News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

This doesn't fit super well into any particular thread, but due to the big picture, I'm posting here:

I tried taking a local YRT bus home from Aurora GO station today after arriving on a rush hour train; I haven't taken the YRT home in a long time, and I was reminded why today. It took about 5 minutes of waiting plus 18 minutes travel time and 2 minutes of walking, for a total of 25 minutes from when I got off the train to when I got home. Compared to driving, which takes about 5 minutes total.

25 minutes for local transit vs 5 minutes for driving makes it ridiculous for people to take local transit to/from GO if they own a car, which most people in the suburbs do.

I dunno, 5min wait, 18min ride, 2min walk actually seems really good. And comparable to situations in some the most supposedly transit-friendliest parts of TO. Maybe the 18min ride might be a bit long, relatively. But 5min wait and 2min walk still sounds good.

I dunno, 5min wait, 18min ride, 2min walk actually seems really good. And comparable to situations in some the most supposedly transit-friendliest parts of TO. Maybe the 18min ride might be a bit long, relatively. But 5min wait and 2min walk still sounds good.

I actually think a 5min wait is excessive as this bus sits idling in the bus loop well before the train arrives, and it's there to take people coming off the train. A 2 minute wait after the train arrives should be more than enough for people to make their way to the bus. Not sure why it needs to sit there so long, and with its doors open during the winter--not so bad on a ~0C day like this but when it's -20C and windy it really sucks. The 2 minute wait should start when the train's doors open. Generally if the train is late, the buses hold for it then get moving more quickly, but when on schedule 5 minutes seems too long.

And an 18 minute ride isn't a lot, when you consider it in a vacuum of other choices, but compared to a 5 minute drive it is a lot, to me. The 2min walk is definitely good, I'm very lucky in that regard, living in a suburb and having a bus route that close to me for when I may need it. But again, you're asking people to take a 2 minute walk from the bus stop to their home, if they're very lucky to have a nearby bus route, when it's a few seconds' walk from their car into their home.

And overall to ask the typical commuter to spend approximately 40 minutes and $2 more every day to take local transit to/from GO rather than drive and park their car...why would anyone do that? I'm not even touching on the concern that, in the morning, maybe your bus is late and you miss your train, and have to take the next one if you even have a next one you can take. I'm talking about the perfect, best-case scenario, which today on the YRT was for me.

I think one good step to take would be to reduce the GO co-fare in the suburbs to $0. If offering parking is as expensive as GO says it is, and impossible to provide in sufficient quantities in the long term, then reducing a $1 co-fare to $0 ought to be reasonable in comparison. At least then you can tell people, hey, you'll save $X a year by connecting to local transit instead of driving--it'll take longer, but you'll save money, at least. I drive an electric car so my driving costs are very low, but for someone with a gas car, that can really add up. Compared to now, where if we call it 47 weeks (a generous figure for vacation, holidays, and illness) x 5 days of commuting, a daily GO commuter connecting with YRT will pay $470/year to take YRT to/from GO every day, and spend 156 hours/6.5 days more commuting each year. Some of that $470 will be offset from savings in car operation, but for many people, not significantly. However that time figure will likely be significantly higher for most people, with the routing of suburban bus routes through residential areas.

But credit or debit cards won't get you the discounts.

That's a software limitation rather than something in the hardware*. They could apply grouped trip discounts to any recorded ID and adjust the charge according, not just the IDS marked as a Presto card.

* Okay, so Metrolinx actually did put all the fee rules & math in the tap terminals but that is a mistake they're working to undo by converting to a backend system to run the calculations.

That's a software limitation rather than something in the hardware*. They could apply grouped trip discounts to any recorded ID and adjust the charge according, not just the IDS marked as a Presto card.

* Okay, so Metrolinx actually did put all the fee rules & math in the tap terminals but that is a mistake they're working to undo by converting to a backend system to run the calculations.
I would love to be able to tap my bank cards and also get the discounts. But that won't be the reality in the near future.

Not if they want to make everyone get a Presto card. Paying by debit or cred card will be like paying by cash now not as many people actually do, more people use tickets or token then use cash fares.

Not sure where you are getting that information but the readers only transmit and receive the info they don't process anything which is one of the reasons why the TTC has every reader connect to the network more often then other systems do.

Any more info on this? I was having discussions on just this with GO Transit staff at Union, had another massive screw-up with Presto Card that would make Kafka write another book were he alive. It got so bizarre as for Presto to accuse the GO staff at Union of....I won't go into it here...GO were lied to by Presto over my complaints, and in the end, GO supervisor decided to just close my two existing accounts ("they're beyond repair, Presto will just keep going in circles on this") refunded them, and opened a new card and account for me. I might detail in length in the Presto string....I'm left exhausted and perplexed by it all save for the incredibly helpful GO staff at Union, who completely understood the issue. I asked if I could divulge what they did in a forum, and GO Super stated: (gist) "Presto have divested themselves of the responsibilities of fixing issues to the vendor, and if they don't like what we have to do, then they better fix it. State all you like in a forum but use discretion".

It went as far as Presto erasing one of my accounts and stating by phone: "GO should never have issued that replacement card to you.". I won't quote the comments from the GO Super on that...lol. GO went deeper into the software GUI and stated: "It's still there, they've just hidden displaying it on your on-line account".

