News   Apr 19, 2024
 430     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 585     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 981     3 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

So I wouldn't be surprised if Accenture bribed the Libs in giving them that contract. The Libs has the worst management and wouldn't know who to hand contracts to. They should just stop spending money on it and replace the damn thing within a decade.
Yes, things are SOOOOO much better now!

Last edited:
So I wouldn't be surprised if Accenture bribed the Libs in giving them that contract. The Libs has the worst management and wouldn't know who to hand contracts to. They should just stop spending money on it and replace the damn thing within a decade.

Instead the city wants to ask Dash Domi to lease computer equipment again! :D

I have first hand knowledge going back to 2007 and it was another fail attempt to sell transit stuff to the world. The back end is the problem as well the cost to make changes to meet the end users needs. It cost the end users big bucks for every change they want to be done as well a yearly cost that is now higher than the old fare collection system for some end user.

Accenture had very little experience for this system back in 2007 and it continue today as well. Trying to do things cheap and with untested products doesn't help.

I'd like to know the logic behind this.

It's cheaper to have an exclusive retailer than to pay commissions to anyone who's interested, like the TTC used to do. Shoppers takes a much smaller margin because being the only stop for Presto helps to increase sales of other products. Metrolinx gets to keep an extra 1% or 2% of their revenue.

There's like a shoppers on every corner. This is being overblown.
There's no where near one on every corner. The map of locations is much sparser than it used to be, and this is clear in the figures TTC provided

They probably don't need full-blown vendors that can do everything all over the place. But they need more places to buy tickets and preloaded cards.

There's like a shoppers on every corner. This is being overblown.

In downtown, sure. In some parts of the city there isn't one for 2 km in all direction. (A few examples: Wexford, Jane & Sheppard, some parts of Scarborough north of the 401, Eglinton between Black Creek Drive and Kipling)

Yes, it's being overblown, but it is still a real issue for a small-but-not-trivial number of TTC users.

Yes, it's being overblown, but it is still a real issue for a small-but-not-trivial number of TTC users.
The issue might be overblown, as you don't need as many full-service vendors, who can set discounts, etc., as you did with the old ticket vendor system.

But you need something else to vend tickets, etc. Machines might suffice.

A stupid question: does OC Transpo accept Toronto Presto cards? Don't want to get stranded.

Back