News   Jul 16, 2024
 664     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 592     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 734     2 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Which is not Wi-Fi. The systems the TTC use can be piggybacked on the same carrier as Wi-Fi, but they are very different protocols.

We get it. It's not technically wi-fi. It doesn't matter - we're just trying to explain things in a way that the average person reading comments can understand. Being 100% super-duper accurate doesn't matter if people can't understand what you're saying.

Presto readers on buses synchronize using a wireless network that's set up in bus garages and at some major bus stations. It's the same sort of technology that a cell phone uses when it synchronizes with a computer over wi-fi. No, it's not technically the exact same thing, but it's very, very similar. Happy now?

Presto readers on buses synchronize using a wireless network that's set up in bus garages and at some major bus stations. It's the same sort of technology that a cell phone uses when it synchronizes with a computer over wi-fi.
I have some sympathy, as I'm sure Apple have a different key for it...

The Wi-Fi industry themselves have promoted the mis-use of terms, and are now trying to correct some of them:
10 Wi-Fi Terms You've Probably Been Using Incorrectly
April 2, 2014
http://www.revolutionwifi.net/revolutionwifi/2014/04/10-wi-fi-terms-youve-probably-been.html

Last edited:
I don't want to extend this line of discussion any longer than it has to be, but I think laying everything out in one post might be beneficial. This all comes from the TTC network design document, and the TTC-Presto Master Agreement.

I'm seeing the term "wi-fi" misused a lot of late. It is for only a couple of specific bands and protocol, and it's nowhere near what GO is using for data transmission.

GO frequencies are here:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4579

Maybe I'm too new here to know your history, steveintoronto, but I have trouble taking you seriously when you make authoritative statements that you believe to be true but aren't. I don't intend to give the impression that I'm an authoritative source on anything in this post, but it's all supported by public documentation.

Metrolinx doesn't -- and hasn't ever -- used its P25 radio system for any kind of Presto data as you claim. In fact, the Presto BFTPs aren't even connected to the radios in the buses.

They previously do claim when a GO or those 905 agencies buses head back to the garage, the presto device connects to the WiFi hotspot in the garage and the presto devices would sync over actual WiFi signal after acquiring an internet connection.

Correct. It's not some "different protocol" -- it's plain ol' 802.11 Wi-Fi.

For the TTC, each bus would have it's own SIM and has a LTE connection to the cell towers. The presto device would know it's connected to the internet and thus could sync anywhere in the GTA (technically anywhere with cell signal). I'm pretty sure they're just wired to the internet via BAI's network. The fare gates need an internet connection after all.

Also correct, but I'm not 100% sure if the fare gates are hard-wired or if they use the existing Wi-Fi infrastructure. The master agreement allows for both:

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 4.51.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 4.49.53 PM.png

Which is not Wi-Fi. The systems the TTC use can be piggybacked on the same carrier as Wi-Fi, but they are very different protocols.

Not correct. The fare gates use standard 802.11 (Wi-Fi), not some "different protocol" as you claim. The Presto devices in streetcars and buses also use 802.11, and accommodate a cellular modem.

And for radio data systems:

http://cutaactu.ca/en/news-media/la...pand-toronto-transit-commission-tetra-network

Whether the TTC has completely phased out their GRS analog Rogers system yet I don't know, but Rogers was shutting down the entire system for all users, but offered a number of extensions in some areas, Toronto being one.

Whatever, it's not "Wi-Fi". And TV isn't radio. You can piggyback them and vastly more on a single carrier, but the protocols, let alone the modulation modes, are completely different. And then there's digital radio and TV, all very different again, all can be carried on the same trunk. (Bandwidth permitting)

The CIS radio/telemetry backup system is over Bell's CDMA network, not Rogers' GSM network. Further, the TETRA radio system will not carry any Presto data. This is for a similar reason to Metrolinx's P25 network: there simply isn't enough spectrum allocated to do so. The Presto data will be relayed exclusively by a cellular modem. See the diagram below:

eiSonco.png

I hope we can put this to rest, and that everybody can learn a lesson from this: calling something by a technically inaccurate but intuitive and clear name isn't a reason to nitpick or needlessly belittle people. If somebody calls the P25 trunked radio system "Wi-Fi", who cares! Be pragmatic, take contextual hints, and don't talk down to those less tech-savvy than you. Being friendly is cool :cool:

Attachments

• eiSonco.png
    eiSonco.png
    710.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 4.51.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 4.51.02 PM.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 360
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 4.49.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 4.49.53 PM.png
    31 KB · Views: 373
Also correct, but I'm not 100% sure if the fare gates are hard-wired or if they use the existing Wi-Fi infrastructure. The master agreement allows for both:

screen-shot-2017-08-12-at-4-51-02-pm-png.117737

screen-shot-2017-08-12-at-4-49-53-pm-png.117738
When I spoke with the Ceo of BAI during doors open at Downsview park he said that all of the fare gates have a wired connection that they provided along with the modules for public wifi in the stations. Ther is also additional wiring for power and heating for the gates. If you look along the wall on station platforms you will see a set of cables labeled for pesto that have a fairly high voltage rating on them. I'll try and get a picture next time I'm on the subway.

