News   Apr 25, 2024
 19     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 314     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 632     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Interesting tidbits:

Presto now handles 81% of TTC fare payments.

Killing the Weekly Max feature:

Killing the Daily Max feature:

Still not reliable enough:

Lots of work left, mostly targeting Q3 2019:

Credit card payments always in the future:

The excuse given for killing the weekly max is stupid. Bigger, more complex systems like TFL in London have daily and by extension weekly caps. They are not calling them a financial burden.

The excuse given for killing the weekly max is stupid. Bigger, more complex systems like TFL in London have daily and by extension weekly caps. They are not calling them a financial burden.
My very first thought when reading it. Oyster Card is a generation ahead of Presto. Many systems are.
Fare capping & using Contactless cards on buses
Zones Travelled InOyster Daily Price Cap1 Day Travelcard
Oyster & Contactless Payment Card Price Caps 2019 - Compared to Travelcard Prices
Zone 1-3£8.20n/a
Zone 1-4£10.10£13.10
Zone 1-5£12.00£18.60
4 more rows
Contactless Cards & Apple Pay On London's Public Transport

https://www.londontoolkit.com/briefing/contactless_cards.html

The excuse given for killing the weekly max is stupid.
Looks like they are just looking for excuses. Back when they said we'd no longer get the daily rate capping, it was because they said you couldn't do both daily and weekly.

Now it's back to you can do both, but we aren't doing daily, because almost no one will use it. And we won't do weekly because too many people will use it.

This impediment is huge:
2. Flexible fare rules, products and policy are constrained due to PRESTO
technology
The Business Requirements specified a system largely based on parameters that could
be changed to support flexible and dynamic fare policies and fare products, without
requiring a large software update. The lack of flexibility around pricing and pass options
for PRESTO Tickets, multiple loyalties, time of day based fare products are all
examples of undelivered functionality.
 Multiple loyalty options would enable customers to get the best possible price
without having to pre-plan
 Time of day products and pricing could positively impact ridership growth, lessen
crowding, and encourage travel patterns to shift
 Rolling passes (e.g. 24-hr or 3-day PRESTO Tickets) would provide more
flexibility and choice for customers
o We have submitted a change notice to PRESTO to allow for the day pass to
be valid for 24 hours from the time of first tap instead of the expiry at 2:59am
Il Duce (Del Duca ) had best have made Presto run on time while this was his file.
DEL DUCA: Slashing off-peak fares way to help transit woes now ...

The bus has already left on that one, Del Boy...

Looks like they are just looking for excuses. Back when they said we'd no longer get the daily rate capping, it was because they said you couldn't do both daily and weekly.

Now it's back to you can do both, but we aren't doing daily, because almost no one will use it. And we won't do weekly because too many people will use it.
Got to thank Ford for that one. Cut funding and ignores all the effects. What's next, legislate a bill to fire all unions and force everyone to take a 10% pay cut?

Daily capping will help those that makes a trip at 7am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm, 8pm and 11pm on the same day. They might only do a 15 minute trip each time. I understand they have actual data now (hooray finally) and they know exactly how their revenue will change. Now how about data on actual ridership on every route now?

Time to scrap the Presto System as its been a failure since day one and costly to all systems using it. Never supported it from day one since Burlington had a better system before GO moved to their outdated system that became the Presto system. How may systems in Ontario refused to go the Presto route and go a different route at less cost???

Based on my travels and using other system in NA and Europe, there are better systems out there that will do more for less money.

The 3 systems we rode while away had the ability of buying one trip ticket, 24 hour pass that starts from the time you first use the card or tell the end of the day as well 1-7 day pass along with weekly and monthly pass from fare machines on the street using cash, debit or credit card. One system allows you to go to any gas station and buy your fare media there as well other locations.

A number of the system had the tap on machine on the platform or the vehicles.

Rarely I get on a TTC vehicle where all readers are working, as well the fare machines.. It also applies to other systems using Presto. Have got a fair number of free rides this year thanks to Presto not working when I board a vehicle at the start of my trip.

TTC blames province as full transition to Presto cards delayed indefinitely

^ There's still some posters swearing that all the Presto glitches are fixed and the problem is with the users. It looks good on them that the TTC disagrees.

Time to scrap the Presto System as its been a failure since day one and costly to all systems using it. Never supported it from day one since Burlington had a better system before GO moved to their outdated system that became the Presto system. How may systems in Ontario refused to go the Presto route and go a different route at less cost???

Based on my travels and using other system in NA and Europe, there are better systems out there that will do more for less money.

The 3 systems we rode while away had the ability of buying one trip ticket, 24 hour pass that starts from the time you first use the card or tell the end of the day as well 1-7 day pass along with weekly and monthly pass from fare machines on the street using cash, debit or credit card. One system allows you to go to any gas station and buy your fare media there as well other locations.

A number of the system had the tap on machine on the platform or the vehicles.

Rarely I get on a TTC vehicle where all readers are working, as well the fare machines.. It also applies to other systems using Presto. Have got a fair number of free rides this year thanks to Presto not working when I board a vehicle at the start of my trip.

TTC blames province as full transition to Presto cards delayed indefinitely
keep in mind when you ride on a system that has had it for years they most likely had the same problems as presto did when it first started rolling out and still does. I highly doubt there is any system in the world that will be 100% perfect out of the box and be able to be used by multiple transit companies and work right away without any problems at all.

Ah yes. The folks who gave us hits like "showing card balances is illegal without an audible option" are the infallible authority on this.
If you're attempting to refer to me, I stated nothing like that.

What I am on record as stating is that some are presuming that the fare machines will also be used to show fare balance. The cost of stand-alone balance readers is so low it would be insane to do it any other way, not to mention keeping the balance readers away from the entrance/exit doors. Just as GO have the yellow machines in their stations for reading the balance.

Last edited:
Ah yes. The folks who gave us hits like "showing card balances is illegal without an audible option" are the infallible authority on this.
It's not that it's Ilegal its that the TCC legal department believes that they would have to have an audio announcement for the blind just as they do for the stop announcements.

There is still confusion over the UPX and GO Transit PRESTO machines double charging when customers use the wrong machines entering and exiting.
Every time I'm on the Bloor platforms, or in the tunnels, there's someone completely befuddled by what to do. And now they've painted the UPX machines blue, like that clears up all the confusion.

Classic example of how not to do things.

Back