News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.1K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 775     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 757     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

My bank is reliable in other matters, but in this matter all they say is that the transaction went through and there is nothing they can do from their end. The fault is Presto's and they've been giving me the runaround; every rep I've talked to has a different story to tell me.
When the TTC goes with nothing but Presto as a payment system they will be going with an unreliable system. I live in East York and am self-employed, I can get by without the TTC.

You may not like the fact that I'm angry about getting ripped off and I'm talking about alternative transportation arrangements but that's your problem, sweetie. And don't you ever accuse me or anyone else on this forum of being a liar.

Go to the provincial ombudsperson would be the best route.

AoD

My bank is reliable in other matters, but in this matter all they say is that the transaction went through and there is nothing they can do from their end. The fault is Presto's and they've been giving me the runaround; every rep I've talked to has a different story to tell me.
When the TTC goes with nothing but Presto as a payment system they will be going with an unreliable system. I live in East York and am self-employed, I can get by without the TTC.

You may not like the fact that I'm angry about getting ripped off and I'm talking about alternative transportation arrangements but that's your problem, sweetie. And don't you ever accuse me or anyone else on this forum of being a liar.

I'm just pointing out three things:

1. The fact that "the transaction went through" is meaningless. Every problem with a charge is a transaction that "went through" (you wouldn't get charged if it didn't). Banks have entire departments to sort these things out.

2. I've been using Presto for six years, I know a lot of people who use Presto, and neither me nor any of them have ever been double-charged. The stories of people being charged incorrectly on their payment card or their Presto card that get posted on forums like this one always end with calling Presto and getting a refund for the issue. Their customer service people are really good.

3. Not every story on the internet is real.

And please don't pretend that you've never lost a TTC token or had one swallowed in an automatic entrance. That system isn't any more reliable than Presto. It's just the "unreliable" (i.e. not flawless) system that you're used to. People will get used to Presto's flaws, just like everyone else who takes public transit anywhere in the world gets used to their system's flaws.

And please don't pretend that you've never lost a TTC token or had one swallowed in an automatic entrance. That system isn't any more reliable than Presto. It's just the "unreliable" (i.e. not flawless) system that you're used to. People will get used to Presto's flaws, just like everyone else who takes public transit anywhere in the world gets used to their system's flaws.

The difference being that when you lose a token to a malfunctioning gate you're out $3.50. When that happens trying to load money on to a Presto card you're out a lot more than that.

I know a lot of people who use Presto, and neither me nor any of them have ever been double-charged.
It's possible to get double charged at Union station if you tap on a Presto reader in the Bay West Teamway, then tap again in the York Concourse (e.g. because you missed your train, decided to walk to the York Concourse, then tap again forgetting you already tapped).

Also, it's possible to get double charged on TTC if one of their "transfer rules" fails. Like "oops, I overshot my station, I'll catch a vehicle here instead" situation that might slip through their transfer rules.

Ideally I'd like to see TTC Presto reader screens display the exact charge deducted. And 2-hour timed transfers to be deployed ASAP.

When that happens I'll ride my bike and by the middle of summer 2018 I'll have enough money for a second-hand car. Also, I can use cabs. I realize that Presto was more or less forced on the TTC but if Presto is my only payment option then I can get by without the TTC.
Go to the GO wickets at Union Station's York Concourse within 24 hours of the bad charges.

I've found them nearly 100% reliable in refunding me of Presto errors (once every few months for me), as long as I act promptly. Being manned by the same people who run Presto, gives them more liberty to do Presto fixes. For TTC, give them more time -- some of their Presto processes are a work in progress.

2-hour timed transfers will be a big improvement. I hope it happens sooner.

Take one last run past a balance check station, then it's time for a charge-back. Let Presto prove you got funds onto your Presto card.

Ideally I'd like to see TTC Presto reader screens display the exact charge deducted. And 2-hour timed transfers to be deployed ASAP.
I don’t know about anyone else, but I would be fine with the TTC Presto readers displaying the amount charged and the transfer time remaining as well as reading it out loud.

At least it’s not the balance of the card, which I still feel is dumb that the information has to be accessible. Is the TTC just that strict on accessibility standards, while GO and 905 agencies don’t care or get pointed out as much?

Is the TTC just that strict on accessibility standards, while GO and 905 agencies don’t care or get pointed out as much?

I think it's a bit of everything. The TTC is a lot more directly accountable to elected officials, who in turn have a lot more sway over the agency. So as a result they get more complaints, and they go out of their way to avoid those complaints by having really strict rules (like the TTC's extreme interpretation of Presto and accessibility laws).

If it's less likely to be criticized (i.e. GO, OC Transpo and the 905 transit agencies) the transit agency isn't going to care as much.

I was not able to tap on despite having a 1 dollar balance .... has this rule changed ? I ended up taking a uber.

I’m actually looking forward to the TTC implementing 2 hour transfers ONLY on Presto, so there is actually a benefit to switch to Presto (if there aren’t any already).
Not sure how one lives in Toronto without occasionally using GO, MiWay, BiWay, or Viva. Lots of benefits there.

And even in Toronto, I'm sure I've lost enough tokens over the years - too tiny. (though I got one in my change as a dime once, somewhere in 519).

And then there's the free riders when they make mistakes, when you tap back in for another trip in less than 2 hours. At any of the stations with the temporary tap locations (St. George, and St. Andrew for example), this seems to happen every retap in.

I did wait 24 hours and I did tap on after adding the funds. My card is registered.
You tapped on 24 hours after adding the funds?

The idea of having a card that I can add funds to online and in the amount that I want is a great idea, but I don't like having money stolen from me. Presto has been no help, my bank has been no help. I won't use a payment system that is unreliable.
I've been using now for almost 7 years. And I've had autoload set up for over 6. Never had any load or missing money issues.

And I've had no technical issues for years. One or two early teething problems, and GO had to reset the card (after some impossible double-tap in a couple of seconds on GO - but it was early days).

Of course, there's been TTC transfer issues. But they refund quickly and painlessly. Though I learned fairly early that I was getting more free trips than being charged for a transfer - and over time, I've had less and less charges for transfers - and more free trips with all the temporary machines in place at subway stations downtown. So I don't bother getting refunds any more.

Hmm odd, just checked the site for some taps 11 hours ago, to see if I got another free ride at St. George - but no new data for today yet. I wonder if this is related to their current card problem ...

Last edited:
Odd, as far as I know it's supposed to let you ride under those circumstances. You could contact the TTC and/or Presto--or it could just have been a glitch.
Interestingly, the FAQ doesn't say registered. What it says is:

Only cards linked with a My PRESTO Account can drop into negative balance to pay any single fare.

Once your card goes into a negative balance, you will need to load money in order to use it for further travel.
What do you see online? Is there any entry when you tried to tap?

Back