News   Jul 12, 2024
 870     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 779     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 327     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

Not sure where to put this but Toronto Terminal Railways is on this list. I don't think it's an official list, rather Matt making an assumption based on the data cc @smallspy @crs1026

That list is of EMPLOYERS NOT Workplaces. Canada Post, City of Toronto, Sobeys and many others have multiple workplaces and only the one(s) with 5+ covid cases would be closed.

I had never heard of Array marketing but it is described as: "Array is a provider of in-store marketing services for the retailers and brand manufacturers. It specializes in delivering retail merchandising, POP displays, open service systems, floorstands, and retail fixtures." i.e. I think this means they send their staff out to work in OTHER companies - I assume it would be the OTHER company who would be closed???

Last edited:
How many employees does Toronto Terminal Railways have these days? I thought Metrolinx had got most of their assets. Who owns them now?

Some employers appear on that list twice. This is a list of outbreaks, not a list of employers. So surely each of those does represent a location.

On Google maps, I saw a TTR location near Delta BC. I assumed this was an error, but upon looking at streetview, the sign on the building was indeed the Toronto TTR logo.

Metrolinx work in 2021+ east of Union

1619800134216.png

See: https://www.thestar.com/local-guelp...than-double-with-two-way-all-day-service.html

Bringing two-way, all-day GO train service to Guelph will result in more than double the number of people taking the train.

That is according to the preliminary design business case for service expansion on the Kitchener GO line, released Friday by provincial transit agency Metrolinx. The report lays out a number of scenarios, ranging from leaving things as they are to the full implementation of two-way service between Kitchener and Toronto.

According to the report, Guelph would see 285,000 annual boardings by 2041 should things be left as they are; however, if two-way service is implemented and the grade separation at Silver Junction in Georgetown is completed, that number goes up to 666,200, an increase of 133.8 per cent.

^^^^ That's not much of an accomplishment. That still means just 1600 trips a day or 800 people a day serving a county that will probably have 350,000 people by then as it already has 250,000. That hardly qualifies as a lousy city bus route.

^^^^ That's not much of an accomplishment. That still means just 1600 trips a day or 800 people a day serving a county that will probably have 350,000 people by then as it already has 250,000. That hardly qualifies as a lousy city bus route.

Hmmm;

According to the 2016 Transportation Tomorrow Survey, there were only 1,100 commuters going from Guelph to Toronto by any mode.

Add in Guelph to Peel and you get (2,100) and you get 3,300 commuter trips daily or 6,600 boardings.

Based on the above (not factoring in any population growth) you're talking a 25% modal split. I don't think that's all that bad.

Lets add, I assume those estimates are based on GO retaining its current fare structure.

If we move to more a zone system, which I expect we will, and the overall price drops some; I expect the GO numbers can be higher.

For people's interest, I'll drop the whole matrix for AM Peak here:

1619813782444.png

I see intercity bus service expansion in GO Transit...

Greyhound shutting down all bus service in Canada permanently

From link.

Company will no longer offer domestic service, but American affiliate will still offer cross-border routes
Greyhound Canada is permanently cutting all bus routes across the country, shutting down the intercity bus carrier's operations in Canada after nearly a century of service.

The motor coach company said its remaining routes in Ontario and Quebec will cease permanently at midnight Thursday.

Its American affiliate, Greyhound Lines, Inc., will continue to operate cross-border routes to Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver once the border reopens.

As I said elsewhere, given the distances that Greyhound traveled, I would much rather see rail service over bus service. There was a reason the Northlander was popular.

Back