News   Jul 04, 2024
 802     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 681     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 602     1 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

All this assumes work on Sheppard starts immediately. But I believe Metrolinx is now saying that Finch is the priority, and work on Finch and Sheppard can't happen simultaneously. (I think it was John Lorinc who said this on twitter.) So it is not clear if anything at all will be done by 2014.

I don't know about the tunnel component but TTC has had 3 simultaneous track rebuild projects underway in the past. One crew for Finch, one for Sheppard, and one for legacy track is possible.

It really boils down to how quickly the province can release funds to hire contractors.

I do understand why Finch would be a priority. The subway station will be underway soon and requires another redesign to eliminate the bus terminal and add back the LRT loading/unloading bays.

Did the amended text approved by council state that Sheppard was the cities priority? The initial wording submitted by the expert panel did state that.

All this assumes work on Sheppard starts immediately. But I believe Metrolinx is now saying that Finch is the priority, and work on Finch and Sheppard can't happen simultaneously. (I think it was John Lorinc who said this on twitter.) So it is not clear if anything at all will be done by 2014.

Why can't they all be done at the same time? If that is the case, the next election will put 1 part of scarborough against the other. The eastern part that will get LRT (and not subways) and the western part that is close enough to the present subway that want that extra 1 or 2 stops to reach them. It means the left can only have 1 person running or else Ford may come up the middle and win. But after his performance as mayor it seems doubtful. Plus there may be others from the right that want to run as mayor. The LRT should start where the subway presently ends and do east

Why can't they all be done at the same time?
Because the province is only making a limited amount of money available each year. Only $575 million in 2011/12. $990 million in 2012/2013. $935 million in 2013/14. $920 million in 2014/15. The big money doesn't arrive until 2015/16 when it's $1.8 billion. Also remember that the province had reallocated the spending so that all of it was going to be spent on the central Eglinton section until 2015 ... so starting anything else at this stage, would require slowing down Eglinton.

Because the province is only making a limited amount of money available each year. Only $575 million in 2011/12. $990 million in 2012/2013. $935 million in 2013/14. $920 million in 2014/15. The big money doesn't arrive until 2015/16 when it's $1.8 billion. Also remember that the province had reallocated the spending so that all of it was going to be spent on the central Eglinton section until 2015 ... so starting anything else at this stage, would require slowing down Eglinton.

Sigh, the devil is always in the details. If we didn't have issues with the budget and Rob Ford messing with Transit City, we could have Sheppard almost complete in a year or two according to the original plans.

Metrolinx has stated, Finch will not get underway until 2015/16 at the earliest.

Given the fact that Sheppard was to be underway now, it boils down how to move money around to get Sheppard back on track with an opening date of 2016.

Since this project has been a hot potato since Dec 2010 and the government want to have something to show for 2015 election, this project will be fast track at all levels to get this line underway. Even if it may means putting more up front money to do it. Next week budget may tell us something about funding of TC.

Now that council has approved LRT for Sheppard, will we see the GO Agincourt station stop built now while there is still time to build it?

The ROW will be built as plan, since it always was in the plan, but it will not be fill in with asphalt now. Don't expect to see rail lay this year, since there is no money to do it nor a decision if TTC crews will be doing the work.

Taking the line under the 404 will take time and the reason the line was to be built from the east end toward Don Mills.

With Council now saying the line goes to Meadowvale, the hock to SUTC can be built now, as well stopping TTC from starting the line further west as they wanted. Will be too late for the Pan AM games now unless work was done on a 7/24/365 schedule. That still can happen.

I don't see the Eglinton centre section been slow down too much to keep funds in line, but have to wait to hear next week budget as well what is said at the next Metrolinx BOD meeting. There still has to be an EA update for the line going underground from Keele to Jane as well entrance the Kodiak property including the land used.

