News   Apr 25, 2024
 346     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

I had to pinch myself to make sure I was reading that right. What a strange story.
Apparently North Korea does thousands of these worldwide spray attacks daily in the hope of eventually getting into someone's systems. Part of the reason is to steal funds so their government can use the cash. It's easier for them to get a collection of a bit of funds here and there, compared to one massive attack on a company. Their government has to find tricky ways to gain funds due to all of the sanctions that have been imposed on them. We tend to bash Metrolinx all the time, but at least we know their IT systems are up to date and have adequate defenses.

They would be better off going after companies like Bell, as i'm sure their systems have absolutely zero defense since they cant even keep basic customer information safe.

I had to pinch myself to make sure I was reading that right. What a strange story.
They were looking to get the details on the GO Transit uniforms. Gives the NK military look a Western dash.
They would be better off going after companies like Bell, as i'm sure their systems have absolutely zero defense since they cant even keep basic customer information safe.
And rig the machine code to get their Quarter back too. (Early pre-digital, and even some post digital telephone machine code was executed in tones.)(Pardon the "executed in tones" reference)

Seriously, you could hold a tone emitting device to the mouthpiece of pay phones to make the phone do certain functions, one of them being returning the coin you just inserted. The coin was held there until the call was finished and the receiver returned to the cradle.

This is the real and cunning reason North Korea promotes their musical ensembles for propaganda purposes. Think of all the Quarters they can get from surreptitious serenades in the Call Boxes of the West!

It would undermine the currency if done on a massive scale...

Last edited:
METROLINX DESIGN REVIEW PANEL
2017 CALL FOR NEW MEMBERS

Closing date: Friday February 2, 2018

Established in 2012, the Metrolinx Design Review Panel (MDRP) in part of a multi-pronged strategy to integrate design excellence into its significant capital investments. The goal is to build upon a tradition of excellence in both technical and functional design by focusing on architecture, urban design, and landscape architecture to promote a consistent and elevated customer experience.
The approach includes:
• integrating design excellence into corporate procurement and project evaluations;
• ensuring appropriate design guidelines are in place to direct consultants, staff, and decision-makers; and
• a corporate design review process, including a design review panel comprised of subject matter experts.
Metrolinx is implementing the largest expansion of a regional transportation network in North America. To support this program we are looking to expand our roster of panelists. The MDRP is seeking seven (7) new full members and four (4) adjunct members:
• Architect
• Architect (specializing in transportation)
• Landscape Architect (2)
• Urban Designer/Planner (Architect, Landscape Architect or Planner)
• Sustainability Professional
• Civil Engineer
All applicants are required to meet the following qualifications:
• Excellence in design as demonstrated through leadership in proposed and built projects
• A minimum of 8 years relevant professional experience
• Membership in a relevant professional associations based Ontario or equivalent in other jurisdictions
• Ability to provide critical and objective comments and contribute to dialogue that furthers the level of excellence in submitted projects
• Ability to consistently attend MDRP meetings
• Ability to acknowledge any conflict of interests as per MDRP Terms of Reference.

The time commitment for all full Panel members is approximately monthly for a 2-3 hour per session. Each meeting is focused on a single project or a small group of related projects. Adjunct members will be expected to participate in up to four (4) meetings per year. The term for each Panel member is three (3) years. All MDRP meetings are currently planned to be held at the 97 Front Street West offices of Metrolinx.
The objective of the Metrolinx Design Review Panel is to address quality, consistency and integration of all facets of design excellence across all Metrolinx programs to ensure an elevated customer experience through design excellence, and ensure a unified and recognizable regional connected transportation network. The program is a key component in Metrolinx’s build program.
To apply by February 2, 2018, candidates are required to submit the following:
• Covering letter explaining your interest in participating in the Metrolinx Design Review Panel and your interest in Metrolinx projects
• A CV covering your qualifications and experience
• A document showing no more than five (5) examples of relevant work or projects.
Address submissions to Monique Cadogan at monique.cadogan@metrolinx.com
For a digital copy of the MDRP Terms of Reference address inquiry to Monique Cadogan at monique.cadogan@metrolinx.com

There is another Metrolinx townhall on February 26th. From an email:

Join Metrolinx CEO Phil Verster and Senior Management Team members February 26 in-person or online for Metrolinx's second management town hall. This is your opportunity to ask questions about Metrolinx projects, services, regional transportation planning or anything top of mind for you.

We're taking questions in advance or live during the event. Submit a question and vote online now and/or register to attend or watch the livestream .

Thank you,
Metrolinx Engage team

Who here is going to go to the Metrolinx Town Hall to ask questions and participate directly? I'm going to be watching the live stream online. Oh, and my submitted question online is to top voted :D

This guy impersonating John Tory in the Livestream:
Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 7.31.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 7.32.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 7.34.05 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 7.31.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 7.31.33 PM.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 310
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 7.32.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 7.32.37 PM.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 318
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 7.34.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 7.34.05 PM.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 282
From Streetsblog, at this link:

Boston’s Best Bet for Better Transit: Modernizing Commuter Rail

Boston commuter rail has the pieces for an expansive modern system. What it needs isn’t a big extension, but a fresh approach to service.

That’s according to a new report from local advocacy group Transit Matters.

The 398-mile MTBA Commuter Rail system carries an unremarkable 130,000 passengers a day. But that’s not surprising given its slow and limited service.

Transit Matters has proposed a $2-3 billion “Regional Rail” overhaul that would make it much more useful.

Here is what the group proposes:

1. Increase service
  2. Electrify the system
  3. Free Transfers
  4. North-south rail link
Parts sounds familiar.

Back