News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

so it looks like the TTC is starting a series of the Brad and Andy show to explain presto on their youtube channel part one is up and I guess they will add more soon

I had an odd experience today - I made a quick trip on the 510 to College. Spent 15 minutes getting a few things then hoped back on. Except - it would not allow me to tap the card. Every machine said denied even though it had 14 dollars on it. Does the TTC now have a minimum time between taps ?

Presto always had a 15 minute minimum. My card locked itself out when I tapped twice in 10 minutes at Union Station....missed a GO train on one platform, and out of pure habit tapped again at the second platform. Had to go to the ticket window to get it cleared, which cost me the second train.

I don't know how TTC handles this, but it's quite easy to transfer within 15 minutes, so one hopes they have this in hand.

- Paul

Presto always had a 15 minute minimum. My card locked itself out when I tapped twice in 10 minutes at Union Station....missed a GO train on one platform, and out of pure habit tapped again at the second platform. Had to go to the ticket window to get it cleared, which cost me the second train.

I don't know how TTC handles this, but it's quite easy to transfer within 15 minutes, so one hopes they have this in hand.

- Paul
I thought the GO 15 minute lock out was only at the same location...was not aware it was a don't tap anywhere type situation.

I had an odd experience today - I made a quick trip on the 510 to College. Spent 15 minutes getting a few things then hoped back on. Except - it would not allow me to tap the card. Every machine said denied even though it had 14 dollars on it. Does the TTC now have a minimum time between taps ?
I've heard it's a problem, if you tap back on the same car (which I've done pre-Presto ... I'm not many stops from Main. Occasionally I ride home on a car, spend 10-minutes at home, and go out again - on the same car.

Is it possible that it was exactly the same streetcar you were on earlier, heading back south from Spadina station?

Looking at my card, a trip home very early this morning. I transferred to 506 only 8 minutes after I first tapped on 504 (I'd almost forgotten just how fast the streetcar can go at 1 AM!)

upload_2016-1-21_23-31-50.png

Also interesting, that 1:30 AM is still the same day, as my trip a few hours earlier (Loyalty Trip number 2 - I wonder at what time in the night it resets itself).

I thought the GO 15 minute lock out was only at the same location...was not aware it was a don't tap anywhere type situation.
I've certainly tapped out of GO less than 15 minutes after I tapped in at a different station (between Union and Exhibition).

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-21_23-31-50.png
    upload_2016-1-21_23-31-50.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 593
No idea what happened here, but the net result is the TTC missed out on a fare. This was a trip from Queen and Bathurst to Spadina and Harbord. Then later Harbord and Spadina to King and Shaw.

Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 6.42.04 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 6.42.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 6.42.04 PM.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 506
Also interesting, that 1:30 AM is still the same day, as my trip a few hours earlier (Loyalty Trip number 2 - I wonder at what time in the night it resets itself.

Day passes are currently valid until 5:30 am the following day. Perhaps this was included in the ttc fare rules for Presto

No idea what happened here, but the net result is the TTC missed out on a fare. This was a trip from Queen and Bathurst to Spadina and Harbord. Then later Harbord and Spadina to King and Shaw.
501-510-510-504?

So, is the issue, that that the third tap is a different route than the first tap, and it's not doing the search properly, or is the 0 indicating a data problem, so it might not have had the route number at all on that machine. I'm guessing the latter, and it's just plain good luck. I'm not seeing that many 0's.

Quick question: Did the TTC patch up the timed transfer loophole? I was starting to get used to taking a streetcar because I could go a few blocks to my destination and back on a single fare when I wouldn't have done so before because of the high price for a short distance.

Quick question: Did the TTC patch up the timed transfer loophole? I was starting to get used to taking a streetcar because I could go a few blocks to my destination and back on a single fare when I wouldn't have done so before because of the high price for a short distance.
Yes, and no. They've added a check, so you don't re-enter the subway, or use the same route a second time.

Conceivably though, if going from Gerrard/Broadview to King/Yonge, you could take the 504 one way, and then take the subway and 505 (or 506) home, if still under 2 hours.

Yes, and no. They've added a check, so you don't re-enter the subway, or use the same route a second time.

Conceivably though, if going from Gerrard/Broadview to King/Yonge, you could take the 504 one way, and then take the subway and 505 (or 506) home, if still under 2 hours.

Thanks. How about if I take Queen 501 from Spadina to the Eaton Centre and King 504 home to Spadina in under 2 hours?

With the new TTC faregates coming by the end of this year, how will you be able to pay your fare and enter the gates if you are using cash? When I was in the Netherlands, you input in an automated machine (like GO Transit) where you are travelling to, and you get a chip-ticket which you tap on the gate to enter and exit. Will the TTC use this method, or will there be a special gate that accepts coins? This might already have been considered since Metrolinx is looking at regional fare integration.

Back