News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 617     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

agreed, they need to convert to single ticket purchases and perhaps fare by distance asap or risk alienation
I think Metrolinx is more interested in fare by distance for the TTC then the TTC is as they feel that a single fare is easier for people to understand rather than having multiple zones across the city. Although I could see them having a separate cash/ one time use ticket fare for anyone boarding from the stions outside of Toronto on the new subway extension.

I think Metrolinx is more interested in fare by distance for the TTC then the TTC is as they feel that a single fare is easier for people to understand rather than having multiple zones across the city. Although I could see them having a separate cash/ one time use ticket fare for anyone boarding from the stions outside of Toronto on the new subway extension.

ideally, i would like to see them separate metro from bus. have metro charge by distance while have bus a cheaper but flat fare. do away with transfers or perhaps give a discount for transfers.

ideally, i would like to see them separate metro from bus. have metro charge by distance while have bus a cheaper but flat fare. do away with transfers or perhaps give a discount for transfers.
The TTC used to do that back when the Bloor Danforth line first opened the subway was considered to be one zone across the city and needed two tickets to board if you entered it outside of downtown, for example Main Street Station had collectors both on the mezzanine level of the station rather then at the entrance of it where they are now, If you came in by bus you would have to deposit a ticket to get on the subway as well or if you came on from the street you would have to pay two fares. I'm not 100% sure if that's how it worked as it was stopped before I was born or at least before I started riding the subway. Personally I think zone fares work better for something like Go transit, although I think they should make all of Toronto be one zone and have the fare a little bit higher then the TTC maybe say like 4 dollars or something like that.

The TTC used to do that back when the Bloor Danforth line first opened the subway was considered to be one zone across the city and needed two tickets to board if you entered it outside of downtown, for example Main Street Station had collectors both on the mezzanine level of the station rather then at the entrance of it where they are now, If you came in by bus you would have to deposit a ticket to get on the subway as well or if you came on from the street you would have to pay two fares. I'm not 100% sure if that's how it worked as it was stopped before I was born or at least before I started riding the subway. Personally I think zone fares work better for something like Go transit, although I think they should make all of Toronto be one zone and have the fare a little bit higher then the TTC maybe say like 4 dollars or something like that.

hmm interesting...tbh i think this flat fare is a major reason behind their financial woes. they are charging too little for too much service. in theory you can ride from one end of the city to another for 50% what its worth operationally.

hmm interesting...tbh i think this flat fare is a major reason behind their financial woes. they are charging too little for too much service. in theory you can ride from one end of the city to another for 50% what its worth operationally.
I think there are arguments for both sides of the coin, Don't fort the current CEO of the TTC is from London where they have multiple zones he doesn't relly seem to be pushing for it much her though. Well they could potentially make more money having multiple zones the problem become with buses and streetcars that cross out of the zones how do you pay the sperte fare for them if you don't go back into a station? Don't forget unlike most other cities the subway in Toronto acts like a hub and the buses and streetcars all feed into it rather then them being completely separate from the subway system like they are in many other cities.

No, that's a bad idea, the subway is there to provide enough capacity, not a premium service.

No, that's a bad idea, the subway is there to provide enough capacity, not a premium service.
Exactly the only premium service that should be extra in Toronto should be go transit and rer/smart track or whatever it becomes. Seprete fares for the subway and surface routes is just confusing.

Exactly the only premium service that should be extra in Toronto should be go transit and rer/smart track or whatever it becomes. Seprete fares for the subway and surface routes is just confusing.

It should still be paid by with the same fare system though, even if its extra.

This was a publicity stunt as this person is actually a buzzfeed Canada reporter not a foreigner, but in reality, it is ridiculous to expect tourists to throw $6 in the garbage buying a Presto card if they're only here briefly.
How many people actually bother to get their Oyster card refunded back to them when they fly out of London?

If they are only here briefly, then they can just buy single trips, now and in the future.

That's wrong.

It's true that the fare payment was made at the mezzanine level, but the subway, once the extensions to Etobicoke and Scarborough opened in 1968, was opened, it was deemed to be in "Zone 1." If you walked in off the street at Islington, Warden, or even Main Street, and you were going into the subway, you paid only one fare, and the subway transfer would allow you a free transfer to any bus or streetcar in Zone 1.

You only paid twice when taking a suburban Zone 2 bus, and having to pay the Zone 1 fare when entering the subway, or transferring from the subway to a Zone 2 bus. (Or on a bus that crossed the zone boundary.)

After the two-zone Metro fare was abolished in 1973, many of the fare gates were moved upstairs to street level (like at Main Street), or moved to allow transfer-free access between buses and subway.

How many people actually bother to get their Oyster card refunded back to them when they fly out of London?

If they are only here briefly, then they can just buy single trips, now and in the future.
Nowadays you don't even have to buy an Oyster card as a tourist. Just tap your contactless credit card and you'll get the same fare as with Oyster.

well technically we are already over capacity so if all else it can curb some of the over crowding. but the main message here is that TTC cant afford to continue doing 1950s flat fare and
expect to increase service continuously while being profitable. not in this economic climate. if you look at any other major city around the world especially in asia, bus and rail are all charged separately with their own fare schemes.

or share it with someone else going there. My Mom has bowed Oyster cards from a friend of hers a couple of times, also a cousin I have there has extra ones in case of visiting family.

You only paid twice when taking a suburban Zone 2 bus, and having to pay the Zone 1 fare when entering the subway, or transferring from the subway to a Zone 2 bus. (Or on a bus that crossed the zone boundary.)

The problem with the zone fares was that sometimes you didn't end up doing this. And sometimes you'd be forced to pay twice even though you didn't leave the central fare zone. The city outgrew the fare system.

I definitely think a zone fare system could come back, but it can't be the double-fare nonsense. Charging twice as much for crossing Eglinton makes as much sense as charging twice as much for crossing Steeles or Highway 427. What could be a good system is to divide the city into four fare zones (Scarborough, Etobicoke, south of Eglinton and north of Eglinton) and charge a small extra price (a dollar, maybe) for trips that travel through three of the fare zones (i.e. all the way from Scarborough to Etobicoke or vice-versa). That could be integrated with the 905 too, so that a trip between the inner and outer suburbs would cost the same as a trip between the inner suburbs and the core.

Back