News   Apr 18, 2024
 628     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.4K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

Gee!!! what did you just write?? That no small issue if the facts say the opposite.

Huh? I just asked a question of clarification.

I'm not sure what the poster was referring to. The poster didn't quote the post to which they were referring.

I made no statements containing facts with which anyone can disagree.

ML's latest Board Meeting is later this week. Nothing surprising on the agenda .

One interesting tidbit is a statement that ML is looking at how to continue its work-from-home procedures for its own staff after COVID is over. One has to assume that they see their customers doing the same, with impacts on ridership. The report on preparation for return to service gives very little in specifics about ridership projections and/or dates for service upgrades.

The capital spending summary shows no changes in baseline from the last quarter. There is now a line item for Smarttrack stations, with $1.463B as the baseline budget.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 3.17.12 PM.png

Good lord $12.2 Billion for the Eglinton Line? Well we're definitely not getting good value for money that's for sure.

Sorry - I cut off the footnoting. Keep in mind that number includes financing and 30 years of operation and maintenance. P3 numbers look scary, compared to what we are used to, but it’s a long term number.

- Paul

^Well that definitely makes things more digestible. Still not good value for money, but much better than I thought.

RFI-2020-LCLO-066 - RFI-2020-LCLO-066 : Bus Route Operator

Metrolinx looking at contracting out some bus routes to a private operator?

To support progress towards the strategic objectives defined in the Regional Transportation Plan (RTP), Metrolinx is considering Alternative Service Delivery Arrangements and evaluating the role of partnerships to support the agency’s current and future bus service delivery. The objective of the partnerships is to foster the long-term provision of customer centered intercommunity transportation options that are commercially viable for the Partners and reduce costs to Metrolinx.
Currently, Metrolinx is seeking to understand the viability of leveraging partnership models to deliver some regional bus services. This RFI is intended to gather valuable industry feedback on specific aspects of possible partnership arrangements and agreement terms.
Metrolinx is therefore seeking to understand how Alternative Service Delivery Arrangements could assist in providing the optimal overall regional bus service in the GTHA within the agency's mandate. Alternative Service Delivery Arrangements may be implemented through the delivery of individual routes or entire bundles with selected Partner(s).

RFI-2020-LCLO-066 - RFI-2020-LCLO-066 : Bus Route Operator

Metrolinx looking at contracting out some bus routes to a private operator?

This could be comparatively innocuous, to see if there are ways to extend small scale services to outlying, more rural areas, such as through van-sized transport, or even integration with taxis.

OR

It could be a step towards the wholesale privatization of bus services seen in London, UK.

I'm open to the former, but would assertively oppose the latter.

This could be comparatively innocuous, to see if there are ways to extend small scale services to outlying, more rural areas, such as through van-sized transport, or even integration with taxis.

OR

It could be a step towards the wholesale privatization of bus services seen in London, UK.

I'm open to the former, but would assertively oppose the latter.
Talk in 2007 was moving to London UK model over time and that has change much since then. This applies to all systems connected to Metrolinx. Even TTC looking at doing this now.

Talk in 2007 was moving to London UK model over time and that has change much since then. This applies to all systems connected to Metrolinx. Even TTC looking at doing this now.
What challenges would be involved with getting this past the TTC?

I will say as a general comment: Metrolinx and the TTC are both losing a lot of institutional knowledge thanks to outsourcing. This is an unfortunate situation. Once institutional knowledge is gone, it's gone for good. I'm really not comfortable with our transport system depending on a small handful of external firms.

I will say as a general comment: Metrolinx and the TTC are both losing a lot of institutional knowledge thanks to outsourcing. This is an unfortunate situation. Once institutional knowledge is gone, it's gone for good. I'm really not comfortable with our transport system depending on a small handful of external firms.
TTC was created by the province and the province can take it away. 113 would be Union busting like other systems seeing the same thing. 113 would have a say in TTC sub contracting routes.

Outsourcing has its good and bad points depending on what been looked at at the time.

I'm sure there would be a huge fight with the TTC's union. Who knows what successor rights the TTC union might claim.

While this was likely a gleam in the eye of the incoming Ford government, now that they have lost a few battles and are a bit less headstrong, I don't see it as a hill they would fight over, at least not head on.

Remember when Mike Harris was going to privatise Hydro? He backed away in the end, for various reasons. Hydro One did eventually go private, but under a different government and for different less ideological reasons. And with plenty of subsequent fallout. LCBO, Beer Store, garbage collection..... same dynamics.

I could see it happen gradually, or partially, over time. As a ferinstance, suppose the shuttle that replaces the SRT until the Line 2 extension is ready were set up as a contract operation on the premise that it's a temporary situation. Maybe some Rocket routes could be a separate brand (Albuquerque is an example of this, inner/outer routes have different branding).

- Paul

Back