News   Jun 27, 2024
 381     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 684     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 441     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I'm an out-of-towner and I find Presto unnervingly confusing. Whenever I visit Toronto I just get a day pass for the TTC so I don't have to bother with trying to figure out transfers and stuff. I don't think I'm "dumb" or whatever (I love public transport, and exploring other cities and have riden countless systems around the world), but Presto isn't very well explained how it all works anywhere, especially not at the point of use (a subway or UP! station, for example).
If you are visiting for the day and exploring you are probably best not to use PRESTO at the moment as it is only usable on streetcars and some subways and you still need paper transfers and tokens/tickets for buses.. By 2017 you will have no choice as PRESTO will replace cash, tickets, tokens, transfers and passes on everything. If you have used transit other cities with fare card systems it will be similar (daily caps etc) and you can, of course, use it on GO and UPX too. 2016 will confuse us all!

I'm an out-of-towner and I find Presto unnervingly confusing. Whenever I visit Toronto I just get a day pass for the TTC so I don't have to bother with trying to figure out transfers and stuff. I don't think I'm "dumb" or whatever (I love public transport, and exploring other cities and have riden countless systems around the world), but Presto isn't very well explained how it all works anywhere, especially not at the point of use (a subway or UP! station, for example).
Presto is very easy for every system—just not the TTC. Just tap on. If you're taking GO, also tap off.

Presto is very easy for every system—just not the TTC. Just tap on. If you're taking GO, also tap off.

Very easy, unless you want tax credits and auto-topup from your credit card.

Do those green kiosks in the stations allow you to do registration and topup configuration on the fly instead of having to go through the website?

Looks like the transit cops are gonna use NFC phones to check fares, hmmmm...

https://twitter.com/Transit122/status/694551844870320128
CaOLNmFWQAE2M6O.jpg

Beginning Q2 2016, mass roll out of PRESTO at subway stations will begin. Main Street would be the pilot station, and should have its fare gates within this or next month as previously mentioned on this thread
ccs.png
PRESTO roll out completion is still scheduled for the end of the year, and full roll out by the end of next year.
Source: http://ttc.ca/Customer_Service/Customer_Charter/2016_Charter.jsp

Attachments

• ccs.png
    ccs.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 575
Reactions: PL1
They still need to "pilot" those gates?

AoD

From what I can tell, the gates are different than the current TTC gates with Presto readers attached to them. The current ones pretty much just have a Presto machine grafted on. These ones will be more advanced. That's just my understanding though.

PRESTO roll out completion is still scheduled for the end of the year, and full roll out by the end of next year.

What does that mean? I thought Presto was going to be fully rolled out by end of 2016? End of next year would be end of 2017... that's a year later than planned...

From the TTC website:

A plan to enable PRESTO on the TTC bus fleet is being developed with the TTC so that PRESTO cards can be used on all buses by the end of 2016.

The objective is to allow customers to be able to use PRESTO cards at all 69 TTC subway stations and throughout the entire TTC by the end of 2016.

I will be using Presto in Ottawa this weekend. How seamless is it? Has anyone experienced any kinks using the card on OC Transpo?

What does that mean? I thought Presto was going to be fully rolled out by end of 2016? End of next year would be end of 2017... that's a year later than planned...

From the TTC website:

A plan to enable PRESTO on the TTC bus fleet is being developed with the TTC so that PRESTO cards can be used on all buses by the end of 2016

The end of 2016 means that PRESTO will be available everywhere on the TTC. However, it does not mean that all entrances at a station will have PRESTO by the end of 2016. So 2017 will be adding all the PRESTO features to the system such as Open Payments including adding readers to all entrances at stations.

A source
http://m.metronews.ca/#/article/new...re-structure-changes-as-presto-rolls-out.html

The end of 2016 means that PRESTO will be available everywhere on the TTC. However, it does not mean that all entrances at a station will have PRESTO by the end of 2016. So 2017 will be adding all the PRESTO features to the system such as Open Payments including adding readers to all entrances at stations.

A source
http://m.metronews.ca/#/article/new...re-structure-changes-as-presto-rolls-out.html

Phewww! Glad to hear. I was worried implementation was being pushed back.

Phewww! Glad to hear. I was worried implementation was being pushed back.
No, there's long been talk of some ancillary stuff pushed into 2017 - vending machines, retail sales, etc.

Though with 43 stations still to go, it's hard to imagine that they won't hit a snag in one or two stations.

Back