Metrolinx doesn't -- and hasn't ever -- used its P25 radio system for any kind of Presto data as you claim. In fact, the Presto BFTPs aren't even connected to the radios in the buses.
I never claimed they did. My claim was in response to Amnesia June's one for the TTC and buses.
Correct. It's not some "different protocol" -- it's plain ol' 802.11 Wi-Fi.
Read further. It's the WAN. Just because you use 802.11 doesn't mean you're using Internet Protocol. It's a frequency assignment used for many things, including microwave ovens for some of the sub-bands.
IEEE 802.11 is a set of media access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications for implementing wireless local area network (WLAN) computer communication in the 900 MHz and 2.4, 3.6, 5, and 60 GHz frequency bands. They are created and maintained by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) LAN/MAN Standards Committee (IEEE 802). The base version of the standard was released in 1997, and has had subsequent amendments. The standard and amendments provide the basis for wireless network products using the Wi-Fi brand. While each amendment is officially revoked when it is incorporated in the latest version of the standard, the corporate world tends to market to the revisions because they concisely denote capabilities of their products. As a result, in the marketplace, each revision tends to become its own standard. [...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

I could get technical, but that hopefully should explain it. You can use *the same trunk* to carry *many* protocols. (the modulation method is key to this, in almost all cases, digital) Wi-Fi is a proprietary one, and is misused constantly. It's all a matter of what you modulate on the carrier, the carrier being, in this instance, in the 802.11 bands.

Not correct. The fare gates use standard 802.11 (Wi-Fi), not some "different protocol" as you claim. The Presto devices in streetcars and buses also use 802.11, and accommodate a cellular modem.
I see, if that's the case, then they should be able to buy everything off the shelf from their local internet provider...think of all the money saved. And the glaring exposure to hacking. It will be a closed "private" tunnel.

The CIS radio/telemetry backup system is over Bell's CDMA network, not Rogers' GSM network. Further, the TETRA radio system will not carry any Presto data. This is for a similar reason to Metrolinx's P25 network: there simply isn't enough spectrum allocated to do so. The Presto data will be relayed exclusively by a cellular modem. See the diagram below:
I stated that Rogers analog system would no longer be available. Best you read back. I didn't indicate who the new provider would be, because last time I checked, it hadn't been made clear.

And I think you'd best look at the diagram you posted.
upload_2017-8-12_17-43-38.png

According to that, Presto is a stand alone system, taking an input from GPS for location, and transmitting discreetly by cell, not 802.11. As you state: "The Presto data will be relayed exclusively by a cellular modem." Indeed, and not "Wi-Fi" as was prior claimed.

In all fairness, that diagram is incomplete, and an actual schematic would better show sub-systems and carriers. Metrolinx themselves might have requirements on keeping info gathered from Presto Cards proprietary, other than what they are contractually obligated to share with the operator. I don't know on that, but the fact that there is no subsidiary channel is curious (for back-up in case of a localized system failure)

There is nothing in anything you post to indicate the use of "Wi-Fi" protocol save for passenger use when that is provided on the buses and/or streetcars.

I hope we can put this to rest, and that everybody can learn a lesson from this: calling something by a technically inaccurate but intuitive and clear name isn't a reason to nitpick or needlessly belittle people.

Steve X took me to task, and now so do you, and you present information that continues to be misleading and inaccurate.

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-12_17-43-38.png
    upload_2017-8-12_17-43-38.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
When I spoke with the Ceo of BAI during doors open at Downsview park he said that all of the fare gates have a wired connection that they provided along with the modules for public wifi in the stations. Ther is also additional wiring for power and heating for the gates. If you look along the wall on station platforms you will see a set of cables labeled for pesto that have a fairly high voltage rating on them. I'll try and get a picture next time I'm on the subway.
Correct, the trunk feed carries both. In the case of the diagram squircle posted, although I have some quibbles with its technical limitation (It's a flow pictorial for simplicity instead of a full schematic), you will note that the bus on-board wi-fi, which is for passenger use, is tapped off the central processor which inputs a general carrier. Think of a cable modem tapping off TV, telephone, or Internet.

If you look along the wall on station platforms you will see a set of cables labeled for pesto that have a fairly high voltage rating on them. I'll try and get a picture next time I'm on the subway.
That won't be higher voltage insulation, I'm not privy to the engineering, but I've noticed same, and it's either shielding (magnetic or RF) and/or heat insulation in case of fire and the loss of critical safety systems. If it's optical feed, then heat insulation would also be required.

