435     0 
News   Feb 07, 2023
 817     4 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I finally got my grandmothers Presto Card but now it is asking me to complete the registration by tapping it on a Presto Device.

What would be considered a Presto Device that doesn't involve the card being charged?

I used to use the yellow balance checkers but they aren't really an option anymore.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I finally got my grandmothers Presto Card but now it is asking me to complete the registration by tapping it on a Presto Device.

What would be considered a Presto Device that doesn't involve the card being charged?

I used to use the yellow balance checkers but they aren't really an option anymore.
You can query the card on a refill machine without actually doing any other functions. That may be your best bet.

Dan

11th

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Press Mode button three times, then tap and hold card on the reader.

(And I just noticed they have finally updated their decade old website)

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I've started doing that a couple of times a month to keep my spare presto card registered
I have never heard (or seen evidence) of Presto cards becoming un-registered. I have a couple of spare cards for visitors (sadly, unused for 18 months). I just checked and though unused for 18+ months both remain registered.

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have never heard (or seen evidence) of Presto cards becoming un-registered. I have a couple of spare cards for visitors (sadly, unused for 18 months). I just checked and though unused for 18+ months both remain registered.

I think it's an Oyster Card mentality. Oyster Cards from London deactivate after an extended period of inactivity.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Last edited:

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I think it's an Oyster Card mentality. Oyster Cards from London deactivate after an extended period of inactivity.
Do they? Did they change that?

When I was there in 2017, my card from 2006 worked fine (even surviving the 'how on earth do you still have that' glare from my wife).