News   Apr 19, 2024
 658     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 634     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I don't tap on at all on the streetcar anymore as I have the Metropass loaded. If anything, I scrutinize other passengers and wonder if they are fumbling around for their pass in their pockets to tap on while holding up the line because they don't understand they don't need to do that with a Metropass. It still looks like 90% of Presto users tap on and I can't believe even half of them don't have a Metropass on their card.
I have a metro pass on my card and always tap. I always look suspectly at the people that don't tap now that get o at the back door of a streetcar in the street and then get off before it gets to a subway station.

If you have a Metropass you don't need to tap on when boarding a streetcar. The TTC can 'expect' whatever they want but over time, probably not a very long time, it's obvious the number of people who will do that will drop down to near zero.

It should be noted that technically you do not receive a validated ticket if you do not tap and you require a validated ticket on the POP network. A metropass purchases a validated ticket for $0 but does not, within Presto's technical system, act as the ticket itself.

I doubt TTC fare inspectors would be anal about it (until tap-out of the subway is required) but if you get someone who's having a bad day and you give them attitude, they might give you a ticket (which you can probably fight in court).

Realistically if you do not tap on a streetcar and get stopped they can nail you for not paying a fare. It is the same as not putting money in when boarding via the rear doors of a CLRV and not having a metropass. Your fare is not validated until your card is tapped.

Just because you have a monthly pass on Presto does not mean you do not have to tap. It is the same as in London UK. If you board a bus there and do not tap the Oyster reader you will be booted off the bus even if you have a valid pass.

I pass the inspections every time. This has happened both at random checks on streetcars and staged locations like coming out of the streetcar loop at Union.

I pass the inspections every time. This has happened both at random checks on streetcars and staged locations like coming out of the streetcar loop at Union.

I take the 501 from Roncesvalles to Humber and back every Wednesday during the noon hour, and I only saw the fare inspection people once at Humber, which was last week, although they were really chill and don't do actual inspections :)

If you have a Metropass you don't need to tap on when boarding a streetcar. The TTC can 'expect' whatever they want but over time, probably not a very long time, it's obvious the number of people who will do that will drop down to near zero.
The TTC website says you ALWAYS have to tap - of course most people don't.

Do I need to tap on a bus in the paid area if I have already tapped into a subway station?
Yes you should tap your PRESTO card every time you board a bus or streetcar and whenever you enter a subway station. As long as you are within two hours from your first tap you won’t be charged another fare.

See: http://ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/PRESTO/FAQ.jsp

I take the 501 from Roncesvalles to Humber and back every Wednesday during the noon hour, and I only saw the fare inspection people once at Humber, which was last week, although they were really chill and don't do actual inspections :)
Right. It's not like I've breezed through dozens of inspections, because, uh, there hardly are any inspections. Probably four or five times in the past three months I've been asked to show my card and the inspectors don't seem to skip a beat or appear act as though anything is unusual that I haven't tapped on.

^ The statements made by the TTC of late have relaxed. I'll find their latest one and post it later. There is no requirement to tap each time, only a request. If it was "required" it would be in the By-Law. It isn't. Only that you carry proof of tapping within the required two hour period. I've been 'inspected' many times when I haven't tapped more than the initial time. It's not a problem, and the fare inspectors know that.

What can be a real fffing annoyance is when you're on the last leg of your trip on a Flexity, and over the two hour limit, and your card is in your back pocket, and brushes up against the Presto reader. They're at exactly the right height when you're right up at the door, and it taps again. Another fare! Ross, when he was still with the TTC, stated a number of times that as long as you were legal when you got on, you are to continue to your destination if you don't have to transfer again, just like paper transfers, so be careful of the machine reaching into your back pocket. It is illegal to swear profusely when it happens...God Da%*)^%%
if you get someone who's having a bad day and you give them attitude, they might give you a ticket (which you can probably fight in court).
Since it's never been a problem for me, and I've been checked well over thirty times but within the initial two hour tap-on, I suspect they've been instructed it's not illegal.

