News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 978     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

Waterloo ION, Ottawa Confederation, Eglinton, Finch West LRT, Hurontario, Hamilton, and then Sheppard.
Wait until they come to terms with the preferred bidder on the Eglinton line, and announced that schedule. I think we've long since passed the boat for a 2020 opening, when they haven't even done detailed design of the stations yet. I doubt Eglinton will open before 2022.

According to Mr. Del Duca, the delay on Sheppard was because of the difficulty of trying to do too many big projects at once. “The plan right now is to have the procurement begin for the Sheppard East LRT after we complete the Finch West LRT,†he said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...admits-sheppard-east-on-hold/article24142765/

What sort of bullshit excuse is this?

Don't worry, they'll come up with a better excuse for the next delay when their pet-project still doesn't have funding; assuming anybody making decisions today is still in power.
Del Duca is the worst, he's won't even open the Spadina Extension halfway early.

Watch this become an election issue in 2018.
Of course. "What about North Scarborough?" I can hear it now.

SELRT got cancelled a long time ago. The RFP for the yards was issued in 2010 and the entire line could have had a construction start in early 2011. McGuinty was getting pushback internally on both Finch and Sheppard LRT before Ford got elected. His election was a very convenient excuse to put the stake into it (substantial and perpetual delays) with the hope by MPPs of funding subway expansion.

If there was any intention to build something smaller-scale but useful then it would have been studied and constructed by now. LRT is being kept alive because the politicians know they'll get kicked out if they cancel it without a larger replacement project, but the electorate will let them keep kicking the start date down (they're hoping for subway funding too). SELRT does not have a funding or manpower issue; it has a political roadblock.

In both cases an expensive dream killed "good-enough for now".

I'm in favour of building subways, I'm not in favour of killing useful funded projects for temporary happy/wistful feelings.

Well, McGuinty reprofiled the Transit City projects back in 2010, and SELRT was not due to open until 2018, so they yard project did not need to hurry. Plus, they decided to go the DBFOM route so no way was construction going to start in 2011. I'm saying killing SELRT was a logical decision when they finally made it (but didn't tell us) in 2013, and I don't see that it was necessarily driven by the "we want subways" fantasy.

As to getting going on a small scale alternative, do any of us agree what that would be? BRT that eats traffic lanes will get no joy in the community I presume. What do you think? based on your previous writing I would have thought you would be a big proponent of SmartTrack.

Well, McGuinty reprofiled the Transit City projects back in 2010, and SELRT was not due to open until 2018, so they yard project did not need to hurry. Plus, they decided to go the DBFOM route so no way was construction going to start in 2011. I'm saying killing SELRT was a logical decision when they finally made it (but didn't tell us) in 2013, and I don't see that it was necessarily driven by the "we want subways" fantasy.

As to getting going on a small scale alternative, do any of us agree what that would be? BRT that eats traffic lanes will get no joy in the community I presume. What do you think? based on your previous writing I would have thought you would be a big proponent of SmartTrack.
They are going to come out and push for the subway. They have no choice now, if Finch and Eglinton West get something and Sheppard doesn't they'll lose their seats in three years.

He wants the entire Spadina line finished before Spadina opens, even though that won't be possible before 2020.
Which the external consultant figured would, what, be about 3-4 months early, but then delay the rest of the line even further, and cost a lot of money?

It wasn't Del Duca that nixed that. It was TTC. And who wouldn't? If Del Duca agrees with the decision then I'm not sure what that proves.

Not sure what you mean by 2020 ... you must be thinking Eglinton.

Last edited:
I'm calling it now. Sheppard extension to McCowan to meet the Scarborough line 2 extension.

We may get push for the western connection to Spadina.

Overall great with a lines on a map POV.

I'm calling it now. Sheppard extension to McCowan to meet the Scarborough line 2 extension.

And who is paying for all of this?

As I said. Sheppard limbo. This will be the "plan" and we will get 1/2 of it built by 2035 and the rest will become an LRT vs subway debate in 2045.

Which the external consultant figured would, what, be about 3-4 months early, but then delay the rest of the line even further, and cost a lot of money?

It wasn't Del Duca that nixed that. It was TTC. And who wouldn't? If Del Duca agrees with the decision then I'm not sure what that proves.

Not sure what you mean by 2020 ... you must be thinking Eglinton.

Isn't the opening now set for 2017, were are you getting 2020 from?

Yeah I forgot about that. But isn't York University station one of the furthest behind?

First off the opening is 2019, it was supposed to be open next year. And why do we care about what Vaughan wants? This was about getting the subway to York U originally, remember?

And who is paying for all of this?

As I said. Sheppard limbo. This will be the "plan" and we will get 1/2 of it built by 2035 and the rest will become an LRT vs subway debate in 2045.

Well the SELRT cost 1.2 billion. Find 2.5 billion and we can build.

Last edited:

Back