One of the complicating points was the need for the *card* to carry concession tags, *even if the on-line account indicates it or otherwise*! The stream of info exchanged when tapping doesn't include concession settings, or some other info. They have to be manually set on the card. Presto don't state that on-line or in their literature for replacement cards. In fact, they infer that everything is automatically carried over to the new card. It isn't.

Without offering subjective thoughts, my immediate impression is that Presto is incredibly pedantic compared to....well...almost any other kind of smart card.

Your info adds another dimension to pedanticity.

Last edited:
Not sure where you are getting that information but the readers only transmit and receive the info they don't process anything which is one of the reasons why the TTC has every reader connect to the network more often then other systems do.

V1 hardware works almost entirely offline. The data is stored on the card and calculations occur using a pricing table stored on the terminal. Most 905 transit agencies use these devices still. Yes, they do periodically tell a backend what happened (and the backend can overwrite/adjust the card) but 99% of taps have no real-time communication outside of the terminal/card interaction.

V2 hardware, an almost completely new design underneath the cover which was first introduced in Ottawa, has the option of working like V1 hardware for compatibility with legacy Presto cards but also has the option of online processing (that's how credit/debit/virtual cards will work).

Last edited:
It went as far as Presto erasing one of my accounts and stating by phone: "GO should never have issued that replacement card to you.".

This is a common problem. I have gotten incorrect information from GO employees a number of times. The training to GO staff is not been clear, or maybe frequent enough.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

This is a common problem. I have gotten incorrect information from GO employees a number of times. The training to GO staff is not been clear, or maybe frequent enough.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
GO were correct, Presto wasn't. And to top it all off, a month after the initial complaint went in to Presto, and after their promising to rectify it (I have it in writing, all transactions are on paper as well as digital) and after GO taking the initiative to correct the problem(s) three weeks ago, and then a week ago again (there were two distinct service tags and card accounts), I now get a call from (XXXXX) at Presto about ten minutes ago to tell me they've decided to terminate all outstanding accounts and open a new one. Which GO did a week ago. With a gratuite from GO for my inconvenience and costs. And a huge roll of their eyes. They see a lot, but this one took the plastic cake. That Presto arbitrarily hid an online account is a new one. And it's a form of theft. They justified doing so because "they both had the same user name". Go figure.

Btw: I'd offered to supply all written receipts, (beautifully written, btw, both the Super and the agent were former teachers...old school I guess, because they could write and print superlatively, but Presto refused. I offered to bring it to them in person. They refused.

It goes on and on. They make banks look like a friendly helping hand in comparison. And bank cards do a hell of a lot more than Presto ones do.

Last edited:
Brief article here on the arrival of the first MP54AC for GO Transit.

March 16, 2018
MotivePower Tier 4 diesel delivered to Go Transit
Written by Keith Barrow

WABTEC subsidiary MotivePower (MPI) has delivered the first new-build MP54AC locomotive for Toronto commuter rail operator Go Transit.

Go Transit is the launch customer for the MP54AC, which is equipped with two 16-cylinder Cummins QSK60 power units, each rated at 2.01MW and compliant with US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Tier 4 emissions standards.

The locomotives are being built at MPI’s plant in Boise, Idaho.

MPI previously rebuilt one of Go Transit’s existing fleet of 67 MP40PH-3C locomotives to the MP54AC specification, and this locomotive returned to service in Toronto in December 2015. Go Transit had initially planned to upgrade 10 MP40PH-3Cs, but subsequently opted for new-build MP54ACs.

IMG_20180326_112641.jpg
Grocery pickup at Oakville GO Station

Attachments

• IMG_20180326_112641.jpg
    IMG_20180326_112641.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:

From the above article:

Seas of parking

For decades the standard GO rail business model was simple: build a station at a spot convenient to major roads and add free parking to attract passengers who might otherwise drive into Toronto.

For a long time the model was uncontroversial. Cheap land was plentiful, sprawling parking lots were a suburban norm and local transit agencies were too meagre to act as meaningful feeder systems for GO rail.

Over the decades GO, which is now overseen by Metrolinx, became one of the biggest parking providers in the country. There are roughly 70,000 spaces across the network, including 25,000 added in the last decade. A small number of spots are reserved for people who pay, but 94 per cent of the parking is free. This approach has persisted even as land values have gone up and driving around stations has become more frenetic.

There is extensive research showing that free parking encourages people to drive, leading to overdemand for spaces. While demand can be managed through price, Metrolinx has historically been leery of this approach. The result is those who drive to the train are subsidized by those who don’t, with everyone sharing the cost of providing parking.

As it stands now, 62 per cent of GO rail passengers heading into Toronto start their trip by driving to the station and parking there, with a further 15 per cent being dropped off by car. Only 8.5 per cent arrive at the station on transit and the same number arrive on foot. About 4.5 per cent carpool and just 1 per cent of GO rail passengers ride bicycles to their station.

Metrolinx chief planning officer Leslie Woo said this pattern can’t continue.

“We [analyzed] one station, we took Unionville, and if we kept expanding surface parking at the rate that we’ve been adding, that we would be adding riders, we’d need a site the size of Canada’s Wonderland,” she said.

“If we can figure out how to create the conditions, the right conditions, to make getting to our stations more attractive in other ways other than driving, I think there’s huge benefit. There’s just a general domino benefit.”

Could the end of "free parking" at shopping malls, strip malls, and office parks be next? Could be. Why else do they charge for parking at Canada's Wonderland or Wet'n'Wild Toronto or even the suburban hospitals?

Back