Edit to Add: BAI might be using what's termed "leaky feeders": http://wikivisually.com/wiki/Leaky_feeder

Last edited:
According to that, Presto is a stand alone system, taking an input from GPS for location, and transmitting discreetly by cell, not 802.11. As you state: "The Presto data will be relayed exclusively by a cellular modem." Indeed, and not "Wi-Fi" as was prior claimed.

They were taking about GO and the 905 systems using what is commonly called "Wi-Fi" in the yards to sync Presto data to the in vehicle readers, not the TTC. And you really don't have to be so picky over the correct use of technical terms that most people are not familiar with in as much detail as you are.

Here's the record:
amnesiajune said:
while one on wi-fi can synchronize each time it goes into terminals and garages.
I'm seeing the term "wi-fi" misused a lot of late. It is for only a couple of specific bands and protocol, and it's nowhere near what GO is using for data transmission.

GO frequencies are here:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4579

It's even possible that an inductive loop is being used to transpond what people refer to as "synchronization" (which actually had a specific definition before the computerezers completely mis-used it), much more secure and still fully encoded/encrypted if need be. Wi-Fi is this:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/W/Wi_Fi.html
If anyone finds that rude, then you have very thin skin indeed. It's an important point, because if GO or any other Metrolinx partner is using "Wi-Fi" to transpond that data, then there's serious issues to discuss, not the least being security of information and hacking.

In the event, the sooner GO and other carriers can multiplex Presto on their radio data systems (contrary to an earlier poster reference, the packets for Presto are tiny relative to other communications) the better. (Edit to Add: Metrolinx may be required by law to have a stand-alone system for this)

Btw: When GO or TTC refer to "cell" it's a general reference, not "cell-phone" type communications. They can be carried on the same towers, albeit some transport systems have their own tower system. That may now be redundant if more general radio systems are utilized.

Here's the background I can find, albeit no mention of who they are going to use for a radio carrier system, it may still be their own:
[...] The fleet management solution INIT provides to Metrolinx will track revenue and non-revenue vehicles to improve enterprise productivity of current operations and provide enhanced services to GO users.

Incorporated into the new contract is the feed of real-time bus information to Metrolinx’s online customer information service (CIS) and their new interactive voice response (IVR) system. The new system will gather bus and rail real-time locations and predict arrival times for the dissemination of service alerts to travelers and other regional transit agencies.

In addition to the ITS for GO’s bus and rail operations, many of the supervisory vehicles with AVL tracking equipment. Further provisions call for all GO Bus vehicle garages, including third-party-owned satellite garages to be equipped with INIT’s WLAN solution to allow for the wireless transmission of data between the vehicles and the central system.

As part of the second phase of the project, vehicle logic units, mobile data terminals, cellular data communications and audio annunciators will be installed on one coach per train. GO operates commuter trains with service on seven lines that is coordinated with GO bus service during peak hours. The vehicle logic unit will integrate with future in-vehicle Variable Message Signs, as well as an on-board security camera system that will be installed in the future. The audio annunciators will be integrated with GO’s existing public address system on all rail coaches to provide automated next rail station announcements in every coach of the train.

The project is set to begin in 2012.
http://www.metro-magazine.com/bus/news/288247/go-transti-to-deploy-init-fleet-management-system

Learn the differences between WLAN (Wireless LAN) and a Wi-Fi (Wireless Fidelity) and why knowing the difference between networking protocols is so important, from our expert Tessa Parmenter.
Is WIFI and WLAN the same thing?
While wireless LANs refer to any local area network (LAN) that a mobile user can connect to through a wireless (radio) connection; Wi-Fi (short for "wireless fidelity") is a term for certain types of WLANs that use specifications in the 802.11 wireless protocol family.
Wireless vs. Wi-Fi: What is the difference between Wi-Fi and WLAN?

Last edited:
This is the last post I'll make on this subject. In hindsight, I shouldn't have brought it up again at all. Mea culpa.

Just because you use 802.11 doesn't mean you're using Internet Protocol. It's a frequency assignment used for many things, including microwave ovens for some of the sub-bands.

I never asserted that the Presto infrastructure used IP. It makes intuitive sense that it would, but that's really irrelevant. While 802.11 defines frequencies (layer 1), it also provides the MAC layer (layer 2) for communication. You know that, I know that.

Plainly, if you're trying to assert that "yes it's 802.11 but it's not Wi-Fi" or "it uses the 2.4/5 GHz bands but not 802.11", then you're either picking microscopic nits or are intentionally trying to be misleading and argumentative.

