News   May 10, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.7K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Problem is that technology is moving so fast that when PRESTO began design in the early 2000's a lot of tech in common use today simply didn't exist.. contactless was essentially a fantasy. Its the entire region the TTC is getting "second generation PRESTO" as it wants some of the more modern features such as credit card payments and NFC compatibility.

Tech in this sector is moving so quickly however by the time it gets installed it will already be out of date. by the time PRESTO is finally finished installation, wireless technologies will have advanced to the point where simply walking through the faregate is a possible way to pay.

I wonder if we could have saved a bunch of money if we just did an open fare system that just took credit cards and temporary cards sold at booths instead of requiring this whole PRESTO load/reload system to be created.

Problem is that technology is moving so fast that when PRESTO began design in the early 2000's a lot of tech in common use today simply didn't exist.. contactless was essentially a fantasy. Its the entire region the TTC is getting "second generation PRESTO" as it wants some of the more modern features such as credit card payments and NFC compatibility.

Tech in this sector is moving so quickly however by the time it gets installed it will already be out of date. by the time PRESTO is finally finished installation, wireless technologies will have advanced to the point where simply walking through the faregate is a possible way to pay.

True, but TTC playing catch up to decades of neglect definitely compounds the issue. Then again their redtape is no where near as long as ours

Contactless. So? That's very new in London.

Some Presto machines in TTC stations have taken credit/debit on trial since 2012 - http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2012/06/21/ttc_to_try_mobile_presto_payments_this_summer.html

Wasn't part of the Presto back office shut down last weekend so they could enable credit/debit when the TTC rollout starts in a few weeks?

We might be behind on payment cards, but we don't seem to be very far behind on contactless.

I agree with the sentiment that this all seems a bit slow and one generation behind but criticizing the ttc because they are behind on technology like NFC/phone payment is a bit of an exaggeration. The whole world is in the process of figuring this stuff out....geez, even the great technology god that is Apple just, finally, announced they will include NFC chips in their devices.

Now that we have POP on the streetcars without Presto, I have to say that it doesn't really matter to me. I've pretty much given up on it anyways and probably won't use it until I'm forced to however many years or decades in the future when tokens are finally phased out.

Now that we have POP on the streetcars without Presto, I have to say that it doesn't really matter to me. I've pretty much given up on it anyways and probably won't use it until I'm forced to however many years or decades in the future when tokens are finally phased out.
Personally, I think I lose too many tokens. Things are too small. They are better than the old aluminium ones, but I still find I've dropped one on the ground. I suspect occasionally I use one as a dime - I've certainly received them in my change as dimes (though not since they phased out the aluminum).

I'll be happy to not need tokens. Or to have to be running to buy some. Which reminds me - have to get more child's tickets - sigh.

Problem is that technology is moving so fast that when PRESTO began design in the early 2000's a lot of tech in common use today simply didn't exist.. contactless was essentially a fantasy.

Really?
Shanghai metro has been using its contactless rechargeable smart card since 1999, for both subways and buses (the machine even show the balance every time you tap).
Tourists can also purchase a single ride magnetic card at every subway station as well (in which case you will need to insert back to the system upon exit).

Really?
Shanghai metro has been using its contactless rechargeable smart card since 1999, for both subways and buses (the machine even show the balance every time you tap).
Tourists can also purchase a single ride magnetic card at every subway station as well (in which case you will need to insert back to the system upon exit).
He's talking about credit/debit/phone. I think we all know that a lot of contactless smart card installations started at about that time, around the world.

Really?

He's talking about credit/debit/phone. I think we all know that a lot of contactless smart card installations started at about that time, around the world.

The first smart card transit system in Canada was the STO in Gatineau, Quebec who introduced their Passe-Partout Plus card in 1998. Interestingly enough the Passe-Partout Plus technology was replaced with a new version in 2012-13 to, among other things, be compatable with PRESTO due to the number of riders that move between Gatineau and Ottawa. Residents of Ontario are banned from purchasing those cards, and residents of Quebec who happen to have a PRESTO card cannot use it in Ottawa (Ottawa's PRESTO readers actually have special programming on them to reject any cards registered to Quebec addresses) to comply the existing fare integration policies between the two cities, which uses province of residency as the rule. These restrictions interestingly enough have some implications in Toronto; namely, a Quebecois who travels to Toronto often enough to buy a PRESTO card may get quite the shock to find their card rejected in Ottawa if they happen to try it.

On that topic, I think the fare integration model used in Ottawa-Gatineau could serve as a foundation for one in the GTHA. In those two cities, there is full free transfers, but there's a rule that if you want to purchase a monthly pass, you have to buy it in your city of residence--you can't shop around to find a cheaper one in the other city.

Last edited:
So if someone in Gatineau buys a Presto card, they can't use it in Ottawa? Shouldn't Presto figure out the fare automatically if starting a trip in Gatineau or Ottawa?

A similar situation can be seen in Woodbridge. Because of fare integration, if you tap on to a Zum bus, you are only charged the Brampton Transit fare of $2.80, even if your origin and destination are in York Region. However if you tap on to a Viva or YRT bus, you are charged a YRT fare of $3.30. I don't know if you transfer from a Zum bus to a YRT bus if you are charged an extra 50 cents or if it is free though.

I only discovered this a few years ago, during the YRT strike. I would drive to the giant parking lot at Highway 7 and Interchange Way and take either the Zum or YRT route 20. This may have changed since.

So if someone in Gatineau buys a Presto card, they can't use it in Ottawa?

Yes. They have to buy STO fare media instead.

Its because they don't want fare prices tied to where you're getting on the bus... they want them tied to residency. Ontario residents pay Ottawa fare in both cities, Quebec residents pay Gatineau fare in both cities.

Yes. They have to buy STO fare media instead.

Its because they don't want fare prices tied to where you're getting on the bus... they want them tied to residency. Ontario residents pay Ottawa fare in both cities, Quebec residents pay Gatineau fare in both cities.

That is just plane goofy

No, that is just bus goofy.

Back