News   Apr 18, 2024
 436     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Does anyone know how to add their Presto card to Apple Pay/Wallet?

You can't but Metrolinx is working with Apple on it now. Given how slowly things move at Metrolinx, I wouldn't even try to guess when it'll be ready but Apple worked with other transit agencies and got it up and running very quickly in those cases.

I rather suspect a lot of nonsense is going on between Metrolinx and whatever contractor on the scope of work for a lot of technically simple projects that weren't included originally and which Accenture and associates now want to charge through the nose to implement.

GTA readers show balance as well. It's the TTC and only the TTC that has decided the AODA means something unreasonable and different from anyone elses reading.
The other cities haven't been sued by lawyers representing the blind as they don't have the headquarters for the CNIB in them is the most likey reason why the TTC wants to interpret the rules as they do.

The other cities haven't been sued by lawyers representing the blind as they don't have the headquarters for the CNIB in them is the most likey reason why the TTC wants to interpret the rules as they do.
I guess if the TTC does get sued, they could use that as an excuse to cut the CNIB pass program and save millions of dollars each year.

It is a North American problem as a whole. People will sue for everything, complain about everything just to get a few bucks.

There was a woman who recently complained that her civil liberties were encroached upon because she wss subjected to a search at Walmart. Apparently she felt the need to file a complaint against Walmart for ensuring that nobody was stealing. Apparently they "demanded" to check her bags to ensure she was not shoplifting.

See here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5355527

The point I am trying to make is that in Toronto the population is larger than any other city in Canada with a more "diverse" population. People will complain that water is too wet if it meant they could make a few bucks.

My father recently retired as a bus driver with the ttc and mentions frequently how you can no longer get away with things that were fine 30 years ago. Now if you say something like "can I see a student ID" people will report the operator for doing his job and claim they are being racist for not asking to see anyone else's ID. As a result operators take a blind eye to fare evasion. It is easier than running the risk of a human rights complaint.

The TTC knows this and they have to think of everything from a legal perspective

New Presto Reader installed at the Viva stop at Finch:

4E28C35B-6C9A-4D92-B30C-B17EE61A11F6.jpeg

Hopefully they’ll be as robust as the existing ones.

RFP-2019-PMUN-124Supply,Delivery,Install,Commissioning-PRESTO Machines,Hosting

This Request for Proposal is to solicit the provision of Supply, Delivery, Installation and Commissioning of PRESTO Single Ride Vending Machines and Hosting Services through an open, fair and competitive process.

The Eglinton Crosstown project will provide a new mid-town Light Rail Transit (LRT) link for the city of Toronto and is scheduled to open in September 2021. PRESTO has a need to procure Single Ride Vending Machine (SRVM) to support the upcoming Eglinton Crosstown LRT line. The line includes 25 stops, of which 10 are at grade and 15 are underground. The line will support a Proof of Payment (POP) system with all sales and validation equipment residing off-board the vehicles. Eglinton Crosstown is scheduled to pilot in June, 2021 and go live to the public in September, 2021.

The requirements for the Supply, Delivery, Installation, and Commissioning of PRESTO Single Ride Vending Machines and Hosting Services more particularly described in Appendix “B” -Scope of Services of this RFP.

The provision of the Services is for five (5) years and with an additional two (2) periods of extension options of two (2) years at Metrolinx’s sole discretion. Metrolinx intends to award the Contract to one Vendor.

We've all stood behind somebody at a TTC presto reader who can't figure out that they need to tap below and not on the LCD screen. They figure it out eventually at a turnstile because the gates won't open but if you spend time on streetcars you'll see people tap the LCD screen and move into the car without actually paying. Some of these people are avoiding paying a far but I think a number of them are accidents. The down arrow on the LCD screen is user experience designers call a Big Fat Button, you just want to touch it. In contrast, the tap area zone below has a busy, fussy design that doesn't encourage taps.
20857-71562.jpg

Photo credit: David Brake
It doesn't have to be this way. Here's an image of a similar tap reader from LA - note how the LCD lacks a big target but the tap zone below has a strong design that encourages taps.
tap-service.jpg

Photo credit: Long Beach Post
LA is not alone. Chicago also has a simple design.
pageheader_ventramv_ready.jpg

Photo credit: CTA
And Vancouver has a good design.
P1040769-339x452.jpg

Photo credit: Vancouver Observer
I believe our Presto tap reader design could be improved by making the text larger on the LCD screen and changing it to read "Tap Below" and the equivalent in French rather than "Tap Card", and making the big green arrow more subtle. A sticker could be placed over the tap zone with a stronger graphical design that encourages taps. Perhaps then streetcar users wouldn't fake tap by accident.

The screen should have been smaller – in the positive counter-examples you've shown, the tap target (the thing you're actually supposed to interact with) is much larger proportionally compared to the screen (the thing you're supposed to just glance at). It's not like the displays on Presto readers display any useful information to customers; they don't have to be that large. But yeah, short of hardware replacement, you're completely right: a software update to replace the graphics with something less button-y would help a lot.

(Unrelatedly, I found it amusing when I was in LA that their fare card is literally just called 'Tap'. Does what it says on the tin!)

The screen should have been smaller – in the positive counter-examples you've shown, the tap target (the thing you're actually supposed to interact with) is much larger proportionally compared to the screen (the thing you're supposed to just glance at). It's not like the displays on Presto readers display any useful information to customers; they don't have to be that large. But yeah, short of hardware replacement, you're completely right: a software update to replace the graphics with something less button-y would help a lot.

(Unrelatedly, I found it amusing when I was in LA that their fare card is literally just called 'Tap'. Does what it says on the tin!)

The problem isn't the screen size, it's the content on it as @mgl expertly pointed out. The arrow is a BIG FAT BUTTON. It's what you want to tap. Luckily, it's a screen and it can be changed to a smaller arrow pointing down without a circle that makes it look like a button and with text saying Tap Below.

But this may all be a moot point because the TTC will be getting new PRESTO readers at some point soon. The next generation PRESTO supports direct payments and these terminals aren't compatible. The new ones are far better designed.

new-presto-prototype-device-dec11-6669-2-1.jpg

The first gen Presto readers were fine, ones that are still on every system outside of TTC (if not a bit small for the actually relevant information displayed)

I was in part of a focus group from Presto before the TTC introduced their version, and these same issues were raised. And they never really listened.

The problem isn't the screen size, it's the content on it as @mgl expertly pointed out. The arrow is a BIG FAT BUTTON. It's what you want to tap. Luckily, it's a screen and it can be changed to a smaller arrow pointing down without a circle that makes it look like a button and with text saying Tap Below.

But this may all be a moot point because the TTC will be getting new PRESTO readers at some point soon. The next generation PRESTO supports direct payments and these terminals aren't compatible. The new ones are far better designed.

new-presto-prototype-device-dec11-6669-2-1.jpg
Maybe not, the current TTC readers already support open payments.

Back