News   Apr 26, 2024
 237     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 474     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.4K     4 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Gosh, why wouldn't you? I have 6 currently. One for each member of the 4-person family (two small children). A spare. And a senior's card for when the grandparents are around. The spare get's used often enough ... it's only the Senior's one that sees not much usage.
I didn't think that was posable I always interpreted it as being one card per email address, otherwise I would have added my parents cards to my account as they can't remember what the password they used for them are, truth be told I wouldn't remember mine if google didn't have it saved for me.

Is it 3 hours from first tap on to second tap on? Or does the second tap off, assuming no default trip, need to be within 3 hours of first tap on?
With no default trip, the first tap is onto the train. Second tap is off the train (typically at Exhibition). Third tap is back onto the game, and 4th tap is back off.

It's the third tap that needs to be within 3 hours. I've done it at about 2 hour 58 minutes and on another occasion at 3 hours 1 minute. Even though it was half-an-hour before I tapped off (and I'd tapped on earlier than necessary to make sure I was within the 3-hour window), I paid 32¢ to return back to GO zone 6 (Union and Exhibition are in Zone 2) instead of the $5.02 I'd paid to get there. Making the average cost $2.67. Though typically I have a TTC Metropass with me, so my connecting TTC ride (which saves me the 15-minute walk to the GO Station) is free.

Hmm, with the new $1.50 discount TTC discount, and the proposed $3 GO Fare (assuming Drug Ford isn't elected) would, if it's scalable, make the return trip only 19¢; the average only $1.60, and if you can get the $1.50 both ways, it would be only 10¢ in addition to the TTC fare. The programming on this is going to be interesting.

There's a new presentation about the Presto App for the next Metrolinx Meeting

I'd say this is the most interesting slide. It's really dumb that the middle picture says '(Android)', but has a picture of an iPhone:
Mobile Roadmap.png

Attachments

• Mobile Roadmap.png
    Mobile Roadmap.png
    311.7 KB · Views: 652
At least they are in the right direction. Do they mentione timeline?
No it doesn't. It's unfortunate that tapping on readers (and your card to update card's balance) is only on Android, but I don't blame Presto or Metrolinx as this is Apple's restrictions on what NFC on iPhone can do.

No it doesn't. It's unfortunate that tapping on readers (and your card to update card's balance) is only on Android, but I don't blame Presto or Metrolinx as this is Apple's restrictions on what NFC on iPhone can do.
I have a n Android phone so it is ok.

... It says Android only for virtual cards however isnt that a iPhone in the picture tapping to a reader ?

It's hard to tell from the picture as there are android phones that look like that too
If we wanted to get really technical, the phone in the centre image is actually an iPhone but the image of the phone is mirrored. There should be 2 volume buttons on the left, but there's only 1 button, which is the power button, and the camera should be on the left, but it's on the right. On the other hand, the iPhone X in the left image is proper, so I don't know who created this visual, but it's quite "unprofessional" (it might be more than 1 person). Also, the black Presto reader is quite a rough drawing.

It's also interesting how you can only top up with Applepay but only tap with Android phones .Lol, that means you can't do both with one phone

It's also interesting how you can only top up with Applepay but only tap with Android phones .Lol, that means you can't do both with one phone

Apple Pay OR Stored Card.

On the first slide they photoshopped a PRESTO card onto the apple pay interface, so they’re probably planning on creating a virtual card with Apple anyways. Apple Pay already supports transit cards in Japan and China so I’m hoping that they bring virtual transit cards here. Knowing Metrolinx though I’m not expecting anything major.

If we wanted to get really technical, the phone in the centre image is actually an iPhone but the image of the phone is mirrored. There should be 2 volume buttons on the left, but there's only 1 button, which is the power button, and the camera should be on the left, but it's on the right. On the other hand, the iPhone X in the left image is proper, so I don't know who created this visual, but it's quite "unprofessional" (it might be more than 1 person). Also, the black Presto reader is quite a rough drawing.
It actually looks like my current Samsung phone. It has a button on the bottom of it and the power is on the right with the volume on the left As I said it's hard to tell what phonee they are using in the graphics; they could just be a sort of generic look of any smart phone.

Mod edit to fix typos to make the message legible.

Last edited by a moderator:

There are no such restrictions on the iPhone. The iPhone supports transit farecards virtually identical in functionality to Presto, such as the Suica card (Japan) - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207154

No idea why Metrolinx decided to shun the iPhone for this. Maybe received a payout from Google.

Back