News   May 16, 2024
 306     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 429     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 508     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

Maybe the PC's of the past but I still feel like todays PC's are at least slightly more aware that Transit is Important hence them not cancelling AD2W etc.
I've seen no indication of that.

Remember just how stupid Doug Ford is. How stupid is Doug Ford? Doug Ford is SO stupid, he wanted to cancel the SRT (Line 3) renovation, because the tracks interfered with cars at the level crossings with roads!

I've seen no indication of that.

Remember just how stupid Doug Ford is. How stupid is Doug Ford? Doug Ford is SO stupid, he wanted to cancel the SRT (Line 3) renovation, because the tracks interfered with cars at the level crossings with roads!
Remind me where Line 3 has level crossing?

Remind me where Line 3 has level crossing?
It doesn't. That's the whole point. They went into a debate in council, trying to claim that the Line 3 conversion to LRT should be cancelled and replaced by subway, using the level crossings as an excuse.

That's how little Doug Ford knows about transit.

It doesn't. That's the whole point. They went into a debate in council, trying to claim that the Line 3 conversion to LRT should be cancelled and replaced by subway, using the level crossings as an excuse.

That's how little Doug Ford knows about transit.
+ to your last three posts. Dissolution of Metrolinx is a very real possibility, albeit a caretaker team would be left in place. Fitz is being cynical, negative, condescending and spiteful. And I couldn't agree more save to say he's being too nice.

Exhibit A:
Subway lines to Pickering, Markham, in the long-term, says Doug Ford
By KRISTIN RUSHOWYQueen's Park Bureau
BEN SPURRTransportation Reporter

Thu., June 21, 2018
Commuters from the 905 should have an easy ride into downtown Toronto, says Premier-designate Doug Ford whose long-term plan is for subways to the suburbs.

Speaking in Pickering Thursday morning, Ford said he’d like to extend the subway from Toronto’s city core to Pickering and Markham.

“We love subways, rapid underground transit — unlike the LRT that they rip up two lanes of road traffic and they clunk along the street, antiquated system,” said Ford, referring to above-ground light rail transit trains.

“We’re going to focus on being the most modern transit system in the world. We’re going to build rapid underground transit that’s going to extend not only in Toronto ...(but) so folks in Pickering will eventually be able to hop on a subway and get downtown Toronto.

“People of Markham and the outlying areas, over time, will be on a subway to make sure that we get traffic moving.”

The incoming premier did not provide any further details. However, PC spokesperson Simon Jefferies said “Doug Ford wants to build a state of the art transit system across the GTA, which includes looking at all options for extending transit lines to regions outside of Toronto.”

Pickering is already linked to downtown Toronto by GO Transit, and the number of passengers using the service falls far below levels that would normally justify a subway.

The threshold for a subway is 10,000 people per hour; the GO station in Pickering sees 4,300 users per weekday, and the Markham station 875.

However, GO’s Lakeshore East line as a whole has a weekly average of almost 50,000 riders, and the Stouffville line which runs through Markham has a weekly average of 17,669 riders.

A subway out to Pickering would be costly; according to the TTC, the cost of extending into York Region, its most recent expansion, was roughly $380 million per kilometre.

Downtown Pickering is about 17 kilometres from the Scarborough Town Centre, where a one-stop subway extension from Kennedy Station is planned.

New Democrat Gilles Bisson said Ford needs to “take transit seriously” and come up with a realistic plan.

“Ontarians deserve affordable, reliable and dignified public transit,” said Bisson, who was re-elected in the Timmins area. “Mr. Ford’s confusing proclamation (Thursday) that he will build subways everywhere in Ontario is not a real plan to invest in the services that everyday families need, and it undermines real transit plans and priorities.”

However, local politicians lauded the move for their booming communities.

Markham Mayor Frank Scarpitti tweeted that “gridlock in the GTA leads to lost productivity and costs billions. Pleased to hear Premier-designate (Doug Ford) is committed to building a subway system to Markham,” later noting that “York Region is Canada’s fastest growing large municipality, home to nearly 1.2 million people.”
https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...-markham-in-the-long-term-says-doug-ford.html

I wrote yesterday (in this or a related forum) "Subway to Sudbury". Silly me, I forgot to add that it would be the one stop extension from Vaughan.

You assume there still will be a Metrolinx.

Last time the PCs got elected, they simply eliminated the provincial agency entirely.
Metrolinx is Greater Toronto Transportation Authority rebranded, and GTTA was formed in 2006. How did the PCs eliminate anything when they were ousted three years prior?

