News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 463     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Well, I was at Spadina station waiting for a streetcar today and I had an interesting talk with a fare inspector. I told him I was thinking of buying a Presto card. I asked what would happen if I tapped on to a streetcar and Presto didn't register my payment. He told me that he would check my Presto card to see if I had paid and the bottom line is that if his check shows that I hadn't paid then I'd receive a fine. So in that situation I would be fined for paying my fare. He was a nice guy and we had a nice chat. He told me that any discrepancies would have to be sorted out between myself and Presto customer service. From what I've read about Presto customer service that isn't a viable option. So I will not be buying a Presto card until I'm forced to do so, i.e., when the TTC no longer accepts tokens.

Well, I was at Spadina station waiting for a streetcar today and I had an interesting talk with a fare inspector. I told him I was thinking of buying a Presto card. I asked what would happen if I tapped on to a streetcar and Presto didn't register my payment. He told me that he would check my Presto card to see if I had paid and the bottom line is that if his check shows that I hadn't paid then I'd receive a fine. So in that situation I would be fined for paying my fare. He was a nice guy and we had a nice chat. He told me that any discrepancies would have to be sorted out between myself and Presto customer service. From what I've read about Presto customer service that isn't a viable option. So I will not be buying a Presto card until I'm forced to do so, i.e., when the TTC no longer accepts tokens.
A lot of those inspectors are a wealth of info, and sometimes you hear a very different story than what the PR departments put out. I respect your choice.
From what I've read about Presto customer service that isn't a viable option.
Some of them are wonderful people, they instantly 'get' what your issue is, and do their very best to make it right. But some don't succeed, hard as they try, others just go through the motions, say you'll get a refund, and it never happens. So it's a crapshoot, not to mention the imposition of having to take time to sometimes repeatedly call on the same issue to finally get it straightened out.

Sometimes it's just not worth the hassle. What's promised, and what you get are not the same thing, and you think: "Why did I even bother? I'll pay more and avoid the hassle".

That being said, I continue to use my Presto Card, but keep an eagle eye on the on-line account, which you shouldn't have to do, but is necessary. They've improved the GUI somewhat, but it still takes mental retention far beyond what normal book-keeping practice takes to make it legible.

Did you ask him what would happen if you lost your transfer before he checked your fare?

If you don't have a paper transfer, ,etro pass or presto card you will most likely be charged a fine. However they do allow some leeway for poel to deposit a fare in the machines on the new cars.

I asked what would happen if I tapped on to a streetcar and Presto didn't register my payment.

This shouldn't happen, and I haven't heard of it happening. If you see the screen change and hear the beep, it's processed. When I've heard people get asked on the GO why they didn't pay, through the fare inspectors line of questioning, it's often revealed that they kept their card in their purse or bag or wallet without taking it out, and they were rushing to make the train; they didn't stop to check.

He told me that any discrepancies would have to be sorted out between myself and Presto customer service. From what I've read about Presto customer service that isn't a viable option. So I will not be buying a Presto card until I'm forced to do so, i.e., when the TTC no longer accepts tokens.
I've never had a problem dealing with overcharges - why isn't this a viable option?

I can't conceive how it would tap green, and not have processed - with all the discussion here, I've not heard of that being a problem.

Presto benefit: going through College station yesterday, I appeared to be the only one in a large crowd who had Presto. They had to line up at the fare gates, I tapped in and beat the rush. That will of course change over time as more people start using it.

I can't conceive how it would tap green, and not have processed - with all the discussion here, I've not heard of that being a problem.

This has happened to me once. It was on a bus where the front reader was broken but the one in the back looked fine. I'm not sure what happened but in the end it was harmless - I got on the bus, I didn't get charged, I wouldn't have been charged anyways because it was (technically) a transfer.

From the New Fare Gates thread:

Rosedale is now enabled. Eglinton will be enabled tomorrow.

With that, you can use your Presto anywhere along/west of Yonge as of tomorrow, with 3 minor exceptions:
  • At the Line 1 segment of Spadina station (as far as I know, can anyone confirm?)
  • 121 Fort York
  • 94 Wellesley
MLUB872.png

This has happened to me once. It was on a bus where the front reader was broken but the one in the back looked fine. I'm not sure what happened but in the end it was harmless - I got on the bus, I didn't get charged, I wouldn't have been charged anyways because it was (technically) a transfer.

Sorry, I'm confused--so when you tapped the card it lit up green, said 'accepted', and made the accepted sound, but you say it was "broken" and you didn't get charged?

Sorry, I'm confused--so when you tapped the card it lit up green, said 'accepted', and made the accepted sound, but you say it was "broken" and you didn't get charged?

Yeah. My guess is that the machine in the back isn't completely independent of the one in the front. So I tapped my card, it tried to do some processing on the frozen front machine, and it probably timed out or got an error but didn't make a fuss.

Yes, and no. I have been on several 121s with Presto working but on Sunday had one with no readers. Driver told me 'we are almost all done now."
OK, I don't take it myself but have heard from many people that do who were thrilled they could now use Presto!

Back