fact that the grade separation will happen regardless of whether the SELRT is built or not.

It will now, obviously. By the time Ford axed the program, there was no going back where Sheppard Avenue was concerned; it was already torn up. But that's not what you said. You said the construction of the underpass had nothing to do with the LRT, and it did. That's where the funding came from.

We cannot have traffic backing up on Sheppard between Midland and Kennedy every time a train passes.

I would tend to agree, but the point is that the city didn't. While most level crossings in Toronto were eliminated by the 1960s, the ones on this line persist to this day. GO Trains have been using that line since 1982, and still there are several level crossings on it.

if there was money in previous capital budgets, the underpass could have been completed a few years back.

"If." Clearly it was not a priority before the LRT.

However the proposed SELRT has pushed the underpass to be completed sooner rather than later

Which is my point, and what you've been denying all evening. Thank you.

Ultimately, it was going to happen one way or the other. The timing, and the Transit City post of money, were the reason it happened when and how it happened.

Considering the volume of train traffic on Strachan versus that Sheppard crossing; it may have been another 20+ years before GO considered it essential. In fact, I bet Finch and Steeles are still level crossings up until the day the line is electrified.

I would tend to agree, but the point is that the city didn't. While most level crossings in Toronto were eliminated by the 1960s, the ones on this line persist to this day.

A bit off topic, but that is actually not true. The City has been pretty consistently upgrading level crossings to grade separations since the 1890s right until now, with the only real "glut" of completions being due to the massive grade separations around Union Station (1930) and to the east (1930) and west (1912). Despite all of those, and the ones across the North Toronto Sub (1917), there have still been quite a few grade separations completed since the 1960s.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Just look at the Dufferin jog fix and how long that took. Technically the rail lines there were already grade separated there, but it did take the prospect of more trains to get them to do the whole thing finally, and it did involved some delicate work.

Is there a possibility that SELRT could still be built before the SRT is taken out of service? Wasn't this the plan under Transit City?

The plan was for it to begin service in late fall 2013, though that may have changed to spring 2014? It'd be mid-2015 at the earliest now I expect. Remember, the TC LRVs were supposed to begin delivery to Colins Yard this December and 50%(?) of the rail was to be laid by the end of 2011. The biggest thing time-wise is the tunnel. It was planned for construction from 2011-2013 using two of the four TBMs that will be used on Eglinton. The thing is now it's probably too late to use them since they need to go to Eglinton.... so I'm not sure what the plan would be. That said, the Finch LRT would need TBMs too, though I never heard what the plans were in that regard. The Finch line is to begin construction in 2015 and will need a portal near Finch W stn. When Metrolinx's investment strategy comes out it's supposed to fund all of the Phase 2 parts of TC, and for that a tunnel is to be constructed for the last few hundred metres before Finch Stn.

So.... it'd probably be a touch late to help out the SRT though it may still be possible if the SRT could operate until the very end of 2015.

Last edited:
Why would the TBM be needed for the FInch LRT? Is it not surface LRT? I don't remember seeing them along St. Clair but then I was not necessarily around there during that time

Back