News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.9K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 656     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I will be using Presto in Ottawa this weekend. How seamless is it? Has anyone experienced any kinks using the card on OC Transpo?

I haven't had any issues switching between systems. The important things to note using PRESTO in Ottawa are that you can rear-door board articulated and double decker buses, and the PRESTO readers for the Trillium line are outside of the platforms. There are only 4 sales centres for PRESTO in Ottawa; Rideau Centre, St. Laurent Mall, Place d'Orleans Mall and Lincoln Fields station. Remember to watch for express buses with increased fares if you don't actually need them, and break-even on a day pass is only 3 trips, so that may be cheaper. Bus drivers sell day passes and you can pay for them with PRESTO. You can also pay for 2 people using PRESTO on buses, tell the driver and they will print a transfer for the second person.

I work in Ottawa during the summer months and use my presto card there. I have been using it in Toronto and Ottawa since 2012 and never had any problems.

It was only a matter of time, but Presto double charged me tonight. Boarded a 504 eastbound at yonge and got off at broadview to transfer to a 501 and continue east along Queen. According to Nextbus the next 501 was 14 minutes away, but fortunately the 504 car following was signed "Queen & Greenwood" so I boarded that and tapped on again. That should have been a completely valid transfer, but I was charged for two trips. Please TTC, bring back the 2 hour transfer, it's so much simpler.

It was only a matter of time, but Presto double charged me tonight. Boarded a 504 eastbound at yonge and got off at broadview to transfer to a 501 and continue east along Queen. According to Nextbus the next 501 was 14 minutes away, but fortunately the 504 car following was signed "Queen & Greenwood" so I boarded that and tapped on again. That should have been a completely valid transfer, but I was charged for two trips. Please TTC, bring back the 2 hour transfer, it's so much simpler.
TTC has said in cases like this, to use a paper transfer instead of tapping a second time.

In the meantime, complain to customer service to get a refund.

I will be using Presto in Ottawa this weekend. How seamless is it? Has anyone experienced any kinks using the card on OC Transpo?

Unless you're a resident of Quebec, you shouldn't any problems. The way the fare integration system works for Ottawa & Gatineau, it requires Ontario residents to use Ottawa fare media in both cities and for Quebec residents to use Gatineau fare media in both cities, so Presto readers in Ottawa will actually refuse taps from cards registered to addresses in Quebec.

Gatineau has its own smart card system but its readers do accept Presto taps. They'll recognize any monthly pass product or active transfer (1.5 hours in Ottawa) but you can't start a single-ride trip in Gatineau.

It looks like they are getting ready to put the new fare gates in soon at main street station. they have taken out the old fence between the existing turnstiles.
24545461880_8658872c17_z_d.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like they are getting ready to put the new fare gates in soon at main street station. they have taken out the old fence between the existing turnstiles.

1) How long will this "pilot" last before they ramp up installation at all stations
2) For the foreseeable future, will they be leaving in at least one or two old gates for tokens/passes?
3) Will you have to use your presto card to "tap off" on these new faregates starting day 1, or will this be a feature activated at a later date?

If you are visiting for the day and exploring you are probably best not to use PRESTO at the moment as it is only usable on streetcars and some subways and you still need paper transfers and tokens/tickets for buses.. By 2017 you will have no choice as PRESTO will replace cash, tickets, tokens, transfers and passes on everything. If you have used transit other cities with fare card systems it will be similar (daily caps etc) and you can, of course, use it on GO and UPX too. 2016 will confuse us all!

Daily caps? Is that already in place? What's the cap? @Duck is right. PRESTO is confusing as hell — and I live here.

@Duck is right. PRESTO is confusing as hell — and I live here.

I am sure the simpleness will improve in time for full deployment at the end of the year, but most transit riders only think about fares for 0.0002 seconds, so there is no real reason to get a PRESTO card at the moment if you currently use tokens or a metropass, since you aren't necessarily saving any money. It is unlikely that the average transit rider (who is not a transit enthusiast), would want to do the necessary background research to figure out how to currently use presto on the TTC.

Transferring 504-504 is a same route same direction transfer and thus Presto applied TTC's rules. That most 504 drivers heading to Russell wouldn't change to be 501 and would just accept your transfer is a discretion not programmed in. Once this rolls out to buses it will be interesting to see how many more edge cases show up.

Back