Metrolinx is Greater Toronto Transportation Authority rebranded, and GTTA was formed in 2006. How did the PCs eliminate anything when they were ousted three years prior?
Fake News Dude. Your imagination is being confused for fact. Conned by the Cons...
GO Transit was created and funded by the provincial government in 1967 as Government of Ontario Transit (hence the acronym 'GO') and was financed entirely by the Province of Ontario until the end of 1997. The province subsidized any operating costs that were not recovered through revenue, and all capital costs. Responsibility for the system was then transferred to the Toronto Area Transportation Operating Authority (TATOA) and later to the Greater Toronto Services Board as part of the province's 'downloading' initiative, before finally returning to the province as a Crown Agencyunder Greater Toronto Transit Authority (GTTA).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_GO_Transit
GO Transit also went through three major reconfigurations. In January 1997, the province announced it would transfer funding responsibility for GO Transit to GTHA municipalities. The Greater Toronto Services Board, composed of regional municipality chairs, city mayors and municipal councillors, was created as a municipal agency in January 1999, and GO Transit was transferred as an arm of this agency in August 1999. However, then-Premier Mike Harris announced the province would re-assume funding responsibility for GO Transit two years later, and this was completed with the abolition of the Greater Toronto Services Board on January 1, 2002.[19][20][21] The Greater Toronto Transportation Authority was created in 2006, with the responsibilities of co-ordinating, planning, financing and developing integrated transit in the GTHA. This agency would then become merged with GO Transit in 2009 under the name Metrolinx. GO Transit would continue as an operating division alongside two other major initiatives: the Union Pearson Express and Presto card.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GO_Transit#History

Lots more on-line. Details on request, the gist of @nfitz claim is correct. Municipalities and various Acts of the Legislature are completely the creatures of the Provincial Gov't.

Toronto could be eliminated as an entity by QP. QP created the Toronto Act, they can take it away on a whim. I just hope they have Dougie on controlling drugs from the backroom boys. Doug is a Slug, and hopefully the puppeteers in the background, manipulative as they are, stop him from destroying everything and anything.

Subways to Sudbury folks! The People have spoken!

Last edited:

I assumed nfits was referring to the complete defunding of GO Transit by Harris. Their budget went to $0 from the province and municipalities were expected to pick up the slack. That policy was partially reversed by Harris before leaving government (largely due to screaming from the banks).

I assumed nfits was referring to the complete defunding of GO Transit by Harris.
The Progressive Conservatives not only cut the entire budget, they also re-organized it legally transferring it from the province; it was no longer a provincial agency.

After the Progressive Conservatives had the noses rubbed in just how badly they screwed up, they flip-flopped and recreated Go Transit as the "Greater Toronto Transit Authority " with the Go Transit Act, 2001.

I'm surprised how quickly people forget.

History lesson of the day:

o6xkXHe.png

The letters G and O stands for Government of Ontario.

Circa 1967.

Many Ontarians are unaware. While GO was once thrown around like a football that doubled as a hot potato, upfield and downfield, it is still spelled G and O born of Government of Ontario roots.

upload_2018-6-22_12-21-1.png

Quiz:
Q: What does the letters of "GO Transit" stand for?
A: Government of Ontario Transit​

GO Transit was born by the Progressive Conservative Party.

The sitting provincial party was conservatives for the entire 1960s.

They were the ones who started GO Transit. The same provincial party as Ford.

Class is dismissed.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-22_12-21-1.png
    upload_2018-6-22_12-21-1.png
    932.1 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
It also was the Progressive Conservatives under Premier Bill Davis who stopped the Spadina Expressway at Lawrence, later down to Eglinton. BTW. John Tory was principal secretary (a senior aid) to Bill Davis around that time (see link).

problem is, Ford like Trump is a populist leader. A lot of his policies are radical and are not supported entirely by the majority of the party so i wouldnt say hes a true PC... hell he doesnt even have ANY MPP exp so by all means
has no idea what hes getting in to.

problem is, Ford like Trump is a populist leader. A lot of his policies are radical and are not supported entirely by the majority of the party so i wouldnt say hes a true PC... hell he doesnt even have ANY MPP exp so by all means
has no idea what hes getting in to.

Can everyone please move this discussion to the Provincial Election thread and get back to discussing Metrolinx.

Thank you

Back