News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.6K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 594     1 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

Continued funding and commitment to the Sheppard East LRT in 2015 Budget.

The Finch West and Sheppard East LRT projects, which will provide reliable and improved transit service on these busy corridors. The Finch West LRT will run along Finch Avenue between Humber College and Keele Street, and the Sheppard East LRT will run along Sheppard Avenue from Don Mills Station to Morningside Avenue. The procurement process for the Finch West LRT project is expected to begin later in 2015.

See here for full budget transit details: http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/budget/ontariobudgets/2015/ch1b.html#ch1b_3

Sheppard LRT to open "sometime" after 2021:

http://torontoist.com/2015/04/finch-lrt-reannounced-sheppard-lrt-postponed/

Yeah, they've been hard at work restarting progress of the line since its resurrection. :rolleyes:

This region, not just the city, never fails to amaze. The same pattern over and over and over for DECADES with no self awareness. Plans made, plans half-executed, thrown out, undermined.

I know he's too dim to understand the damage he's done but I'd like think deep down inside Rob Ford understands: now Sheppard gets NOTHING. It's like they were offered a perfectly nice outfit from The Gap and he said, "No, we deserve an Armani!" and the province said (after YEARS of wasted time), "Fine, now you don't get an Armani or an outfit from The Gap. You get nothing. Well, maybe in 20 years we'll get back to The Gap. See ya!"

If it was another city it would be funny. If you live here, it's outright pathetic.
On the other hand, the Finch news is good!

Sheppard LRT to open "sometime" after 2021:

http://torontoist.com/2015/04/finch-lrt-reannounced-sheppard-lrt-postponed/

Yeah, they've been hard at work restarting progress of the line since its resurrection. :rolleyes:

Of course. Knew it.

This region, not just the city, never fails to amaze. The same pattern over and over and over for DECADES with no self awareness. Plans made, plans half-executed, thrown out, undermined.

I know he's too dim to understand the damage he's done but I'd like think deep down inside Rob Ford understands: now Sheppard gets NOTHING. It's like they were offered a perfectly nice outfit from The Gap and he said, "No, we deserve an Armani!" and the province said (after YEARS of wasted time), "Fine, now you don't get an Armani or an outfit from The Gap. You get nothing. Well, maybe in 20 years we'll get back to The Gap. See ya!"

If it was another city it would be funny. If you live here, it's outright pathetic.
On the other hand, the Finch news is good!

Exactly. Now they get nothing, or debate over a subway.

At this point, I'm seriously beginning to think a subway might be a better option. Work on the Sheppard LRT line was suspended for about a year, so in theory its delay in opening should have been about a year. Of course, since theory and reality do not go hand in hand in the world of politics and infrastructure construction, perhaps 3 to 5 years would have been a more rational outlook. Still, that would have meant it would be running between 2016-2018, with construction well underway at this point. Instead this 1 year suspension of work is looking to delay its opening by up to 10 years?! It is clear that restarting this line was never much of a priority for this city.

Factor in the growth occurring on the east side of the 404, and the benefits of a more connected network (no stubway transfer at Don Mills, direct line between North York Centre, Stouffville RER/SmartTrack, Danforth subway line and DART services at Scarborough Centre), and it might be worth spending an extra 5 years waiting and saving for the subway option.

And no, I'm not a Rob Ford subway fetishist. I'm saying that we have broken eggs, and rather than continuing to procrastinate on trying to turn them into nice fried ones, we say screw it and just make a kick ass omelette now.

At this point, I'm seriously beginning to think a subway might be a better option.

Same. I've been all for the Sheppard LRT, however, if it keeps being pushed back like this, then a subway extension might as well be built instead. From Sheppard West station to Sheppard East station so it will connect with the Bloor-Danforth line.

If this is true the LRT is effectively dead. I don't see anything getting built. This what the likes of Norm Kelly wanted so they have it. No subway will be built either.

At this point, I'm seriously beginning to think a subway might be a better option.

LRT is being delayed because local politicians (MPPs mostly) strongly prefer the subway option. They don't, however, prefer the subway option enough to actually find it funding.

It's a case of waiting for the perfect, which isn't achievable (we've been waiting for Sheppard subway funding for nearly 20 years now), instead of doing what's good enough.

At this point, I'm seriously beginning to think a subway might be a better option. Work on the Sheppard LRT line was suspended for about a year, so in theory its delay in opening should have been about a year. Of course, since theory and reality do not go hand in hand in the world of politics and infrastructure construction, perhaps 3 to 5 years would have been a more rational outlook. Still, that would have meant it would be running between 2016-2018, with construction well underway at this point. Instead this 1 year suspension of work is looking to delay its opening by up to 10 years?! It is clear that restarting this line was never much of a priority for this city.

No point. By the time it gets built we'll all have jetpacks and/or The Flying Car. But if people are still using rail-based transit in 2050, sure, subway is not a terrible option.

The real joke is that the current often-criticized subway would likely have been perfectly viable in 1995 if it had been built as a subway to completion- even more so (I think) if it bridged the two lines, going all the way to Downsivew. An LRT was a fair compromise given the financial realities and the larger picture of Transit City, but if you had the money, of course you'd want to just "finish" the subway. Honestly, it's just dishonest for the province or anyone else to say this thing is going to get revisited in any serious way circa 2021. Its moment, this whole round of planning that began with Transit City and included The Big Move 1.0, is done, it seems to me.

Same. I've been all for the Sheppard LRT, however, if it keeps being pushed back like this, then a subway extension might as well be built instead. From Sheppard West station to Sheppard East station so it will connect with the Bloor-Danforth line.

Despite this, I'm somewhat conflicted about closing the gap between the Yonge and University line with the subway. In a world with unlimited resources, sure, why not. Especially since it would also connect to the Barrie RER line. However, since this is not the world we live in, it may be better to look at using the Finch LRT to close said gap as it would be more affordable and accomplish pretty much the same goal.

LRT is being delayed because local politicians (MPPs mostly) strongly prefer the subway option. They don't, however, prefer the subway option enough to actually find it funding.

It's a case of waiting for the perfect, which isn't achievable (we've been waiting for Sheppard subway funding for nearly 20 years now), instead of doing what's good enough.

Isn't it more that an orphan LRT truly makes no sense? I can imagine that this delay is in hopes that the Line 2 extension is again cancelled, to be replaced by something that could be integrated with Sheppard transit, be it Smarttrack or some new version of SRT. Or else it's a placeholder until the next election, when something new can be announced.

Regardless, if SELRT is dead then this frees up about $1 billion plus $500 million for Conlins. Correct? All in 2010 commitments, so call it $2 billion or so.

How should that $2 billion now be spent on East side transit improvements? What do people think?

Factor in the growth occurring on the east side of the 404, and the benefits of a more connected network (no stubway transfer at Don Mills, direct line between North York Centre, Stouffville RER/SmartTrack, Danforth subway line and DART services at Scarborough Centre), and it might be worth spending an extra 5 years waiting and saving for the subway option.

And no, I'm not a Rob Ford subway fetishist. I'm saying that we have broken eggs, and rather than continuing to procrastinate on trying to turn them into nice fried ones, we say screw it and just make a kick ass omelette now.

I agree. We lost, just like we lost the SRT. Just announce the funding sources for the subway, (taxes, transit money) whatever it is, and build it already. But let's make something clear: If sheppard is completed to Markham Road or STC, the DRL needs to go to Don Mills and Sheppard and back to Weston and Eglinton. No Pape to St Andrew stub especially if we are loading a ton of people on through a new subway line in the east.

Back