News   Jul 15, 2024
 723     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 881     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 625     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

In Ottawa, which has Gen 2 Presto, the readers are just mounted on the vertical hand rail at the rear entrances, and on a horizontal bar on the front. I'm not sure how the connection works, whether it's inside the pole or if it's battery powered or what, but there are no visible cables connecting to it.

I find Presto lags more than other similar systems, in that it takes a second or two for the reader to read the card. I don't think it's a major issue though.

A minor issue, but it does lag and at the York Street Teamway this does cause lineups at the afternoon rush.

One of the problems is that it takes too long to stop showing the prior customers information. Most people want to put their card up while walking past the machine, which works, but then the machine continues to display the card info with the lights on for about three seconds. People in line tend to wait for it to turn off before tapping again, as it's unclear if you can tap on at that point. Add on top of this the 20% of people who get to the machine without their card ready, or they have it inside a backpack/purse/suitcase/etc... and just try holding that up to the machine at various angles until it reads, and you get average about five seconds per person, which is not enough when you have just four machines at the main entrance and 200 people arriving per minute. I've never seen someone miss a train because of it, but it gets pretty harry when you randomly get three people in a row in the line all of whom fumble their cards or something.

A minor issue, but it does lag and at the York Street Teamway this does cause lineups at the afternoon rush.

One of the problems is that it takes too long to stop showing the prior customers information. Most people want to put their card up while walking past the machine, which works, but then the machine continues to display the card info with the lights on for about three seconds. People in line tend to wait for it to turn off before tapping again, as it's unclear if you can tap on at that point. Add on top of this the 20% of people who get to the machine without their card ready, or they have it inside a backpack/purse/suitcase/etc... and just try holding that up to the machine at various angles until it reads, and you get average about five seconds per person, which is not enough when you have just four machines at the main entrance and 200 people arriving per minute. I've never seen someone miss a train because of it, but it gets pretty harry when you randomly get three people in a row in the line all of whom fumble their cards or something.

The Generation 2 Ottawa presto readers are faster.

Compared to the Presto readers on GO network, the small Generation 2 readers are small pods on poles, so you can plaster an area with lots more readers, more cheaply. This compensates greatly.

Anybody else noticed the mistake in the following statement:

Officially, there should be 75 stations by the end of 2016.

I would think you are getting a hint as to their actual expected in service date for the 6 new stations on YUS.....and it is after 2016.

The other interesting thing is that a large part of the sped up on streetcar deployment is using machines intitially targetted at the new streetcars and deploying them in the legacy cars. The image is that they have all these presto readers with nowhere install them......it leads me to think they expect the delays on the streetcar delivery to be quite long.

Anybody else noticed the mistake in the following statement:

Officially, there should be 75 stations by the end of 2016.

it just means TTC is not optimistic about finished those new stations on time. Surprise.

it just means TTC is not optimistic about finished those new stations on time. Surprise.
It means, that the person in charge of roll-out isn't responsible for the 6 new stations, so isn't thinking about it. That's all.

Presumably the new stations will get the new fare gates, and the money is coming from a completely different pot of money and a different department.

Well we'll be able to pay with our smartphones and watches (if you're into that kinda thing), so we're ahead of most cities in that regard.

actually I think part of the speed up deal is that all that is being installed is currently available presto features and enhancements put off to future releases:

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/aboutus/mediarelations/news/20150121_Metrolinx_TTC_Joint_PRESTO_Rollout.aspx said:
Focusing the initial deployment on base PRESTO services currently available on the other transit services, and adding other functions, such as payment by credit and debit cards, to subsequent releases.

actually I think part of the speed up deal is that all that is being installed is currently available presto features and enhancements put off to future releases:
Presumably, given that cards and other devices were already going to be after full deployment. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see debit/credit payment on the fare vending machines before that - but that's really a different issue.

yeah, finally we will enter 2000, the new millennium!
Imagine the ultra modern technology of a fare card. The rest of the world will look at us in awe.

Yup....the exact snarkiness with which I approach this subject. :)

Back