Since the next BOD meeting for Metrolinx is June 21st, it will be interesting to see if an earlier one is call to deal with the contract between Toronto and them on the transit plan as well setting new timetables and funding schedules.

I expect to see Metrolinx budget get cut in next week budget and this will cause some problems down the line for various GO projects that are not tie to the Pan Am games.

Last edited:
Just curious - to what extent does the Eglinton LRT make the Sheppard LRT extension less important (or even possibly redundant)? ie. wouldn't it make more sense to consider implementing a different transit city line instead?

Just curious - to what extent does the Eglinton LRT make the Sheppard LRT extension less important (or even possibly redundant)? ie. wouldn't it make more sense to consider implementing a different transit city line instead?

wow... that's like saying all the street cars from lakeshore to Bloor street are redundant...

It's a substantial distance between eglinton and Shepperd.. you should try and head up there sometime.

One can argue that the east portion of Eglinton is not nearly as dense as Shepperd... between Laird and Warden, it's pretty much industrial land and strip plazas....

I do live up here (well further east into Scarborough). And I worked at Sheppard and Consumers rd for 10 years up until a couple of years ago.

I'm not necessarily saying Eglinton makes Sheppard redundant, I'm just wondering if, given limited resources, it shifts the equation such that another Transit City LRT line is more worthwhile pursuing. For example the Jane or Don Mills LRT lines, or even extending the Eglinton line westward to the airport (and.or further east to Kingston rd)

I realize Sheppard is getting done because of political reasons (and because the EA is complete) just wondering if it still makes as much sense as it did without the Eglinton LRT line.

Last edited:
I don't know about the tunnel component but TTC has had 3 simultaneous track rebuild projects underway in the past. One crew for Finch, one for Sheppard, and one for legacy track is possible.

It really boils down to how quickly the province can release funds to hire contractors.

This is hardly a track rebuild. It's a massive re-engineering of the entire roadways. Subcontracting design work to multiple firms might increase capacity to do it all at once, but I think there is reluctance to lose control of the projects that way.

With Council now saying the line goes to Meadowvale, the hock to SUTC can be built now, as well stopping TTC from starting the line further west as they wanted. Will be too late for the Pan AM games now unless work was done on a 7/24/365 schedule. That still can happen.

I don't see the Eglinton centre section been slow down too much to keep funds in line, but have to wait to hear next week budget as well what is said at the next Metrolinx BOD meeting. There still has to be an EA update for the line going underground from Keele to Jane as well entrance the Kodiak property including the land used.

Since the next BOD meeting for Metrolinx is June 21st, it will be interesting to see if an earlier one is call to deal with the contract between Toronto and them on the transit plan as well setting new timetables and funding schedules.

I expect to see Metrolinx budget get cut in next week budget and this will cause some problems down the line for various GO projects that are not tie to the Pan Am games.

Huh? Council approved Sheppard to Morningside, not Meadowvale. The proposal for a spur to UTSC was rejected long ago, I thought. UTSC is to be served by the mythical Malvern LRT.

I don't think Transit City will be cut in the budget. Not only have McGuinty and Chiarelli said otherwise, but McGuinty has a clear political interest in making his Ford problem go away as fast as possible.

This is hardly a track rebuild. It's a massive re-engineering of the entire roadways. Subcontracting design work to multiple firms might increase capacity to do it all at once, but I think there is reluctance to lose control of the projects that way.

Design work for Sheppard is mostly complete. You will recall some construction work has actually been tendered once then cancelled.

Dozens of firms are capable of utility moves (based on other roadwork tenders) and we know 4 or so are capable of doing trackwork.

Each of the Spadina subway tenders have had multiple bidders that did not win the contract. They will be available to perform the tunnel/portal/Don Mills platform work.

The constraint will be on timing of funds being released. Not finding contractors to perform the work.

Last edited:
I really doubt work would start this year. Next year is more realistic. I think it should be ready for 2016-2017. During the council session TTC said 5 years for SELRT

Back