News   Apr 25, 2024
 323     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 999     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

This reads like satire: "Deciding on a new icon was no easy task. Over 150 unique symbols were floated, including letters, abstract symbols before landing on the ‘T’."
"We even looked at roman numerals and special characters, but in the end we simply copied an internationally used symbol for transit and pretend that we came up with it. Oh, and we will not disclose how much we overpaid for these consultants."

You want subway and this is what Metrolinx say it will cost compare to other mode.
1581609283004.png

You want subway and this is what Metrolinx say it will cost compare to other mode.
View attachment 230798
I wonder where they get the 25-year financing costs for the subway. Capital, operating, and rehab seem normal, but if the 25-year costs are accurate, then the entire TTC system would cost 22.5 billion dollars to finance (not maintain or rehabilitate) over 25 years. What is "financing" supposed to mean? Also, if we're looking at the At-Grade LRT costs, they are closer to 300-400M per km.

I wonder where they get the 25-year financing costs for the subway. Capital, operating, and rehab seem normal, but if the 25-year costs are accurate, then the entire TTC system would cost 22.5 billion dollars to finance (not maintain or rehabilitate) over 25 years. What is "financing" supposed to mean? Also, if we're looking at the At-Grade LRT costs, they are closer to 300-400M per km.
One hand said this, the other said this and someone in the backroom saying it this. You are dealing with a clown company that doesn't know which end is up.

February ML Board Agenda is on line. Interesting (but very long, I haven't had time to digest) document on priorities. Capital report is even skimpier than has been the case to date.

- Paul

The interesting bit, so far, for me, in the 'Advancing Transit Priorities' item.

1581614095259.png

1581614121508.png

Also, from the Bomanville Business Case:

Analysis of the approach to the GM Spur bridge determined that a grade of 3.5 per cent would be required to allow for eastbound GO Trains to successfully incline from the GO Subdivision at Oshawa GO Station to tie into the GM Spur. The current maximum grade on the GO Rail network is 2.0 per cent. An incline of 3.5 per cent would need to be reduced to enable the operation of either a 10 or 12-car consists. If a shallower grade is not achievable then eight or six-car consists should be explored for operation on this alignment. Further study on grading, other enabling works to the GM Spur bridge or the operation of shorter consists should be pursued if this option is selected for further development. In addition, using the GM Spur bridge to cross Highway 401 will require slow speed movements. The slower speed crossing of Highway 401 is a combination of approaching the GM Spur bridge and also stopping at the Thornton’s Corner East station site.

The interesting bit, so far, for me, in the 'Advancing Transit Priorities' item.

View attachment 230806

View attachment 230807

Analysis of the approach to the GM Spur bridge determined that a grade of 3.5 per cent would be required to allow for eastbound GO Trains to successfully incline from the GO Subdivision at Oshawa GO Station to tie into the GM Spur. The current maximum grade on the GO Rail network is 2.0 per cent. An incline of 3.5 per cent would need to be reduced to enable the operation of either a 10 or 12-car consists. If a shallower grade is not achievable then eight or six-car consists should be explored for operation on this alignment. Further study on grading, other enabling works to the GM Spur bridge or the operation of shorter consists should be pursued if this option is selected for further development. In addition, using the GM Spur bridge to cross Highway 401 will require slow speed movements. The slower speed crossing of Highway 401 is a combination of approaching the GM Spur bridge and also stopping at the Thornton’s Corner East station site.

Finch East should be LRT.

View attachment 230806

View attachment 230807

If I am understanding this correctly, Metrolinx places the Sheppard West extension as a higher priority than the East extension? And if so, why is the FWLRT East extension a high priority then? Shouldn't the west extension be one?

Edit, got an opportunity to read the thing. Finch east is a higher priority, but this caught my eye:
Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 1.01.51 PM.png

Apparently stouffville and Barrie won't get 15 minute service.

Last edited:
If I am understanding this correctly, Metrolinx places the Sheppard West extension as a higher priority than the East extension? And if so, why is the FWLRT East extension a high priority then? Shouldn't the west extension be one?
A Sheppard West-Wilson Yard connection could have been mighty useful this morning!

Oh absolutely, Idk why that doesn't have the priority over Sheppard East, and especially Finch East.
Among other reasons, the costs of getting past Bathurst St. Significant redevelopment of Downsview Airport would likely be a pre-requisite to justifying the spend. As a purely intra-416 project it has difficulty getting political capital in comparison to projects nearer/straddling the 416-905 boundary.

Back