News   Jul 08, 2024
 390     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 634     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

They are fare paid zones becuse they don't want to have people hanging around the sations that aren't baording a train.
But you can't see someone off? or wait for someone on the platform? Or use the platform as a shortcut if you are walking somewhere? It's not like there isn't a reason you could want to be on a platform without getting on a train.

But you can't see someone off? or wait for someone on the platform? Or use the platform as a shortcut if you are walking somewhere? It's not like there isn't a reason you could want to be on a platform without getting on a train.
How is Metrolinx and Go transit supposed to know the difference between who is boarding a train and who isn't? Don't forget the stations are private property and using them for anything other than the intended use of them boarding a train could result in you being asked to leave and or trespassed.

Letter in Star today ( https://www.thestar.com/opinion/let...esto-policy-is-frustrating-for-customers.html ) It seems odd that Metrolinx would not allow someone to have several cards but only one e-mail address. ("I began receiving notices that, as of April 23, you could no longer have more than one Presto account associated with an email address.) Is this true?

Answer": Yes it is. From PRESTO News page about the late April 'upgrade".

"This upgrade will add new security features to the PRESTO website, including additional security questions and email verification, so you can log into your My PRESTO Account with your email address.

The email verification feature means you will need a unique email address for each My PRESTO Account. If you have more than one account using the same email address, please update your account information so that each My PRESTO Account is associated with a unique email address. You can change the email address at any time, by logging into your account and clicking the Account Profile link on the left hand side of the screen." From: https://www.prestocard.ca/en/about/Notifications

Letter in Star today ( https://www.thestar.com/opinion/let...esto-policy-is-frustrating-for-customers.html ) It seems odd that Metrolinx would not allow someone to have several cards but only one e-mail address. ("I began receiving notices that, as of April 23, you could no longer have more than one Presto account associated with an email address.) Is this true?
The article refers to it as "Presto accounts" and not Presto Cards. So I'm not sure if what is being referenced is being able to have multiple Presto Accounts with one card each with different usernames, but are linked to the same email address. I have 1 email address, with 1 Presto account, with 3 Presto cards. I don't know if my situation will be "terminated".

Why would you have more then one card registerd to an acount?

I have two because I save a lot of money that way. The new $1.50 TTC co-fare with GO has the side effect of closing your GO transfer window.

When I go from Aurora to Union, I pay $8.26. If I tap for my return trip within 3 hours of my initial tap, I pay only $3.56 for the return trip, saving $4.70. If I take the TTC at some point during those 3 hours, I pay $1.50 for the TTC, but then I pay $8.26 for the return trip, so my total cost is $18.02. If I use a secondary presto card for the TTC trip so that my GO transfer window doesn't close, I pay $14.82 in total, saving $3.20 vs if I used one presto card for everything. This can add up over time as I sometimes make these short trips.

I have two because I save a lot of money that way. The new $1.50 TTC co-fare with GO has the side effect of closing your GO transfer window.

When I go from Aurora to Union, I pay $8.26. If I tap for my return trip within 3 hours of my initial tap, I pay only $3.56 for the return trip, saving $4.70. If I take the TTC at some point during those 3 hours, I pay $1.50 for the TTC, but then I pay $8.26 for the return trip, so my total cost is $18.02. If I use a secondary presto card for the TTC trip so that my GO transfer window doesn't close, I pay $14.82 in total, saving $3.20 vs if I used one presto card for everything. This can add up over time as I sometimes make these short trips.
See how these fare rules drive your behaviours...

Just curious, but what do you do downtown for only 2 hours?

Times I've personally returned before the transfer window closes: job interview, doctor appointment, client meeting

Before Kitchener had midday trains several years ago, I had travel down to UofT to drop off some papers.
I took the last morning train in, dropped off the papers and then headed all the way up to York to back to Brampton.
It gave me the Go discount price even though I tapped off Go at Union.

There is one restaurant near Downsview Park and one near Union that I go to often. Also, sometimes I need to buy something from the eaton centre or a specialty store somewhere in the downtown core. These days sometimes I visit Yorkdale via Downsview Park rather than driving there. I have had a couple of brief appointments with people downtown and in the Downsview Park area, even as far as Sheppard-Yonge/North York Centre. At downsview park it's better as the train ride from Aurora is pretty consistently 30 minutes, whereas to/from downtown it's about 50-55 minutes and there are frequent freight train delays at Davenport that push it to 1h-1h10min much more often than not.

For some of the Union-area trips I don't even take the TTC so it's a moot point re: having 2 cards, but sometimes I do and the downsview park ones always involve a TTC connection.

Why would you have more then one card registerd to an acount?
Gosh, why wouldn't you? I have 6 currently. One for each member of the 4-person family (two small children). A spare. And a senior's card for when the grandparents are around. The spare get's used often enough ... it's only the Senior's one that sees not much usage.

But the article is about accounts, not cards. I'm not sure why one would want separate accounts, for the same email address. But if you really do - gosh, just create another gmail address - what's the big deal?

The new $1.50 TTC co-fare with GO has the side effect of closing your GO transfer window.
Oh, that has interesting implications.

Another reason to need two cards currently, is to use the downtown express. Either you pay 2 cash fares, 2 tokens, or use 2 different Presto cards to pay - or some combination.

GO is 3 hours. Sometimes I've simply forgotten something at work - I kick myself, but usually wait until midnight or so, and just drive in quickly. A soccer game is normally 90 minutes plus a 15-minute break and injury time. If I go straight to the game and back again, I have no problem paying nothing to ride GO home, and see the opening and closing whistles. Rugby League games (which are at Lamport, right beside Exhibition GO) are only 80 minutes long plus a 10-minute break at the half, and some injury time.

Gosh, why wouldn't you? I have 6 currently. One for each member of the 4-person family (two small children). A spare. And a senior's card for when the grandparents are around. The spare get's used often enough ... it's only the Senior's one that sees not much usage.

But the article is about accounts, not cards. I'm not sure why one would want separate accounts, for the same email address. But if you really do - gosh, just create another gmail address - what's the big deal?

Oh, that has interesting implications.

Another reason to need two cards currently, is to use the downtown express. Either you pay 2 cash fares, 2 tokens, or use 2 different Presto cards to pay - or some combination.

GO is 3 hours. Sometimes I've simply forgotten something at work - I kick myself, but usually wait until midnight or so, and just drive in quickly. A soccer game is normally 90 minutes plus a 15-minute break and injury time. If I go straight to the game and back again, I have no problem paying nothing to ride GO home, and see the opening and closing whistles. Rugby League games (which are at Lamport, right beside Exhibition GO) are only 80 minutes long plus a 10-minute break at the half, and some injury time.
Is it 3 hours from first tap on to second tap on? Or does the second tap off, assuming no default trip, need to be within 3 hours of first tap on?

Back