News   Jul 04, 2024
 453     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 530     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 556     1 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

I'm not sure how accurate that map is, but it begs the question why didn't just build the underground portion as subway and have a subway station at Consumers? I know a one-stop extension it probably isn't worth it for. I guess they'll just convert it when they build the rest of the Sheppard line. What that map does show is how "local" a service this line is. A subway from Don Mills to STC doesn't really duplicate much of the SELRT. A Sheppard Subway would have to turn south probably around Agincourt I'm guessing, which leaves Midland, Brimley, Brownspring, McCowan, White Haven, Shorting, Massie, Markham, Washburn, Burrows Hall, Neilson, Murison, Brenyon, Morningside, (Dean Park, Idagrove, Meadowvale Rd) which aren't being served by a Sheppard Subway anyway.

Let's look at the duplicated part:

Consumers, Victoria Park, Pharmacy, Palmdale, Warden, Bay Mills, Birchmount, Allanford, Kennedy, Agincourt.

Subway stations: Consumers, Vic Park and/or Pharmacy, Warden, Birchmount, Agincourt might make a good GO/LRT/Subway interchange, and then dip down to STC.

I'm not sure how accurate that map is, but it begs the question why didn't just build the underground portion as subway and have a subway station at Consumers?

The EA pretty clearly answered this. There were more expected passengers on the LRT going to Don Mills than on the Subway with a destination at Vic Park. So, it was done to help keep transfers down; there was no significant cost benefit.

Most of the tunnel is reusable, though of course the ramp itself will not be.

This posting can go under GO Projects as well.

In the next or so, the bypass ar Againcourt will be cut into the existing mainline as well accross Sheppard Ave. Tracks in place on both sides of the existing Sheppard as well the new bypass road. Concrete for the north sidewalk will be pour on Monday with paving taking place right after as the centre section is now ready to be pave. The first 2 south end coaches will not open as they will be too far away from the existing platform and will remain that way until the new bridge is built.

Photo's to follow on Sunday.

I hope so, this Stouffville line could use a siding or two along this corridor so they could increase service levels on this line.

Do we know if they are making space for two tracks on the bridge they are building?

Yes, there will be 2 tracks on the new bridge

I hope that Metrolinx/GO lands the funding to grade seperate this Stouffville line where it crosses Progress (west of Midland) and also where it crosses Danforth Rd.( west of Midland as well). These grade seperations not only increase the efficiency of any line, they also significantly improve its safety.

Who actually awards the contracts? Is it not the TTC board?
The board normally votes to approve large contracts, but back in the fall they waived that for the Transit City projects. I'd think that it's Webster's signature that is key; but I'm only guessing.

This previously funded LRT project was cancelled by Ford & Co., but at least some of its legacy is still going on. The Agincourt GO Station along Sheppard is still getting its funding to grade seperate the GO line from Sheppard Ave. Even without LRT this is a much needed expenditure- it will increase the efficiency of both the GO Stoufville Line and the 85 and 190 bus routes as well as the street traffic on Sheppard. The Rail bridge is now working with trains running on it, and now a lot of Dufferin Construction's excavation equipment has been moved to the east side of the tracks, where the temporary GO diversion tracks were and they are beginning to excavate that side of this new underpass. Hopefully, with this work continuing the city of Toronto and Province restarts the Sheppard East LRT- maybe have it go south after the Agincourt GO station and connect Scarborough Town Centre with the Don Mills subway station via this LRT line. Sheppard Ave. east of the Agincourt GO station could be well served by a shotened 85 bus route- that way the Malvern Bus garage would important rather then hindered by an LRT line running by it.

Back