News   Apr 26, 2024
 382     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 330     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 521     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Yeah, I agree. Honestly I'm so tempted to get a child presto just cause of the sound even though it's 100% going to get confiscated and everyone is going to look at me like I'm trying to scam the system.

Just do it on the 505 streetcar. If no one will stop you if you go maskless begging for change in passengers’ faces, lighting a cigarette, smoking a crackpipe, or shotgunning a Colt 45, I’m pretty sure you can get away with tapping a child Presto card once or twice.

The child card sound sounds kinda like the sound the turnstiles make in Disney World.

I wish presto would make limited edition presto cards with different sounds.
I hear three different sounds in the video, one for child, one for adult, what's the other one? A transfer sound?

I hear three different sounds in the video, one for child, one for adult, what's the other one? A transfer sound?
Do you mean the sound of the bus almost falling apart because of the poor road condition paired with shocks that seem to have no cushioning at all, or the two tone tap? The two tone tap is the no payment tap (transfer or pass) I think. That used to be also the sound for the child fare but I guess they realized that wasn't too helpful for catching people avoiding fare payments.

Presumably youth, student, senior ... or the Fair Pass for low-income (though I hope that's just the regular sound for that age group!)

I don't recall hearing the 3-tone beep when my 8-year old tapped on the streetcar the other day (not necessary, but we were playing with the new software).

BTW, here's one benefit to the upgrade.

Now you get an explanation for the red X. Once in a while, the only sound you hear is the rejection. It's always turned out when I can see the data, that it had actually accepted it - and presumably sensed it a second time.

Now you can easily see you've already tapped!
IMG_20210929_1830050.jpg

N

Last edited:
Presumably youth, student, senior ... or the Fair Pass for low-income (though I hope that's just the regular sound for that age group!)

I don't recall hearing the 3-tone beep when my 8-year old tapped on the streetcar the other day (not necessary, but we were playing with the new software).

BTW, here's one benefit to the upgrade.

Now you get an explanation for the red X. Once in a while, the only sound you hear is the rejection. It's always turned out when I can see the data, that it had actually accepted it - and presumably sensed it a second time.

Now you can easily see you've already tapped!
View attachment 353811
N
As a Fair Pass user (as I am an ODSP client), it uses the two-tone beep (same with youth, post-secondary students, and seniors).

Regular users use the one-tone beep.

As a Fair Pass user (as I am an ODSP client), it uses the two-tone beep (same with youth, post-secondary students, and seniors).

Regular users use the one-tone beep.
I just saw on twitter from the TTC that they changed it to be the same as the regular one because people complained that they felt like they were being segregated because of not paying the full amount.

It's insane how useful this extremely minor upgrade has been. Honestly, being able to see my balance/know my transfer worked/know why my tap was rejected is sooo helpful.

Mindblowing how long it takes to rollout such tiny upgrades like this!
They probably wanted to make sure that all legal implications were taken care of just incase they got suied over it because the blind or visually impaired can't use it in the same way as everyone else.

I just saw on twitter from the TTC that they changed it to be the same as the regular one because people complained that they felt like they were being segregated because of not paying the full amount.
As a senior, I would prefer to get a different sound when I use it. Hopefully, there will be a siren when someone uses it, after I report it stolen and replaced.

Dumb question folks,

If I get a Presto Card for my grandmother at the subway station, can she program it for a senior fare? I went to get one yesterday and the machine stated it sold adult cards only.

You have to go to a customer service agent at GO station or Shoppers Drug Mart to program cards as seniors or students. Obviously this is due to human checks requiring ID.
I'd go the GO station - at Union if it's convenient. I've gotten a couple of kids cards there, and a senior's, and they've never wanted ID. They do want to know the birthday though (I gave them my mother's ... but I keep the Senior's around for guests - not that there have been any of those of that age recently ... though ID wouldn't hurt.

I'd also give it a day or two, and make sure it's working. At the GO station you can tap on, and then reverse it, to test it.

I'd go the GO station - at Union if it's convenient. I've gotten a couple of kids cards there, and a senior's, and they've never wanted ID. They do want to know the birthday though (I gave them my mother's ... but I keep the Senior's around for guests - not that there have been any of those of that age recently ... though ID wouldn't hurt.

I'd also give it a day or two, and make sure it's working. At the GO station you can tap on, and then reverse it, to test it.

She lives in Pickering and has health issues that make driving impossible at times.

Getting to Union is impossible.

Back