THE RIGHT
TRACK
Connecting Communities
with Regional Rail

See PDF at this link.

See also BLOGTO article at link.

1617050244-trillium1.jpg

View attachment 308850
Note, it's a "Toronto Board of Trade" idea.
As usual BlogTO gets it wrong. Sure we are getting a frequent Regional Rail network with GO RER, but not in the way the TRBOT proposes. There'll likely be something different instead.

As usual BlogTO gets it wrong. Sure we are getting a frequent Regional Rail network with GO RER, but not in the way the TRBOT proposes. There'll likely be something different instead.

Especially after the switch to GO Expansion with the conservative government in power. They've slowly been watering down GO RER. Less service, no fare integration (as of yet, and removal of the existing integration) removal of some planned stations, and using the bi levels and electric locos on the Lakeshore Lines etc.

I'm not too concerned however. They have agreed on catenary wires for power and are still double tracking lines. This isn't like the change to a subway from an LRT; the nice thing about all this is that the plans from TRBOT can still be added on in the future.

We need to focus on electrifying and double tracking the system at the moment anyways.

Especially after the switch to GO Expansion with the conservative government in power. They've slowly been watering down GO RER. Less service, no fare integration (as of yet, and removal of the existing integration) removal of some planned stations, and using the bi levels and electric locos on the Lakeshore Lines etc.

I'm not too concerned however. They have agreed on catenary wires for power and are still double tracking lines. This isn't like the change to a subway from an LRT; the nice thing about all this is that the plans from TRBOT can still be added on in the future.

We need to focus on electrifying and double tracking the system at the moment anyways.
Which planned stations were removed? The only ones I can think of from the top of my head are A) Lawrence East (which was removed because SSE made that redundant) and B) Kirby (which was stupid).

I don't get why there are so many services terminating at a Cherry station. There's not even supposed to be a Cherry station. And there's a Sherbourne station between Cherry and Union? Seems a bit excessive. It's not even 3km from Broadview to Union, but with 4 stations: Union, Sherbourne, Cherry, East Harbour...not sure what's happening here.

edit: oops didn't realize there was a board of trade thread discussing the idea already.

Last edited:
I don't get why there are so many services terminating at a Cherry station. There's not even supposed to be a Cherry station. And there's a Sherbourne station between Cherry and Union? Seems a bit excessive. It's not even 3km from Broadview to Union, but with 4 stations: Union, Sherbourne, Cherry, East Harbour...not sure what's happening here.

edit: oops didn't realize there was a board of trade thread discussing the idea already.
As a note, Metrolinx was looking at 2 platforms for Cherry St and that was raised during the Cherry St EA since they sat on the EA team. RH line was never to service the stations which I thought was dumb and said so at the meetings.

No need for Sherbourne Stations and never been on the table for anything pertaining to the Waterfront.

Back