News   Apr 26, 2024
 505     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 379     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 576     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

It is nifty - you can load your card directly by holding your card next to the phone after paying for the funds. No more waiting for the card to update. Its pretty much obsoleted the website for a ton of people.
My understanding is the app is read-only, and that when you do that, it's effectively the same thing as loading on the website. Has there been a change, or is my understanding wrong?

My understanding is the app is read-only, and that when you do that, it's effectively the same thing as loading on the website. Has there been a change, or is my understanding wrong?

He/she just said why it’s different than the website. When loading on the website it takes up to 24 hours for the funds to be ready for use, whereas using the app the funds are ready immediately.

He/she just said why it’s different than the website. When loading on the website it takes up to 24 hours for the funds to be ready for use, whereas using the app the funds are ready immediately.
Everything I've seen Metrolinx and Presto say, and write, about that app, is that it doesn't write to the cards, only read.

So I'm really scratching my head about how this works. And I use the app myself on an Android. Though with autoload set up, I have no need of this function. It's tempting to test it and throw $20 to my card though and see what happens - as it will just delay my next Autoload.

I'm wondering if this is a misunderstanding. Further back in the thread, people here saying that cards such as Oyster and Opus can do with loading, which were clearly contradicted by what their official websites said - and it turned out to be a misunderstanding.

Or perhaps Metrolinx has suddenly backtracked on the card capabilities, and activated something new. Though I'd think the risk of fraud would be of concern.

Is anyone aware of ANY similar transit cards that have such a function? The closest I can think of is Opus - but have you to buy the card-writer directly from Opus, and it's only used to write to Opus cards. It certainly doesn't work with mobile apps.

Perhaps someone who has successfully done this, can show some screen shots of the balance history, to see how the timings work.

Edit. Reading further down the Twitter thread where Presto announced this, Presto clarifies that "Normally you need to tap your PRESTO card up to 24 hours after doing the load in order for the funds to reflect in the balance". Why are you saying it's immediate if Presto is saying up to 24 hours?

Edit 2. Oh, here's another Tweet about it - Presto just said you have to tap on a device to receive you funds (just tweeted after I started replying here!)
1548730801329.png

Last edited:
I've been using the app for a while now and it definitely writes to the card. I did a load while I was on the bus the other day, and when I transferred, the amount was on my card:

Screenshot_20190128-215609.jpg

I've been using the app for a while now and it definitely writes to the card. I did a load while I was on the bus the other day, and when I transferred, the amount was on my card:
Now that's interesting. So you tapped on a bus at 2:42 pm. Loaded it on you app while on the bus between 2:42 pm and 3:07 pm. And then transferred at 3:07 pm?

Now that's the app. What does the website say? And when did the value change on the website?

Is this the Android or Apple version?

This is most curious - if the app can write ... why is PrestoCard saying you still have to tap on a device and "up to 24 hours".

Android. I wanted to post a screenshot from the website but it's not pulling up my transactions right now. But my balance was updated on the Presto reader when I tapped on the second Miway bus at 3:07pm, so it obviously writes to the card.

EDIT: Website is working now.

presto.PNG

You definitely can add funds to the prestocard immediately, if you are using android phone, I was able to it with my old lg g5, if you are an iPhone X, you have to wait a few hours to 24 to tap on a reader for your card to updated to the current amount

You definitely can add funds to the prestocard immediately, if you are using android phone, I was able to it with my old lg g5, if you are an iPhone X, you have to wait a few hours to 24 to tap on a reader for your card to updated to the current amount
I'm confused. If you have to wait a few hours to tap on a reader for your card to be updated, how is it immediate?

... my balance was updated on the Presto reader when I tapped on the second Miway bus at 3:07pm, so it obviously writes to the card.
Or the MiWay bus just happened to get refreshed information just before you tapped. Though that seems unlikely, and I didn't think MiWay (unlike TTC) had that kind of mid-route capability yet.

I wonder if Presto knows that this is working ... their tweets seem confusing.

It really depends on the phone you are using, android via nfc immediately, iPhone about 24 hours
Thanks! I'm so cynical, I'm wondering if they've made a programming error with the Android version. I'd think it would leave a security hole ... though perhaps they've decided they can mitigate that somehow ...

Well, well, well. This could be game-changing. Someone should tell Presto! :)

Back