News   Jun 21, 2024
 3.7K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

How about implementing a fare card that can jus be reloaded from numerous places any way you'd like.. Hey Imagine if there was a fare card that would work not just on the TTC but also on like GO or YRT or ....

O WAIT, IT EXISTS, IT'S CALLED PRESTO.

I am far more interested in a fare card that works in Paris, London, Hong Kong, New York, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal in addition to higher fares for Via, Amtrak, Porter, and Delta.

Both Paris and New York have run successful trials (an obvious reason to hire a New York consultant -- one from the trial project with real-world results to share). I look forward to hopping off an aircraft in Paris and not having to stand in line for 40 minutes at a RER ticket machine to pay for a ticket with Visa; ditto for all other locations mentioned.

The only real disappointing bit here is that integration of the finance chips into cell phones is proceeding at a very slow pace.

I am far more interested in a fare card that works in Paris, London, Hong Kong, New York, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal in addition to higher fares for Via, Amtrak, Porter, and Delta.
In other words your VISA card ... which is what Toronto is looking at. What other cities can do this already?

I look forward to hopping off an aircraft in Paris and not having to stand in line for 40 minutes at a RER ticket machine to pay for a ticket with Visa; ditto for all other locations mentioned.
Can you buy metro and RER tickets for Paris in advance? For example, at the Eurostar station in London (the old Waterloo one at least) you could buy things like a Paris weekly pass or 3-day pass in advance.

In other words your VISA card ... which is what Toronto is looking at. What other cities can do this already?

I don't see any broad deployments and MTA/PATH/NJ has the most obvious trial implementation (Mastercard Tap & Go). They're looking for a single payment card for all 3 systems, plus New Yorks current swipe cards are extremely slow for bus transfers at stations (empty to full bus in only 10 minutes). Los Angeles has been running a similar test for the last couple of years.

South Africa is looking for a single card (Visa Paywave in this case) to cover the entire countries Taxi-Bus system. They are in trial with 50,000 users and expecting to be up to 10,000,000 users within 3 years if trials go well.

Malaysia is testing on various transit systems.

Paris (RATP) was running a test (fall 2008) though I cannot find anything to indicate how it went or whether it is still ongoing.

Last edited:
I don't see any broad deployments and MTA/PATH/NJ has the most obvious trial implementation (Mastercard Tap & Go).
But not VISA? I'd think that any system would have to handle Interac, Visa, and Mastercard, or it's just wasting our time. Hmm, I think I might be using PATH in August ... I'll have to look into that.

But not VISA? I'd think that any system would have to handle Interac, Visa, and Mastercard, or it's just wasting our time. Hmm, I think I might be using PATH in August ... I'll have to look into that.

Yeah. Both Visa and MasterCard use the same physical system; but it appears if you go exclusive with one card the credit card company will pay part of the rollout cost for the reader equipment/network. As a result, many systems may be locked down to a single card.

However, having 2 smart-cards world wide is better than the dozen or so I have now; particularly if both "algorithms" can be injected onto a single physical device (see Barclays Oyster/Visa combo card or various phones with Smart-Card chips built in that allow loading the algorithm/keyset for visa, etc.).

I don't have a Mastercard now, but I'd sure as hell get one if I could pay TTC fares with it. It's not an ideal solution, but it could be win-win for the CC company and the TTC to go with an exclusive deal.

Can you buy metro and RER tickets for Paris in advance? For example, at the Eurostar station in London (the old Waterloo one at least) you could buy things like a Paris weekly pass or 3-day pass in advance.

Hong Kong has a Visa Paywave, which is a credit card that works just like a smart card, and you can beep your purchase on a special reader, although it's not the same reader as our Octopus cards. We can link our Octopus cards to recharge automatically from our credit cards though once it reaches a negative balance.

Another step towards Presto on the TTC?

TTC testing new farebox receiver

From Coupler article at the TTC website.

apr_10_farebox.jpg

A new farebox receiver designed to validate tokens and swipe passes was introduced on a trial basis on the 31 Greenwood, 72 Pape and 506 Carlton routes earlier this year.

Vehicles on those routes were equipped with the new farebox head to help Operators identify fake tokens and passes. The farebox receiver still accepts tickets and cash.

Customers boarding those vehicles will be required to swipe their passes or drop their tokens into a dedicated slot, similar to entering an automatic entrance. Flashing indicator lights and audible tones will tell the Operator and customer whether a token or pass is valid.

TTC staff continues to collect feedback from customers on the pilot routes.

York Region Transit has had a similar system in place for at least a decade now. Surprised (well, should be...) that the TTC is only now moving towards this. For the conservatives who feel such technology is a waste, it also autmatically counts coins, meaning one less reason to empoly fare collectors...

Also, PayPass (tapping credit card) works with both newer Mastercard and Visa cards. So I wouldn't worry about such a system only supporting one credit card.

Finally, if there is one thing this administration dropped the ball on in terms of transit, it is their lack of interest towards Presto. In a few years, every transit system in the GTHA and beyond will be fully equipped to support the smart cards, the TTC will only be starting to get on board... if we're lucky. words cannot describe the stupidity in this thinking: "Toronto is the center of the universe so screw you if you took transit from the suburbs to downtown, you should live in the core or rot in hell. And screw those who live downtown but work outside the city or live in the outer 416 where crossing boundaries may be a reality, you all suck because you disagree with my visions for social engineering" - Mayor David Miller

Finally, if there is one thing this administration dropped the ball on in terms of transit, it is their lack of interest towards Presto.
Uh ... what do you mean. TTC has voted to implement it, and is studying how. The big question, is who is going to pay for it.

York Region Transit has had a similar system in place for at least a decade now. Surprised (well, should be...) that the TTC is only now moving towards this. For the conservatives who feel such technology is a waste, it also autmatically counts coins, meaning one less reason to empoly fare collectors...

York Region uses standard GFI fareboxes. The boxed are not known for their quality, and reliability, and the coin slots can be easilty jammed. The boxes are good for verifying exsact fares. There are still fare collectors who empty out the boxes, so I do not know where you'te going with this comment.

Also, PayPass (tapping credit card) works with both newer Mastercard and Visa cards. So I wouldn't worry about such a system only supporting one credit card.

Finally, if there is one thing this administration dropped the ball on in terms of transit, it is their lack of interest towards Presto. In a few years, every transit system in the GTHA and beyond will be fully equipped to support the smart cards, the TTC will only be starting to get on board... if we're lucky. words cannot describe the stupidity in this thinking: "Toronto is the center of the universe so screw you if you took transit from the suburbs to downtown, you should live in the core or rot in hell. And screw those who live downtown but work outside the city or live in the outer 416 where crossing boundaries may be a reality, you all suck because you disagree with my visions for social engineering" - Mayor David Miller
Just what we need - another Miller basher.

The reason the TTC didn't come on board with all of the other transit agencies is because the cost to implement Presto on the TTC is more than the implementation cost for all of the other GTHA transit agencies combined, and the province was only offering to pick up a small part of the tab.

I would love to have Presto too, but there's nothing wrong with our current system, other than the fact that it's antiquated.

Really getting tired of all these factually wrong swipes against the TTC....

"Toronto is the center of the universe so screw you if you took transit from the suburbs to downtown, you should live in the core or rot in hell. And screw those who live downtown but work outside the city or live in the outer 416 where crossing boundaries may be a reality, you all suck because you disagree with my visions for social engineering" - Mayor David Miller

He didn't really say that.....did he?

Back