To win their case in court, it would have to be a By-Law offence. There's no mention of it in the By-Law, and they've been schooled on that. In many cases, once you flash the card to them, they don't bother to check. Their time is better spent trying to catch cheats.

Last edited:
Right. It's not like I've breezed through dozens of inspections, because, uh, there hardly are any inspections. Probably four or five times in the past three months I've been asked to show my card and the inspectors don't seem to skip a beat or appear act as though anything is unusual that I haven't tapped on.

It makes it easy for people to sneak on, they need to be out there more so that they can catch people. Although, as Steve said, techinally THEY don't have have to make you tap, must make the fare inspectors lives very easy.

^ "The statements made by the TTC of late have relaxed. I'll find their latest one and post it later. There is no requirement to tap each time, only a request. If it was "required" it would be in the By-Law. It isn't. Only that you carry proof of tapping within the required two hour period. I've been 'inspected' many times when I haven't tapped more than the initial time. It's not a problem, and the fare inspectors know that".

The TTC website says you ALWAYS have to tap - of course most people don't.

Do I need to tap on a bus in the paid area if I have already tapped into a subway station?
Yes you should tap your PRESTO card every time you board a bus or streetcar and whenever you enter a subway station. As long as you are within two hours from your first tap you won’t be charged another fare.

See: http://ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/PRESTO/FAQ.jsp

If that's the case then at least 95% of us don't follow it. At least. Maybe even more, but a good chunk of rush hour commuters hopping on the 504B at Broadview Station for example, don't really care to tap when they transfer from subway, because they had already paid.

That can be a real fffing annoyance is when you're on the last leg of your trip on a Flexity, and over the two hour limit, and your card is in your back pocket, and brushes up against the Presto reader. They're at exactly the right height when you're right up at the door, and it taps again. Another fare!
That's going to get more interesting when they enable it to read debit and credit cards!

^ "The statements made by the TTC of late have relaxed. I'll find their latest one and post it later. There is no requirement to tap each time, only a request. If it was "required" it would be in the By-Law. It isn't. Only that you carry proof of tapping within the required two hour period. I've been 'inspected' many times when I haven't tapped more than the initial time. It's not a problem, and the fare inspectors know that".
What I will add to that is that if you know you're boarding with only minutes left on your two hour window, it's wise to tap, so if you are challenged on the last leg of your trip as whether you got on or not on a valid two hour window, you have the proof from your last tap-on. It can be a real hassle tapping on, tapping off, tapping on, tapping off, bundled up with gloves, winter coats, Big Black Lab on a leash tugging to get past idiots who stand in the doorways and block the Presto machine, etc.

Ffff it. You've paid, you just want to get on in your two hour window, don't hassle me.

That's going to get more interesting when they enable it to read debit and credit cards!
That's why I have an RFID blocking wallet.
Excellent points. I'm retraining myself to carry the card in an upper pocket so it can't brush by the machine. I'm 5'10" or so, long legged, and the back pocket in jeans, which is the perfect spot to be carrying the card anywhere else on the system (bus rear door readers are higher) exactly mates with the readers. In my case this is exacerbated by my concentration on having the Big Black Lab firmly held by his leash with my left hand, and I have to push over to the right to clear him when exiting. Ditto in summer with a bike on the left. The streetcar readers seem to have a higher 'catch sensitivity' too. You don't have to actually press the card against it, just close proximity does it.

But yeah, contactless cards....yikes. Lock up your children!

If that's the case then at least 95% of us don't follow it. At least. Maybe even more, but a good chunk of rush hour commuters hopping on the 504B at Broadview Station for example, don't really care to tap when they transfer from subway, because they had already paid.
I agree that most people do not tap in fare paid areas but the TTC say you should..... Another example of a TTC 'rule' that appears to be totally ignored!

Back