News   Jul 15, 2024
 766     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 917     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 639     0 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

Let's see. You're a developer. Would you want to build near Scarborough Town Centre... or near the announced East Harbour site? I'll pick East Harbour. See link.

2017121-east-harbour-diagram.jpg

Is this even a serious question? Or just more divisive rhetoric against Scarborough. They are building luxury condos in Grimsby. Yes Grimsby. Burlington, Oakville, Markham, Hamilton, Mississauga, etc... Im certain most developers prefer the sacred lands near downtown but when areas which are promoted to the highest important by their municipalities people feel good about investing.

If you have the City Center of Toronto's largest suburb in size connected seamlessly to downtown people will be excited to invest and be attracted far more than with the transfer 1 stop prior on the LRT to this main Growth node. To isolate the City Center by one stop is just poor planning. The LRT's will be great surrounding but not as a blanket technology cutting corners again. The subway should have been built decades ago to prevent this from happening.

Scarborough Center will have a more urban streetscape planned and with the subway plus other transit enhancements on Sheppard, Ellesmere BRT, and with or without the speculative re-use of RT portion for a cross City into Malvern it will be a great place to commute. In addition to the 401 access the seamless subway connection will become part of the foundation for this very important "central" growth node. It will become extremely attractive as an bedroom community in the GTA.

In addition to the poor geographic comparison in your post the comparisons from other posters comparing SCC to the stops at Vic Park or Warden is completely unreasonable.

Last edited:
Let's see. You're a developer. Would you want to build near Scarborough Town Centre... or near the announced East Harbour site? I'll pick East Harbour. See link.

The land at STC is cheaper. With the subway coming at STC and the city completely revitalizing the whole area, I know I can sell at a higher price and make a profit. STC will attract condo developers. I think we all agree that office towers are unlikely to choose STC but condos? definately

The land at STC is cheaper. With the subway coming at STC and the city completely revitalizing the whole area, I know I can sell at a higher price and make a profit. STC will attract condo developers. I think we all agree that office towers are unlikely to choose STC but condos? definately

Land costs are a tiny portion of overall project costs.

That is odd. I'm very surprised they mentioned it at all.

It could be mentioned to ensure the existing funds allocated for Sheppard continue to be carried forward. All the other signals are pointing to the subway but until it has been officially approved we are likely to see the LRT stay in the plans with a variable estimated start date.

It's probably telling the city to start thinking about what it wants to do before the provinces invest too much resources into the Sheppard LRT.

If the city really wants a subway there, the province is probably giving them a nudge to ask the Feds for money to pay for the extra cost ASAP.

I see this as a "I've given you the memo" type of thing so that the city doesn't make the province delay start on this project a second time. And if it does happen, then the city won't beable to cry foul if Metrolinx just out right cancels the project.

It's probably telling the city to start thinking about what it wants to do before the provinces invest too much resources into the Sheppard LRT.

If the city really wants a subway there, the province is probably giving them a nudge to ask the Feds for money to pay for the extra cost ASAP.

I see this as a "I've given you the memo" type of thing so that the city doesn't make the province delay start on this project a second time. And if it does happen, then the city won't beable to cry foul if Metrolinx just out right cancels the project.

In theory, if Sheppard East subway is shovel ready, it's also eligible to the Federal Government Infrastructure program which covers 50% of the overall costs. What's the cost of that extension in today's dollars?

In theory, if Sheppard East subway is shovel ready, it's also eligible to the Federal Government Infrastructure program which covers 50% of the overall costs. What's the cost of that extension in today's dollars?
It will cost $4.5B from Don Mills to STC (calculated from 4.2B 2011$)

It will cost $4.5B from Don Mills to STC (calculated from 4.2B 2011$)

So in 2011$ with the new program...

$2.1B Feds (50% Federal Infrastructure program)
$1.0B Queen's Park (original commitment for Sheppard LRT but election year could increase said funding)
$1.1B City (Tolls and other tax revenues)

Line 4: Sheppard West to Scarborough Centre

Logically to be eligible to this new program, they would have to cancel Sheppard LRT otherwise it's the old deal that applies ($333M from the Feds signed with the Conservatives). As you can see, it's in all parties involved interests to restart the project so the Feds would have to invest a bigger share of the costs required.

LRT or Subway? One way or another, this one's getting cancelled and restarted. This should never be ahead of more pressing matters but Toronto is at a stage where building multiple lines at the same time should be our goal in the next decade

Last edited:
Sheppard will have to go from wilson to stc. don't just finish the subway not the connection between university and yonge.
In the mean time, they can find a way to fix that subway to bus transfer at Sheppard-Yonge (from subway to Sheppard West buses). I don't know how that compares with the infamous Kennedy subway/RT transfer, but it is unnecessarily long.

In the mean time, they can find a way to fix that subway to bus transfer at Sheppard-Yonge (from subway to Sheppard West buses). I don't know how that compares with the infamous Kennedy subway/RT transfer, but it is unnecessarily long.

How? They can't just move the terminal.

Back