News   Jul 16, 2024
 194     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 948     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

These smart cards should be "smart" right?
Can they can program a lifespan onto them? Let's say on issuance they determine the age of the child and they program the card to have a lifespan until the child reaches 12. Then at that point it will have to be reactivated.

Yes, this is how Presto works.

What do I do for my kid entering Grade 8 in Sept? Elementary schools do not issue photo ID. I can use their passport to prove age when we obtain the presto card, but they have no photo ID to carry on them to prove their identity or age if challenged on the TTC. This whole thing seems silly, there's no ID required to use student tickets, my kids just drop them in the box and go.
Students don't need photo id on them travelling until they are 16. The logic is that even if a 13-year old looks 16, they don't look 20 - and the inspectors are being sensible, from what I can see.

See http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Fare_information/Seniors_students_and_children/index.jsp

But I'd still go to a GO outlet, not Shoppers, given the apparent different rules. Though if you have the passports ...

Just a note to people about student presto cards. The TTC has said they plan to do it with the start of the school year in september it could be this year or next year when they do it. Alos just to note Presto cards with student fae may only be made available to students who go to school in the city of Toronto so even having a presto card programmed for use as a student on go transit my not work on the TTC.

Just a note to people about student presto cards. The TTC has said they plan to do it with the start of the school year in september it could be this year or next year when they do it. Alos just to note Presto cards with student fae may only be made available to students who go to school in the city of Toronto so even having a presto card programmed for use as a student on go transit my not work on the TTC.
That's interesting. Does that mean like my kids couldn't use their personal cards on Go or the UPE?

That's interesting. Does that mean like my kids couldn't use their personal cards on Go or the UPE?

Thats just dumb. This is one area that wills benefit from fare integration. Presto sets the fares and they set the guidelines on card types.

Thats just dumb. This is one area that wills benefit from fare integration. Presto sets the fares and they set the guidelines on card types.

A card bought for Go or UPX would be difret then the TTc ones but you would probably be able to use them on it. The TTC student fare is subsidized by the school boards in the city of Toronto so that's why it has always traditionally been for student in the city of Toronto only. As of right now they are still selling tickets for students and you need a valid student Id to use it, I believe a few years ago the TTC stopped issuing their own and now allows students to use one from a Toronto high school or elementary school, as student fare is from 13 to 19 years of age.

Fare integration hasn't happened yet mainly because the TTC and Metrolinx haven't had any meeting to discus it yet and the tTC isn't big on it.

Last edited:
Compare with New York City. See link and link.

Student MetroCards

Schools distribute student MetroCards to eligible students at the beginning of each semester of the school year. Student MetroCards are distinct from MetroCards used by the general public.

Student MetroCards are:
  • Only for use by the student to whom it was issued.
  • Good for travel to and from school and school-related activities between 5:30 a.m. and 8:30 p.m., only on days when the student’s school is in session.
  • Good for three trips each school day. Three trips allows a student to travel to school, from school to an after school activity, and then from that activity to home. A special four-trip student MetroCard is available on request for pupils whose trip to school requires multiple transfers.
  • Good for an entire school semester.
A full fare student MetroCard allows an eligible student to travel to and from school and school-related activities by bus and subway. On most trips, a student can also transfer free between the bus and the subway, between a bus and another bus, or between the subway and a bus. You cannot transfer between M27 and M50; M31 and M57; M96 and M106; Bx40 and Bx42; M1, M2, M3, and M4; Fifth Avenue and Madison Avenue buses; M101, M102, and M103; Lexington Avenue and Third Avenue buses; Bx1 and Bx2; and a bus going south on Grand Concourse and one going north.

A half fare student MetroCard allows an eligible student to travel to and from school and school-​

Have you any evidence of either of these statements? (No meetings on fare integration, TTC not big on fare integration.)

TTC wants the same deal every single other operator in the GTHA got; Metrolinx refuses to agree to that.

For some reason, people interpret TTC not accepting the short straw to be them not interested.

If you have a presto card with a monthly ttc pass, why would you need to tap on when entering a streetcar? I realize they want the data, but you've paid your fare so there should be no requirement to tap.

If you have a presto card with a monthly ttc pass, why would you need to tap on when entering a streetcar? I realize they want the data, but you've paid your fare so there should be no requirement to tap.

Say, for example, you don't' tap. Say for example, you didn't renew your pass. Say for example, you are asked to prove you paid. POP. The tap indicates you paid. The data is a bonus. Without the tap, there is no evidence you paid.

Say, for example, you don't' tap. Say for example, you didn't renew your pass. Say for example, you are asked to prove you paid. POP. The tap indicates you paid. The data is a bonus. Without the tap, there is no evidence you paid.

Can't the fare checker scan your pass and determine you have a monthly valid pass? If the tap machine can verify you have a pass, why can't the fare checker do the same without you having to tap a separate device.

Can't the fare checker scan your pass and determine you have a monthly valid pass? If the tap machine can verify you have a pass, why can't the fare checker do the same without you having to tap a separate device.

1. The proof that you paid is no longer in having the pass and being able to produce it. It's tapping it. Period. Some of the people getting on a streetcar at - say King and Yonge eastbound - will be subway passengers. So those folks are extending a journey. Some will be people who walked up to the stop and are starting a journey. In the first case, the tap is your transfer and in the second the tap is the system's signal to charge you a fare.
2. If I were a fare inspector on the same vehicle, I want to see ALL people tapping so that I know EVERYONE boarding has paid. One way or another, if every person entering that vehicle taps, they have paid. This removes the need to check each person AFTER they board and makes the fare payment process easier to verify.
3. Tapping out of subway stations is coming. One way or another on the rapid transit network, you will start your journey with a tap and end it with a tap. Whether for data or for fare calculation reasons. This is common elsewhere. We are catching up to the rest of the world in the late twentieth century although we are two and a half years from the third decade of the twenty-first.

1. The proof that you paid is no longer in having the pass and being able to produce it. It's tapping it. Period.
I was going to write the same thing, until realizing it's oxymoronic. It's a *PASS*! mgl has a point. The whole idea of a "Pass" is that you've paid your fare by buying it, not by tapping it. Should tapping be required? Perhaps, but not for the payment of fare aspect.

Think about it.
Say, for example, you don't' tap. Say for example, you didn't renew your pass
Say, for example, *ANYONE* does that? They are liable, upon examination of their card if they are asked to produce one, for a fine. Upon examination of the Pass holder, they are determined to have a Pass.

How complex a concept is that? The POP is that the holder of the Pass bought it for the time agreed.

Last edited:

Back