I could get technical, but that hopefully should explain it. You can use *the same trunk* to carry *many* protocols. (the modulation method is key to this, in almost all cases, digital) Wi-Fi is a proprietary one, and is misused constantly. It's all a matter of what you modulate on the carrier, the carrier being, in this instance, in the 802.11 bands.

For purposes of this discussion, the distinction between Wi-Fi and 802.11 isn't relevant, nor is it productive to discuss. If you want to continue to split hairs, I won't interrupt you any further.

I stated that Rogers analog system would no longer be available. Best you read back. I didn't indicate who the new provider would be, because last time I checked, it hadn't been made clear.

The "GRS [sic] analog Rogers system" you're referring to is completely irrelevant, because it is in fact a Bell CDMA system. That's one of the reasons why Bell hasn't shut down their CDMA network in Southern Ontario yet. I also don't know who will provide the cellular modem access for either the TTC's equipment or Presto. It also doesn't particularly matter for this discussion.

And I think you'd best look at the diagram you posted.
View attachment 117740

For the TTC, this is correct. However, the first-generation Presto system (used on GO and other GTA transit agencies) uses Wi-Fi in the garages to synchronize transactions. This is obvious from the context of the discussion.

There is nothing in anything you post to indicate the use of "Wi-Fi" protocol save for passenger use when that is provided on the buses and/or streetcars.

If you look into the documents I cited, you will find them. I agree that it's not present in the diagram, but it certainly is in the TTC-Presto Master Agreement:

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 6.40.56 PM.png

Steve X took me to task, and now so do you, and you present information that continues to be misleading and inaccurate.

Then I guess Steve X and I are both fools.

Apologies to other readers and mods.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 6.40.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 6.40.56 PM.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 226
My case has been made and referenced. You're still very confused on 802.11, I've provided the references. "Wi-Fi" is defined by categories of 802.11, not the general standard. But let's get back to your claims:

Further, the TETRA radio system will not carry any Presto data. This is for a similar reason to Metrolinx's P25 network: there simply isn't enough spectrum allocated to do so. The Presto data will be relayed exclusively by a cellular modem. See the diagram below:
"there simply isn't enough spectrum allocated to do so.". Really? You might want to revisit that claim. What Presto needs to update batch files is a pittance in terms of data packets.

But your claims: "The Presto devices in streetcars and buses also use 802.11, and accommodate a cellular modem" and "The Presto data will be relayed exclusively by a cellular modem." present an interesting dilemma for you and GO/TTC. If there's a dedicated "cellular modem"...then why is it not connecting real time (there will be some system latency, but that will measure within seconds unless the system server is overloaded, which would be highly unlikely if the hard-wired readers run real-time).

By your claims, the capacity already exists for mobile Presto Readers to run real-time updating. What's the problem? Not enough antenna input power? Spotty reception? Remember, your claim is for "cellular". GO's service area is fully covered, save for shaded spots like under bridges or in tunnels. So like a text message, it comes in a few minutes late. (In fact, 'shaded' areas are easily dealt with, but I digress) Over to you...

A reminder of where the latency string started most recently:

Admiral Beez said:
Then there's all the steps next....
1) Want to register your Presto card, you must wait 24 hours
2) Want to complete your registration, you must tap it (or spend on it unnecessarily), but you must again wait 24 hours, but not more than 30 days
Yeah, PITA.

That said, the last time I got a card I did the website data entry on my phone and the taps at the TTC kiosk. Got the job done within a few minutes. Still more taps than I felt should be necessary.

Actually, they're waiting for the guy at the bus maintenance facilities (and a few subway stations) to run around to all the Presto machines to sync the on-device data with the central office. Not all Presto devices have live network connections.

IIRC, TTC has a WIFI fallback for their in vehicle cellular connection. So, Presto devices in their vehicles should sync at least once per trip for most routes.

Last edited:
I don't know how this turn into a discussion of what is WiFi. My original point was ML/GO doesn't buses that can sync though some radio frequency anywhere GTA and instead must transmit Presto data wireless near a hotspot (normal reader don't care what technology). The TTC and OcTranspo can transfer over cell towers anywhere with reception.

I'm pretty sure you meant the wires have high current rating. It's current (in Amperes) that kills in a shock, not voltage. Higher voltage would usually lead to drawing more current.

No they don't. A system like that would have atrocious reliability. What they want to move to is a system where, if a transit provider chooses, their readers can synchronize on very short intervals. It'll never be instant, but it could get to the point where transactions would be available on all card readers within a few minutes.
If they're not synchronizing immediately, how is the transfer system working? How does the system know that I've already tapped one place therefore will not charge me again when I transferred to another vehicle?

Anybody heard or seen anything about electronic wallet integration? I know it was supposed to be planned for a future generation, with open payments.

Presto should really be on Android Pay and Apple Pay.

Back